Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What do you look for in a new bike
  • project
    Free Member

Fancy bendy frame,nice curves,

frame colour,

expensive wheels,

kerb/trail appeal,

brand name,

personnal/shop/magazine recomendation,

cost/discount,

equipment,

ton

just something i fancy trying.
    i may not work for me………….most of the time it dont.
    but i will keep on trying till i find something that does.

slim steel tubes always seem to draw me back to them tho.

crikey
    Free Member

I decide what I want it to do, then choose the best tool for the job that I can afford.

loddrik
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nice rear end, er……..small seat tube, er………big handle bars.

LMT
    Free Member

For me last time out it was the frame, i wanted a P7 just wanted to try a proper steel frame for a change.

Next bike its all about the travel and full bounce, looking for 120mm-130mm will prob settle for 125mm front and rear.

Nothing else im fussed about, as i change the kit as i wear it out.

noteeth
    Free Member

1 inch threaded headset.

In no particular order…

Reasonable weight

Looks good

Decent components

Climbs well

Descends better

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wot Ton said!

Actually scratch that . . . anything with a 21.5″ or less toptube that won’t clash horrendously with orange and I’m game 😉

jedi

it has to come with a history of strength and durablity. 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

maximum nicheness!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Serious answer, versatility. I want to be able to run ss rigid, pop forks and gears on then gear and rigid and a rack then …

lesinge
    Free Member

Improvement

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Price. That’s top of my list.

cookeaa

The key thing is that it sits on the roof of my Audi with a Nice big Logo or two making a clear statement to all the other middle management types that I am making plenty of money…

Oh and it absolutely must be this Seasons colour Dahling!

_tom_
    Free Member

Geometry and the ability to handle the kind of riding I’d be using it for, I guess. If it feels fun to ride then it’s alright. I don’t care about the latest bling. And curvy hydroformed frames mostly look shit imo.

BadlyWiredDog

Thing.

donsimon
    Free Member

Functionality, does it do what I want it to do?
    I shy away from main brands, so don’t expect to see me on a Specialized any day soon.

Northwind

Usually some of what my current bike has, but with less of the things I dislike, or more of the things I like.

I always end up talking about “playfulness”, that magic quantity that makes me try and do things I shouldn’t on a bike. My wee Carrera has it, my BFe didn’t. My Hemlock’s apparently machined from a single billet of come-and-have-a-go. Carbon 456 has it, steel 456 had absolutely none. I can’t find it on the speclists or geometry sheets so it’s a bugger to shop for. But that’s the most important thing for me…

_tom_
    Free Member

I always end up talking about “playfulness”, that magic quantity that makes me try and do things I shouldn’t on a bike.

That’s what I’m talking about when I say “feels fun to ride” I think. I agree the BFe doesn’t have it unless you’re going down something really steep, otherwise it feels like a bit of a barge imo. More so than my current Bullit DH build does actually which is surprising, but the Bullit is so much fun to ride and pop off everything 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Steel
    short travel fork
    26inch wheels
    3×9 gears
    no fancy niche stuff
    rack mounts
    no hydroformed weird tubing
    no carbon anywhere
    36 spoke wheels

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It’s all about the feel and fit of the frame for me, everything else can be changed.

yunki
    Free Member

I like a new bike to be discreet, tight and give an amazing sensation when in use.. with a realistic ‘real skin’ feel and a hygenic easy clean surface

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What do you look for in a new bike’ is closed to new replies.