Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what gps for navigation these days?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

local mtb group has a pile of rides on strava that i want to go explore and wondered what gps system people were using these days for following routes – indeed if any, should i just get an app for my iphone?

i’ve got a really old etrex legend but it was always a bit hit or miss to use, i’m guessing modern units are a lot more accurate.

if i do get one i’ll be looking for a used one so any recommendations of good buys to look for would be good, thanks.

senorj

I really like view ranger.
    Great maps.

Superficial
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 510 if you just want to follow a route, or the 800 or 1000 series if you want maps on the device as well.
    I haven’t found a great iPhone app but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t one. View Ranger is OK, you can plot the route on Open Street Maps which aren’t quite as good as OS maps but they are free.

timba
    Free Member

Not cycling specific, but fits on a bike…Etrex 30 (20 is apparently good for this too)

andyjh

I use a Garmin 800 with the free OSM maps with good results. Remember though that you won’t get turn by turn directions off road so you just have to keep an eye on the map constantly.

leeph
    Free Member

Recommend Garmin 800….. Like the one I have on the classifieds for sale at moment.

For someone with limited PC knowledge like me, just seems easy to transfer gpx files into rides I can follow and even race against with the virtual partner.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve recently started using an Edge 1000. Mapping and riding screens are great, and can be set up in whatever format you want. Route planning is nice and easy as well, can even specify what sort of terrain/surface you’re after.

Garmin’s servers are a bit shit, though.

Conan257
    Free Member

If you’ve the spare cash, then a dedicated Garmin 800 upwards is teh way to go.

If you want to save money, like me, use a Motorola Defy Mini bodged onto a light mount. Cost me £50 ish and does everything i’d want from a Garmin.

I’ve a small thread on here somewhere…

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

tell me more about that motorola defy Conan257, what software do you use and how about mounting it, do you have a waterproof case?

i like the idea of getting a garmin 800 or something, i’ll have a look for your ad leeph, but realistically, and as much as i daydream about all day summer epics on the depths of dartmoor, i just want something that i can usev to occasionally follow the odd route locally that i don’t know.

Clobber
    Free Member

I was wondering about this but surely the garmins are due an update, I wouldn’t want to splash the cash if they are about to release a new one.

This is idle speculation though, I have no idea about new garmin products.

njee20
    Free Member

Remember though that you won’t get turn by turn directions off road so you just have to keep an eye on the map constantly.

You do with the Edge 1000, which is a superb bit of kit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what gps for navigation these days?’ is closed to new replies.