Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What happens when you've actually upgraded EVERYTHING on your bike?
  • maxtorque

We all like a bit of upgradeitus, but what happens when every single part has been upgraded finally and there is no more “up” to go to? Do i just buy another bike and start again?? 😉

peteimpreza

yes

momo

Ride it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You need a new wheel size.

poah
    Free Member

you buy the latest release for each item.

stevied
    Free Member

Let’s see your spec and see if we can recommend some more upgrades 😀

wwaswas

In my case I have a shed full of bits that were taken off the upgraded bike so add a new frame and I can build a whole ‘new’ bike.

Then it all starts again.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its a bit like Trigger’s broom innit? You upgrade the frame. Not actually a new bike, just a component…

benp1

1 – Ride it, break it, start again
    2 – Buy another bike
    3 – Spend the money on trips

Pics and specs would be helpful!

ninfan
    Free Member

What happens when you’ve actually upgraded EVERYTHING on your bike?

Manufacturer will change standard so that your next upgrade is not compatible with anything you’ve already bought

medoramas
    Free Member

Or you go rigid single speed… 😆

euans2
    Free Member

Ride it for a week, sell it (lose a fortune) and start again

DaRC_L

Like Triggers Broom you replace the frame

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been in this situation quite a few times I find it quite cathartic

* new stuff no longer appeals because it’s worse than what you’ve got
    * everybody else’s bike sucks
    * your bike cannot be used as an excuse for failure

Pretty good situation tbh

TiRed

New frame for the old parts.

hatter

Is it compatible with the new Boost standard?

If not, I have bad news for you.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Time to go xt11 speed 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

Do you have Di2 shifting?

maxtorque

stevied
    Let’s see your spec and see if we can recommend some more upgrades

FRAME: 2013/14 Lapierre Zesty 714 carbon in large (’cause i’m lanky!)
    Fork: 650b 160mm Pike RCT3
    Headset: Works Components low stack intergrated 1deg slackset
    Shock: CCDBair for 162mm rear travel (with Spicy shock shuttle)
    Wheels: 26″ 2013 Mavic ST
    Tyres: Hans Dampfs, Supergravity, TrailStar at both ends
    Brakes Front: Shimano Saint 4pots 203mm
    Rear: Shimano Saint 4pots 180mm
    Bars: 780mm Easton Havoc carbons with ODi lock on grips
    Cranks: SRAM xx1
    BB: SRAM GPX ceramic
    Chain Device: E13 XCX-ST upper
    Pedals, Either: Nukeproof electrons (the placcy ones)
    OR: XTR trail SPDs
    Front chain wheel: SRAM xx1 (34/32/30 options fitted depending on terrain)
    Cassette: XTR 10 spd + OneUp 42t extender dinner plate cog
    Mech:XTR shadow plus with OneUp Radr cage, and CNC ally ceramic bearing jockies
    Chain: XTR 10spd
    Seat Post: RS Reverb
    Seat: Fizik Gobi XM

Really, i’m just missing some blingy Carbon rims, but so far, i’m not really convinced they make that much difference, and i kinda like the ability to “straighten” a dinged ally rim if necessary?

maxtorque

nickdavies

There’s loads of up left on that.. the obvious one would be moving to XX1 cassette which then is an excuse for nice shiny new wheels. Your wheels can be converted to XX1 freehub if you want to eek out the upgradeitis a bit longer.

Then you need shifters and rear mech in either XTR or XX1 flavour. (Ensuring XTR is mechanical, thereby leaving a DI2 upgrade path in 3 months time)

Then a direct mount narrow wide for the XX1 cranks to save a few grams, bonus points for oval.

It’s a Zesty, so by the time you’ve done all that the frame will probably have cracked and then it’s new frame time and the process continues! 😉

honourablegeorge

I’d get some nice flat pedals and ditch those plastic things.

TBH, I’m in the same boat – sorely tempted by a set of carbon wheels, but can’t really see the sense in a new set of 26″ wheels, but equally not ready to lash out on a new 650b frame either.

Of course, all this means I have a bike I love and I might just spend my money on something sensible.

core

In my case, upgraded everything besides the mechs, then bought an inbred frame off here, and built up a ss hack with the cast off parts plus a few 2nd hand extras.

Then swapped my ‘good’ bike frame, (genesis core) for a mk2 Soul. Now just riding it, and bloody love it.

