Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What handlebar width for Scafell Pike?
  • Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

I did Snowdon last year but some big boys laughed at me because I had the wrong width handlebars. They said I should be running 24.5ins and not 24.25ins.

Also, some bloke in the Campsite at Capel Curig said that my 1×10 setup was wrong for North Wales and that I needed to go back to England and take up knitting.

So question is what is the correct combination for an ascent of Scafell Pike?

1×10 with 24.5ins bars or 1×10 with 24.25ins bars or 32-46 with 24.5ins bars or 32-46 with 24.25ins bars?

Please help —– I fear that I may never be able to make such a crucial decision and that I might have to spend all of my time talking about bikes rather than riding them.

qwerty
    Free Member

Shoulder width. Anything else isn’t CX.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m guessing red socks & walking boots would be more important than bar width as it’s a footpath & not a bridleway?
    Everyone knows that Helvelyn is the highest Bridleway.. 😉

RustySpanner

What colour are your pedals?

everyone
    Free Member

What’s with this sudden influx of obsolete units?

brokenbanjo

Obsolete units indeed, I can’t fathom this out at all. This post is truly in a league of its own.

scaredypants

brokenbanjo, stop pulling his chain or he’ll tell you to get knotted

burnie
    Free Member

Bars should obviously be as wide as possible (superstar yardstick afaik! What was wrong with you 1×10? I thought that’s what everyone was supposed to run!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run two dropper posts clamped in my stem. Then I can “drop” them both for pulling down on the climbs or tight woody singletrack, then extend them both for getting rad to the power gnar.

If it’s going to be a really long day, I might fit a saddle to each to use as a comfy bar end.

boxelder

Carry the bars and leave the rest of the bike at the bottom – you’ll ride sod all of Scafell.

jekkyl

the scramble up to Mickledore would make a great sketchy descent but the rest would be rubbish, steps all the way.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

x1 Boxelder, Scafells the last place I would want to ride in the Lakes, Esk Hause Summit cairn is about as good as it gets..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Serious?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

s it’s a footpath & not a bridleway

Its been ridden before by one of the magazines with the owners permission.

Everyone knows that Helvelyn is the highest Bridleway

I didn’t, I thouht it was Skiddaw? But maybe thats the biggest vertical distance with the Helvelyn on starting higher?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

26.11in bars are required, as are 172.5mm cranks and a 0.602 .metre top tube. Tyres must be under 1100g and frame at least 6.75lbs.

I’d also keep tubes over 8oz just to be sure.

You’re right, there IS a lot of bollox being discussed here and similar places! What ‘x’ for ‘y’… have people no idea what mountain biking actually is?

ton

I reckon you ride a Orange Five/Alpine/Patriot/Strange pile of crap…….so your handlebar width is the least of your problems…. 8)

ransos
    Free Member

Its been ridden before by one of the magazines with the owners permission.

I suspect most of it was walked. A bike makes for a heavy and awkwardly shaped rucksack, so the question is why bother?

asterix
    Free Member

What are you on about? The only thing that sets handlebar width is the gaps between the trees. So it’s a reasonable question if the OP doesn’t know . But luckily there arnt too many up thrre

bokonon
    Free Member

900mm bars, 1×12 electronic shifting, 30″ wheels only for Scafell.

andytherocketeer

I’d be taking one of those strange trials bikes with no seat. Easier to carry up, and then can hop from rock to rock on the way down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suspect most of it was walked. A bike makes for a heavy and awkwardly shaped rucksack, so the question is why bother?

I dunno, I remember thinking when walking up that it’d be an easier ride than Ben Nevis. Lot’s of steep steps, but for the most part a rideable challenge on the way down.

parkesie
    Free Member

It doesnt matter so long as you are wearing blue oakleys.

ransos
    Free Member

I dunno, I remember thinking when walking up that it’d be an easier ride than Ben Nevis. Lot’s of steep steps, but for the most part a rideable challenge on the way down.

See, I remember thinking when walking up Ben Nevis that it’d be an easier ride than Scafell! Sure, a lot of the descent is rideable, but you’d have to walk most of the climb, and it takes a fair while on foot.

maxtorque

Can you cycle through this, without clipping your barends?

If so, your bars are too narrow……..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What handlebar width for Scafell Pike?’ is closed to new replies.