Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What do you think of this bike ?
  • MarkDatz
    Free Member

wikkid

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Looks good value for the money, but it’ll be heavy.

Sirlickalot
    Free Member

Was £399.99! WTF?

james0706
    Free Member

It is not heavy, saw it in shop.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

It costs less than £400 rrp. It will be heavy

Chadders
    Free Member

If that is your budget, then go for it.

It will be loads better than the “full suspension” ones at the same price.

if you could stretch to say £300 though, you could prob get a much better brand/quality bike thats perhaps a 2010 model on clearence

peteimpreza

It’s only seven speed so upgrades won’t be easy or cheap.

If that is the limit of your budget I would suggest you have a look out for second hand of the STW classifieds (put a wanted ad up) or elsewhere.

JB
    Free Member

I wouldnt touch it but then again it all depends what your going to do with it… would rather spend the cash on something decent 2nd hand!

kimbers

as a mountainbike i suspect it will be heavy and with poor pedals, grips and saddle uncomfortable for long periods off road
    however replacing those contact points and probably fitting some decent tyres it would probably be fine

for 50 quid more this would be much much much better
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p1897

radoggair
    Free Member

love in the specs it says ‘exact frame size= 20″‘, then a few lines below it says ‘frame size -19-20’. Classic.

I personally wouldn’t touch it and as peteimpreza says, i’d look around for some better bargains

james0706
    Free Member

It is not heavy, i have felt the weight and its light. i’ve had a second hand one before and it was a big mistake, it broke within 2 weeks if having it (it was only canel riding aswell )

bassspine
    Free Member

at 180 it’s not too bad. At 399 it was massively overpriced.

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    peteimpreza

Weight is relative James.

I can guarantee that bike is a lot heavier than any of my, or lots of others on this thread, bikes. Even my 140mm full suspension bike.

However, and here is the rub, they will also be much more expensive, 20 or 30 times the cost of that Apollo.

Search a bit more I am sure you can find something a whole lot better for not a lot more.

In fact I will search myself I like a challenge!!

james0706
    Free Member

How the hell is that better, it’s a rigid frame an the tyres are road tyres !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not bad vfm but you could outgrow it quickly

james0706
    Free Member

Ok then go ahead.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

james – because the top one is what can only be described as shite! The carerra is a hybrid with road tyre son and WILL be as capable as that bag of shite you have linked to but will be lighter and better than super heavy “suspension” forks!!

BTW yours is also a “rigid frame” and it has shit tyres

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Ur bik iz saracin

firestarter
    Free Member

Rr is correct 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

james0706 – Member

It is not heavy, i have felt the weight and its light. i’ve had a second hand one before and it was a big mistake, it broke within 2 weeks if having it (it was only canel riding aswell )

so why buy another and why ask the question if you know the answer??

james0706
    Free Member

WTF you on about, its apollo. Yeah but it has suspension, and the tyres are way better than them road tyres, they wouldnt last 5mins off road !

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

James biog
    “I’m 13 mad about mtb (but havent been doing it long) and i want to get more Serious, hope you can help. ”

james0706
    Free Member

I didnt ask the question, i was just answering what you lot said, becuase, i have had loads of shite second hands !

james0706
    Free Member

WTF u all on about ?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Its lucky James that the snow is melting and you can continue you education tomorrow. Carrera is quite shite, but appolo is definitely 100% shite.

Euro
    Free Member

It’s a replica mountain bike and as such shouldn’t be used off-road.

Northwind

Kind of assuming this is a troll but what the hell…

The Apollo hardtails aren’t all that awful. I had worse bikes in the 90s and made them go both up AND down hills. Better than this forum would give them credit for, but still pretty nasty.

The Carrera Subways are decent. The rigid fork is better than really poor forks, that’s a fact, and you can always fit offroad tyres- the tyres on the Apollo will be awful, cheap off road tyres always are.

(one of my current bikes is my old Carrera Kraken, knocked back into service with a set of rigid forks- works better now than it did when it had its Suntour XCRs, and those forks even when completely worn out were better than what you’ve got there on the Apollo)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spend a little bit more and get a basic real mountainbike from a decent manufacturer.

That one is meant to look like a good buy but it will be cheap and nasty

Or get a quality bike secondhand

kudos100
    Free Member

I had an apollo as my first mountain bike. It was crap, but better than nothing.

That one would make a great lakejumping bike.

james0706
    Free Member

Arnt all mountain bikes though cause theres always another one like it and its a mountain with nobley tyres with front suspensin so i think you will find you can use it off-road

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am looking forwards to reading an ebay advert from James in a few years. The spelling is coming on a treat. Phrases like “duble suspensin” will feature I am sure 😉

Euro
    Free Member

I bought one of those as a centre piece for the living room. I had to remove the ‘not suitable for off-road use’ sticker though.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

i thought you had a new bike a month ago???? or at least that what you said in an earlier thread!-trolltabulous

mieszko
    Free Member

Answer is simple: no 🙂 With the Apollo You get a heavy fork that has no damping and will either explode or just stop working completely after the first rain, however even if not working it will still weight a lot. Single wall rims, probably not the strongest as well. Like others pointed out 7 speed bike, shimano equipped, most of it is Tourney so lowest group. Some mud etc and it will stop working. The disc brakes are also a fashion accessory on it and I would check whether You can get spare pads for them or adjust the brakes in any way.

Carrera makes good bikes and if You are on a budget than they are worth a look. You are on a budget, get a bike that has normal V brakes and a rigid fork. Savings in those areas will generally mean better frame and better equipment. However if You are sold on the looks and don’t want to listen to some good advice than You will soon regret it. The bike will probably start falling to bits after some awsum offroad action and if You don’t know or don’t have the tools to change parts/repair it it will cost You almost as much for paying Your LBS to do it.

The Diamondback is a good choice. Try Decathlon, they do good bikes at a good price:
    Rockrider 5.2

Or Carrera Vengeance from Halfords

It’s a bit more than Your budget but You will save on the future repair bills and trips to the LBS.

yunki
    Free Member

listen to mieszko coz the advice he is giving you is as wise as yoda..

julianwilson
    Free Member

Sirlickalot – Member

Was £399.99! WTF?

Halfords do this with a lot of their own bikes. Somewhere this bike has been on sale for £399 and quite righty no one has bought it for that sort of money. £180 is much more like it, but very misleading to the not-particularly-up-on-bikes public that see the adverts in newspapers or wander in on a sunday afternoon and think they are getting a bargain. Like those god-awful clothes shops ‘Officers Club’ and ‘Madhouse’. I know everyone in big retail does this to a lesser or greater extent, but it is still sad to see this happening with bicycles too.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

igzackly

Xan
    Free Member

Hi my name is James. I live under a bridge, and like posting shite on random forums so I can give abuse to people that try and help me.

On a serious note, my first bike was a appollo similar to that. It weighed more than all my current bikes put together, started falling apart after a few run round glentress. I then binned it and bought a real bike. Moral is I paid £300 on a pos, and then had to very quickly buy something new once I realise what I did. Take the above advise and buy a good hybrid buy a decent set of “nobbly” tyres if you wish. If you want to do proper off road go for second hand or look for deals in the new year or maybe get interest free offer and pay it up. That won’t last a minute doing real off road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What do you think of this bike ?’ is closed to new replies.