Sold the inbred frame and cranks to a mate, the core frame, stem and bars to another mate, and am now just left with a spare set of alex/shimano 26″ wheels and a few odd bits.

Also just built a Scandal 29er up, not that fussed on it at the moment 🙁

I can see the scandal going if our relationship doesn’t improve, a cx/gravel bike joining the fleet, and another hack getting built.

BUT I like the soul so much I think I’m going to snap up an orange MK3 if a large comes up to future proof myself. I’ve got decent 26″ wheels, but scared of not being able to get decent straight steerer forks down the line. The MK2 could then become a bit of a hack………

TheBrick
    Free Member

IF everything has been replaced surly its…

stewartc
    Free Member

Did a Triggers Broom with my old SB66c, even going as far as changing the frame (crash replacement, different color scheme), every single component from seatpost clamp to the drive train (XT 2×10-XT 1×10-XX1) was changed over a 12 month period.
    When I sold it I realised I had probably spent enough to buy 2 of the same bikes, did I learn my lesson, did I hell.

v666ern
    Free Member

Wheels: 26

PAH!

maxtorque

I’m not moving to direct mount chain rings because i like being able to change them without taking the cranks off the bike! Currently, it takes me just 2min to pop off (4bolts) the 32 and replace it with the 30 toother, or vise-versa before a ride etc

I can’t really see the point in moving to an xx1 cassette, as my XTR one with the range extender pretty much does exactly the same (ok, i ‘ve not got quite as tall a top gear, but it’s a big tall 160mm bike, so i’m not exactly going to be setting any on-road speed records and hence no need a tall gear to pedal in)

Also, i want my bike to be completely mechanical, ie no electronics on it, so no Di2, or EI etc for me please 😉

mrhoppy

Upgrade your house to live near some decent riding?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I dont understand … there is always another upgrade.

maxtorque

mrhoppy
    Upgrade your house to live near some decent riding?

If we could also move the UKs entire motorsport and automotive industry to North Wales that’d be dandy! 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

26″ wheels, there’s your problem right there!

br
    Free Member

TrailStar at both ends

faster tyre on the rear

brooess
    Free Member

You need a new wheel size.

And there you have the strategy of a mature industry which is facing little future growth after they’ve inadvertently made everything good enough and cheap enough that there’s nothing left we need to upgrade 🙂

OP – remember N+1. There’s always a cross bike, gravel bike and turning into a stiffback roadie… although you’ll have to forget how to smile if you do that 😉

AlexSimon

What would you do if you were talking about your car?
    Make something custom for it?

I_Ache
    Free Member

You spend more time and money getting that Ibiza sorted.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’ve run out of reasonable upgrades… all I have left is replacing good stuff with silly expensive stuff that won’t make the bike any better, just more expensive to fix/replace!

Almost bought some hope cranks for it, but decided my XTs are just as good in the end.

Buy a van! that’s what I did. Once I’ve bought all the T4 related tat and upgrades for it, and converted it into a stealth camper, I’ll have to buy a helicopter or something…

wwaswas

What would you do if you were talking about your car?

Furry Dice?

hora
    Free Member

The ironic thing is bar frame and forks absolutely everything on my bike is ridden until its broken.

On STW- I bet there are a fair few riders with multiple Reverb droppers etc etc on more than one bike.

For me- thats madness.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I learned a couple of years ago a Bike is a collection of bits, you might call it by the name of the frame, but really the frame is just the biggest bit, with the biggest logo on the side.

Until 650b came along and made it much harder there was no end to my bikes potential, it’s currently all held together by it’s 3rd frame.

As above, it’s sort of come to a crashing end now – I only tend to replace broken or worn out stuff now – there’s nothing new or exciting coming out in 26″ spec anymore, so I’m left with buying a new frame / forks and wheels which combined is a pretty expensive proposition – easily £3k if I want all new, which begs the question – why not spend that on a whole new bike – a Capra for example, apart from being a bit small for really tall people (of which I am not) I’ve never heard a bad word about them – still, 3 grand to replace a bike which is brilliant already, just because I can’t upgrade it anymore – nuts – I guess I’ll wait till it’s truly worn out and dead and hang it on the wall or something.

wwaswas

I bet there are a fair few riders with multiple Reverb droppers etc etc on more than one bike.

it helps with spontaneous pre-ride bike choices if they’re all rideable all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What happens when you've actually upgraded EVERYTHING on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.