Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What fatbike cranks?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hi so starting the purchase of parts for my new fatbike, what are the cranks of choice please?
    100mm bottom bracket, so will need bb as well.
    Does Raceface one come with bb?

Cheers

slowboydickie

My Hope silver still looks bling after a year of riding. Plus you can change the 100mm spindle to 120 or regular sizes if you want.

It’s not the lightest though. Gee76 is flogging a new xx1 chainset with 100mm spindle in the for sale section.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got the Aeffect cranks, no BB included. Direct mount chainring so you can use small oval rings should you so wish.

wwaswas

I got these for my SS Fatty – they’ve been fine and small chain ring is good on a fatty if you’re going single ring too.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-chainsets-cranks/sram-gx-1000-fat-bike-11-speed-gxp-chainset-single

dovebiker

I have RaceFace Turbines and Aeffects. Firstly, avoid the RF BBs – they’re rubbish. Just fitted a Wheels Manufacturing BB with the Turbines – bigger bearings and better sealing so hopefully expect far better life. Aeffect uses 24mm spindle, so you have lots of choice e.g. Shimano HT2. A key decision is whether you’re running 2x or 1x transmission – spiderless also means you can drop to a single ring smaller that 32 which if you’re planning laden, offroad riding or snow is a real benefit. Haven’t found the need for a ‘big ring’ as I rarely ride tarmac and pushing big rubber at 20mph consumes lots of energy. Keeping the BB shielded from muck also helps prolong BB bearing and chain life – I have a simple guards on both downtube and seatube which keeps the worst off the BB

dufusdip
    Free Member

Affect cranks for me too as I wanted flexibility to run a normal cassette with a smaller oval than my current 34 x 50 as granny, when the one up wears out.

Hope bb bearing went in one side after only 2 months so using race face bb and found it to be fine.

nedrapier

Aeffect. Shimano BBs. Got a few 104mm rings around the place, so I got the double spider and using that with spacers. Got the option of a double if there’s a big adventure on the cards.

roverpig

Aeffect with a wheels manufacturing BB and a 26T direct mount chainring for me. The Aeffect cranks came with the bike and I thought I’d upgrade but really can’t see any point as they do the job just fine. The WM BB replaced the original press fit one but the Aeffects just use a “standard” 24mm spindle so you’ve got lots of choice for BBs. The tricky bit is working out spindle lengths and how many spacers to use for your setup. I’m using the shorter spindle (designed for a 170 rear) but with the chainring flipped on my 190 rear.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What fatbike cranks?’ is closed to new replies.