Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What headphones for all day listening?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Sitting at desk cutting code listening to tunes all day (rock, jazz, guitar pop, some Groove Armada/Chemical Bros etc), what cans? Must be comfy for extended periods.

I currently have Bose On Ear, great for out and about but can probably do better for at the desk.

No “Beats by Dre”, I’m nearly 50, let’s keep it real here.

No budget in mind, I don’t mind paying a fair price for good quality.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO. Reviews here

AKG K702 worth a look at sale price, comfortable all day.

Unless you require isolating/noise cancelling headphones…

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    everyone
    Free Member

I have some AKG K550s that are really comfortable. I found the sound a bit too clinical for me though. My mate has just picked up some AKG K701 (I think its those) and reckons they’re amazingly comfortable. They are open though so not ideal for working in a shared office etc.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx folks.

Does “open” mean basically not noise cancelling? That’s OK, I work alone anyway.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes

everyone
    Free Member

Yea open headphones essentially have no insulation that prevents the sound leaking out. They tend to have a wider soundstage than closed back headphones.

damitamit
    Free Member

Open means the sound from the headphones will leak out.

If budget isnt a problem, a pair of Sennheiser HD600/650s with a decent headphone amp and a usb dac (so you can play music from your computer) will be very nice…

johndoh
    Free Member

And open ones will remain comfortable for much longer than closed as they don’t need to sit so tightly on your ears.

I have some Sennheiser ones that are so light and comfortable I forget I am wearing them.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ok. Sounds fine, I don’t need noise cancelling.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack – anyone know of any good ‘bud’ earphones – I like to use them when I ride solo and the hard in-ear ones are very uncomfortable.

I’m looking for a nice sound – not ALL BAAAAAAASS like the terrible Headcandy ones I bought last time around.

Robust too, I only wear them twice at week at most – once to the gym and once on my bike, but they always die in my hands.

Thanks so much.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I used a pair of basic Shure SE112 when I used to go to the gym. Worked well.

plumber
    Free Member

The House of Marley uplift grand 0bm Headphones

I’ve found these to be quite nice bud types

DrJ

Which ones are recommended for listening in the office or on the tube?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Which ones are recommended for listening in the office or on the tube?

Shure SE535 – I wear mine all day at work.

As they are IEMs they couple with the ear better and so you run them at a lower SPL, which is better for your hearing.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Second Beyerdynamics, my DT990s are 7 years old and I use them for at least 3 hours every day. Best audio item I ever bought and if/when they do break I’ll buy the same again.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these: AKG K450 . I think they are pretty awesome. Biiiig sound! I remember listening to Massive Attack’s “Heligoland” album and I could feel my brain was shaking with the low-end these shells produced 😆 But the sound isn’t to “bassy” – it’s just very punchy and live. Just read the review 😉

When you wear them, they isolate most of the sound – tested in extreme scenario: wife fast asleep and me enjoying the latest Decapitated, quite loud :mrgreen:

Very comfortable too.

DezB
    Free Member

anyone know of any good ‘bud’ earphones
    Sennheiser CX300 have lasted me for years.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use a pair of Sennheiser Momentum.

The large over the ear ones are outstanding, but a little too big IMO for listening whilst commuting, so I went for the smaller on the ear version.

over ear:
    http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum

on ear:
    http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum-on-ear-headphone

Tweakie
    Free Member

I bought a set of these at an airport when I forgot my original set of ear buds – LINKY LINKY

They’re good. They’re not a ridiculous amount of money, perform well, have a good range of real-world sound. There are probably better buds out there but they surprised me how good they were.
    If you’re looking at closed earphones, then i’ll watch this thread too, as I’m in the market for some too.

hatter

For listening where leaking noise won’t bother anyone you can’t get much better than Grado.

Sure you look a bit like you should be radioing spitfires but in terms of sound quality they’re utterly sumptuous, probably one of the clearest examples of substance of style I can think of in a consumer product.

I have some SR80i’s and they sound better than Senneheisers, B&W’s and Sonys I’ve had that cost a hell of a lot more.

