Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • What is happening in this country
  • skidartist
    Free Member

If you are looking for a book to read try

The Tiger that Isn't

If you are believing all these teenage pregnancy, drinking, crime stats then find out where they came from and what they mean. The media thrives on a "Perception Gap", it uses statistics in a very divisive way to create news where non really exists. There are some superb illustrations of this, and Teenage Pregnancy is one of them. Bad information is so prevalent and saturates so deeply that even people with expertise in a field believe the guff over what they see with their own eyes.

As an amusing aside my dad got a job with an education authority once, and between getting the job and starting on his first day new areas of responsibility kept being added to his role. He started out in charge of Art and design, then art and design and technology, then domestic science was added, then special education was added, and education for teenagers is detention and the list kept growing.

On his first day there was a big conference where he was introduced and the long list of his responsibilities was read out, with a new one. The guy introducing him added "…… and he's also responsible for all the pregnant teenagers in Greater Manchester"

maxray
    Free Member

I flicked past the trouble with girls and ended up watching it. I kind of felt sorry for them to be honest 🙁

Yeah I know people will get on their STW steeds and shout down from on high about how they had it hard and came good etc but I could see how they were trapped in their cycle of prison / minor offences.

noteeth
    Free Member

I was seriously discussing the benefits of the hermit life with nickc this weekend.

I believe I have already recommended Thoreau's splendid Walden.

Stoner
    Free Member

would a hermit want to read about the life of a hermit?

😕

noteeth
    Free Member

would a hermit want to read about the life of a hermit?

"We read to know we are not alone…." – Hello excepted, of course.

Thoreau wasn't really a hermit, anyway. More of an overgrown cub scout. 8)

aracer
    Free Member

I can disprove your theory before you even start, Stoner. Down here on the plains where I live the crime rate (2.8 per 1000) makes yours look like an epidemic!

Stoner
    Free Member

counting error innit.
    a calculation anomally.
    All those fingers and toes down in the bogs and they cant add up right….

Bunnyhop

Phew I don't feel so bad now for just watching 'property programmes' on telly. This is what my hubby calls rubbish.

CountZero

I feel better for having watched Chuck, CSI Miami and Hitler's Stealth Fighter tonight. CSI was it's usual overblown self, but the other two were great. Thank God I don't have to share my TV or Sky box with anyone else.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What is happening in this country’ is closed to new replies.