Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What full sus frame 100-120mm for about a grand?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Simple question really my best made has been advised by his physio to stop riding his bike cause it’s bad for his back. He’s said not a chance. Up till now he’s always ridden lightweight hardtails in a very xc style set up. Like his current lapierre carbon which isn’t doing him any favours in terms of riding position or the amount of shocks it’s transferring through to his back. He’s now looking for a full bouncer to ease off his back. Probably around the 100-120mm mark so he can build it up with his existing components as opposed to having to buy new forks too. Plus he’s not really into the whole freeride thing. So has no interest in a heavy 140+mm bike.

So with that in mind he has about €1,200-1,300 to spend (we’re in oirland) could probably stretch to €1,500 for the right frame. So i guess that’s around a grand sterling, up to possibly twelve thirteen hundred at a push. Any suggestions for what’s really good & preferably light for the money?

bol

A giant anthem x or a specialized epic would probably suit him. Might be cheapest to buy an anthem complete and sell the parts rather than buy it frame only IIRC.

Kit
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Superlight?

neninja
    Free Member

You’d get an Anthem X frame for that sort of money – would certainly fit that description

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

You could get a Cannondale RZ120 or Giant Trance x full bike for just over £1k sterling from Pauls Cycles

Gives him the option of keepin the racey Lapierre for a while untill he sees how he gets on. Then could swap bits or sell one or whatever when he knows how he stands with the back and what he wants from the bike.

frank4short
    Free Member

Forgot to add one detail he’s really short like 5’3″ so needs to come in a really small size too.

vrapan
    Free Member

Anthem X comes in XS (14.5″) but only in frame, complete XS bikes are not available in Europe I don’t think – well not the 2010 and 2011 models. Unfortunately if he has has very short legs the standover is still quite high for anyone below 5 5″.

Trek’s smallest size is an even better fit but Trek only sells full bikes – they do a frame but it is their very high end one which is not within budget.

Also a Yeti ASR-5 frame falls within that budget….

Edit : Yeap was just checking and the Yeti ASR-5 XS is that bit smaller than an Anthem X XS… If he buys the Yeti and does not like it let me know and I will swap with him! LOL 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

only 25% over budget:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49570

and small sizes.

very plush and efficient suspension system and no need for propedal.

si-wilson
    Free Member

We have a few small Chumba VF2 frames (127mm travel) priced at £899

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I was going to say he could buy my Turner burner for a lot less, but as he’s short that won’t work 😉

Seriously he should try a thudbuster LT in his own frame. If his problem is that he is lazy & rides sitting down a lot (like me) I can say from experience that it can be more comfortable than a racy XC FS if you use the softest elatomasters.

Cheers.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Superlight £899

superlight 🙂

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Rose Jabba Wood – I just got a 2010, sold the parts, kept the frame, very nice frame btw

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

just bought a santa cruz superlight frame and put 120mm forks up front its rides so well ! just enough travel to blast on the downhills and the 100mm at the rear is really plush , cant see why I need anything more IMO 🙂

sv

Specialized Camber from Freeborn cycles (10% off plus 10% spesh vouchers).

frank4short
    Free Member

Bump for the day shift in case anyone has a good idea that’s not been suggested yet.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d try a suspension seat post. If the back trouble is from staying in the seat then sus post will make a huge difference.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Bit OT, but odd a physio saying to stop riding, every physio or osteopath I have seen or spoken to has always advised me to keep riding as the benefits of exercise/cycling easily, in their opinion, far out way the damage…Although obviously I have no idea what his condition is…I will shut up now!

beanum

LaPierre X-Control? The smallest frame size is 41cm but I’m not sure it’s available frame only… The 210 is only £1500, buy it and sell the parts?

scottishbadger
    Free Member
    Mintman
    Free Member

Pace 405

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What full sus frame 100-120mm for about a grand?’ is closed to new replies.