Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • what exterior wood preservative for a shed?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a proper good waterproof product that’s as close to creosote as possible?! The last twice I’ve bought stuff it’s gone on like thinned down paint and not been a proper waterproof barrier that raindrops bead upon, and the shed is looking damp around the floor and bottom part of the sides. I suspect rain is getting in along one lower side as it’s only the floor next to there that’s wet.

Any right proper oily wood preservatives out there?

z1ppy

My brothers a fan of the self mix, old engine/diesel/any chemical your going to dump… his fence looks great though.

Looks like he’s got it right..

falkirk-mark

I use decking oil on mine, give it a good coat as you cannot overcoat it after the initial coat, then repeat every couple of years

bigG
    Free Member

Why not just buy some proper creosote and use that?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Good one bigG, I’d heard it was not available for sale but didn’t know there was an exemption for trade. Lucky I’m a landscape contractor 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

zippy, I’m not sure I’d want to paint my shed with diesel given it’s got a few combustion engines, petrol, bbq and firelighters inside!

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Get a jar of diesel and some matches and see how long it takes to catch fire.

z1ppy

Add some oil into the mix then try again… yes it flamable if heated, but no more so than creosote. I knew it was available to the trade, but assumed you weren’t trade…

project
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘what exterior wood preservative for a shed?’ is closed to new replies.