The basic design belies their light weight and comfort as well, I can happily listen to mine for hours.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx all, button pushed on Beyerdynamics.

everyone
    Free Member

Some people really don’t get on with Grados though, they find them quite uncomfortable.

I know that for me, anything over 2hrs and the grados get uncomfortable. They sound amazing though.

joepose
    Free Member

I have some nice Denons and Sonys but whenever the boys not using them I swap every time for his Dr Dre’s.
    I know you said no Dre,s but don’t discount them just for image.
    Good sound and very comfortable.

slowoldman

I still have a pair of these lovely old things that kicked off the lightweight open back approach.

And these (AKG K-1000)

which sadly don’t get used as frankly I prefer speakers. If leaking sound isn’t an issue, I wouldn’t bother with phones.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Shure SE425’s here, all day wearer at work. Same shape as @Turnerguys SE525’s.

There are others in the range of a similar shape and I assume they’ll be equally comfortable for long wearing periods with the 525’s being top of the range, 425’s next and so on down to the line.

They come with optional iPhone control leads that plug into the earpieces instead of the standard lead.

Benefits of a replicable lead are clear but the iPhone leads outer casing doesn’t last that long, 4 months for me but that’s daily wear, almost.

I find they work best with the included foam buds.

AlexSimon

I’ve listened to my Beyerdynamic DT531s every work day for the last 9 years. Still love them. Been through 3 sets of ear cushions and one connector rewire.

Very easy to listen to, never tiring and just sound really good. They even flatter radio streams.

Normally I just listen to them plugged into the PC, but I also have a Naim headphone amp too only my main system – still quite happy plugging them into the PC.

johnners
    Free Member

For listening where leaking noise won’t bother anyone you can’t get much better than Grado.

Grado sound very nice indeed if you’re after Open, and you can bet none of the money has been spent on styling them. Which pair obviously depends how much you have to spend, but for me the SR60is sound great, and the bang per buck curve flattens off pretty soon after.

CountZero

No “Beats by Dre”, I’m nearly 50, let’s keep it real here.

Umm, I was wearing mine this afternoon, and I was 60 in July…
    Mine are Solo HD’s, bought from ebay for £70, and certainly the sound has been compromised in favour of their target market, which is the EDM/rap crowd, so emphasis on bass to the detriment of mid/top.
    However, if you’re using an iDevice, specifically an iPhone/Touch, there’s a brilliant app called EQu, which allows very fine tuning of the entire frequency range, as a result my Beats sound easily as good as my Shure/UE IEM’s.
    They have the advantage of having a cable with a remote and 3.5mm Jack on each end, so easily and cheaply replaceable.
    The new Solo II’s apparently have a much more balanced, neutral sound. I really like mine, I’ve worn them for hours at a time, without fatigue, including running a very noisy machine with a 92dB background noise, with a fair degree of noise attenuation.
    Otherwise I’d recommend the Shure SE215 ‘phones, you can get them for around £70 now, but ignore the iPhone cable with remote, as coolhandluke says, it’s rubbish. Get the UE900 remote lead from Logitec, it’s £20, plus postage, and much superior.

iolo
    Free Member

Mine are Solo HD’s, bought from ebay for £70,

I hope you got the original receipt for these.
    One of the most reproduced items for sale on the Bay.

soundb0y
    Free Member

I bought some bose quietcomfort 25s a couple of months back and absolutely love them. They sound great and very comfortable.

Gotta love noise cancelling too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well I WAS gonna say Bose QC 15’s as I wear them on long flights & don’t know they’re there. (apart from I can hear nice music ovbiously) 8)

Noise cancelling so I can only hear music, not the aircraft or the missus. 😉

CountZero

I’ve been trying to find the UE900 cables on Logitec’s site but can’t locate them, however I’ve found them here,
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/161464754381
    which cost about the same when you factor in the EU postage, which was £8.50 for mine.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What headphones for all day listening?’ is closed to new replies.