Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • What frame is better than my pitch?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Nothing at all wrong with my pitch, in fact i love it 🙂
    In a car park conversation today Blower said that all 150mm-ish bikes are much of a muchness, i think that he is right!
    Slack head, steepish seat, long and low.
    Is there a frame out there that is significantly better than my pitch, i am struggling to think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What was it you were going to buy before you got the pitch?

maxtorque

Define “better”??

Do mean lighter, or stronger, or slacker, or a better climber, or a better descender, or a sexier brand, or a different wheel size etc etc etc…….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

al – el crappo!
    not wheel size – 26″ is firmly where i’m at
    Lighter – maybe but the pitch is not a heavy frame
    slacker – maybe but not much
    descending and climbing are down to me
    suppose looks are the only thing, even then it’s not ugly!!

Really want an alpine 160 i suppose!

sprocker
    Free Member

I think them banshee spitfire s look good low slack and not to much travel

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Keep the Pitch. Bit of a modern classic IMO.

breadcrumb

Took my Pitch out round Whinlatter for the first time in ages. Some bits felt a bit meh but anything a bit more technical and it felt great.

I might treat it to some upgrades next year but its going nowhere soon.

robdob
    Free Member

Just upgrading mine to 10sp, some nicer bits and bobs too.

I love mine and don’t think I’ll replace it for many years.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

im in same boat keep dreaming of a change but the bike a great little thing so think i will be sticking with it. mine is the comp so may upgrade rear shock soon

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some bits felt a bit meh but anything a bit more technical and it felt great.

They are not XC bikes in any form really. 🙂

wurzelcube
    Free Member

As an expensive alternative.. Stumpy Evo?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stpy or enduro evo are the only 2 that flaot my boat!
    At the minute the spec is cracking:
    Pitch frame (of course)
    Pro 2 evos on flow ex rims
    Chunky monkey tyres tubeless
    new style XT brakes
    SLX cranks (new style) with works components thick thin ring
    Zee clutch mech
    Xt cassette
    Xt shifter
    Reverb
    Charge knife saddle
    Spank spike super low stem
    Easton Haven bars
    Hope BB

No shit or heavy bits on it in reality – Just got cash thats all 🙂

ansdy

I have very fond memories of my Pitch and had a long held view that there wasn’t any thing better – and for the money I still don’t there has been anything that beats performance V’s price.

I’m on a Carbine now, and it is (unfortunately for the Pitch) streets ahead. Similar in geometry but lighter and the suspension performs better (IMO of course).

But for the frame only, it cost more than the complete Pitch- and then some.

I don’t think we’re likely to see a bike like the Pitch again!

I_Ache
    Free Member

The newer Enduro will be lighter and probably faster. My ’11 Enduro Evo is better in every way than my pitch or ’06 Enduro was. I enjoyed my pitch but felt it was a bit floppy with 160mm forks, my evo doesn’t have this floppyness despite being a bit slacker.

breadcrumb

They are not XC bikes in any form really.

Yup, that’s a fair point. Still good for all day rides in the lakes though.

I normally ride my (rigid) Unit round Whinlatter, so the sections I like on that are a bit plain for the Pitch, but the bits that knock several shades out of me on the Unit and great on the Pitch.

razorrazoo

Regardless of how you rate your pitch, to describe all 150mm bikes as much of a muchness is utter rubbish. And of course the best is always a matter of opinion.

DanW
    Free Member

Cannondale Jekyll?

Seems to be everything a 150mm bike should be and very versatile yet they really don’t seem to be popular. I guess the pricing and poor value of the full bike is mostly to blame…

Rosss
    Free Member

I had a pitch a while back but sold it as it got too small, i’ve since had a stumpy and i’m now on a Mojo HD. They’re all similar in travel but all very different bikes. That said i’d have a pitch back any day

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Only thing I would change is to a tapered head tube

Mugboo

You can’t all ride an Alpine… 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It’s funny how popular the Pitch now is – the first year Spesh did them they really struggled to sell them, big discounts and what not. They had so much stock left they carried it over for a second year (the only time I can think of), when suddenly everyone started saying how amazing they were. Very odd.

shortcut

I have a mate who chapped in a Yeti 575 for one, swore it was the best bike ever and I believe it has been hung up in the garage for a year or so now.

singlespeedstu

descending and climbing are down to me

This is the ultimate truth.

Everything else is just minor detail.

1.Shit ride and good bike=shit rider that’s trying to bluff it.
    2.Good rider and shit bike=good rider.

Statements like this make me think you fall into one of the two above statements. 😉

Thought TBF there aren’t that many propper shit bikes out there any more.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, If my Pitch had a tapered Head tube it would be perfect.
    I’ve demoed a blur tr and a Bronson. The tr was good and the Bronson was ok.
    I would only need the frame and there is NO WAY they were £2000 better than the Pitch.
    I’m just going to pimp my Pitch.

MarkLG
    Free Member

This is probably why I’ll end up changing my 08 Enduro. The options for changing the forks are getting increasing restricted now that tapered has become the norm. It’ll probably be a Stumpy Evo Carbon for me, but probably not for a good while.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stu – tapered head tube = more fork choice thast all

nosedive
    Free Member

i miss my pitch. got a 2010 enduro now which is a better bike in every way but i still regret selling the pitch

grum
    Free Member

Still love my Pitch. Sometimes wish it was teeny bit shorter/lighter but it’s difficult to justify replacing it at current prices.

robdob
    Free Member

At the end of the day the rider is the majority of how fast a bike is.

I’m slow uphill on this on this because I’m fat and unfit. If there was an exact copy of me riding a lighter newer more XC bike at exactly the same time they might be faster uphill. But there isn’t.

At the same time I’ve ridden this and been held up by people on modern full sus disc brake bikes on downhills.

So my Pitch isn’t an XC bike. Or a freeallmountaindownhardcoreslopestylejump bike either. It’s just a bike and I love it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A 650b Ancillotti. Nom, nom nom

grum
    Free Member

Really? You think that looks appealing!?

Really?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yuuuup. At least it doesn’t look like another Trek. Nice and functional with the weight distributed as low as possible – and they can be built down to about 30lbs which isn’t too bad.

It’s sex on wheels. :mrgreen:

grum
    Free Member

Each to their own I guess. 😕

Seeing as we are posting pics I’ll trot this one out again….

robowns
    Free Member

That bike is hideous

jam-bo

Normally like a lotti but that ones been hit with the particularly ugly stick.

Got a Kona process 134 on test at the moment, seriously impressed.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

That ancillotti is absolutely hideous. It looks like something from halfords children’s f/s section strapped on with expensive kit

Seriously WTF it has to be a wind up?

renton
    Free Member

I know what you are saying about the Pitch, really good bikes!

Have you thought about a shock upgrade for the back end??

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Had a pitch now have a five, the five feels much more stable on descents but the pitch climbed slightly better and felt poppier (less planted). Other than that not really a huge change… Good bike.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Halfords bike? Pahh you guys have no taste.

chip
    Free Member

I really like the look of that Ancillotti.

But, I do own two halfords bikes, (and a five, walks away slowly casually whistling with hands behind back.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What frame is better than my pitch?’ is closed to new replies.