Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What do orange 5 and airdrop edit frames weigh?
  • andymb
    Free Member

Just looking into different build options and wondering if anyone knows what the 2017 five weighs compared to the edit v2 ?
    I read somewhere that the edit had a bit of heft about it but then the fives aren’t known for being light either!
    Cotic rocket is on the list too, so if anyone has some figures that would be much appreciated

Thanks fellas

nickc

My Edit weighs about 13-14kgs maybe. Probs about the same(ish) as a five or the Aeris, there may be a couple 100g in it either way.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Think my edit v1 frame weighed around 7.5lbs (with headset & shock), full build is about 31.5lbs I think

andymb
    Free Member

so maybe quite close in lbs (but not in £ !)
    thanks for the replies…..couldn’t find any info on weights on the websites

russyh
    Free Member

I weighed my 2017 Orange Five frame when I pulled it out of the box then completely forgot the weight. It was surprisingly light if I remember about 300g lighter than my previous Five which was the last model. Full build is 28.something lbs, with 36’s, Mary and Dampf, renthal carbon bars, reverb, float Dps shock, SixC cranks, Full XT m8000, DT Swiss Xm1501 wheels oh and that’s with gamut podium flats fitted

nickc

I didn’t weight mine when it came out of it’s box. knowing roughly what an aluminium frame with an air shock weighs, I was unsurprised when a local rider (let’s call him Chipps) suggested it was a Calderdale-ish type of weight. He’s right, it is.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Best way to get the weight of the Edit is to drop Ed an email. When he says no BS, he really means it. Ask the question, you’ll get the answer. I’m not sure of the exact number, but I came away happy that the difference between the Edit and a similar travel carbon frame is about the weight of the shock.

Edit without shock = weight if carbon frame with shock.

I’ll probably stick a coil on it anyway.

andymb
    Free Member

just in case anybody else was wondering the same thing, i’ve had some emails back….

orange five (small) – with monarch shock – 2.76 kg

airdrop edit (small) – with maxle, no shock – Ed expects them to be approx 3.1kg (he doesn’t have one to weigh yet)

bird aeris 145 approx 3kg – no shock

wl
    Free Member

Borrowed a 2017 Five and did three big Pennine rides on it (20-30 miles). No idea what it weighed but f*ck me it was fast and fun. If I had to guess, I’d say it was somewhere around 29lb with 36s, flat pedals and proper tyres.

gelert
    Free Member

There’s some great info in this thread. Cheers for posting it.

I wish Orange would publish at least the frame weight on their website and put a from weight on one of standard builds. I’m sure it would sell more bikes for them. People I speak to out on the trails are quite shocked when they lift mine.

I know a full alloy Large Orange Four RS without pedals comes in at 12.5kg. The shop guy got the scales out because I couldn’t believe how light it felt.

My 2013 Five (26) is 12.2kg without pedals and 12.5kg with flats and carbon wheels.
    My 2014 Alpine (26) is 13.3kg without pedals and 13.6kg with flats and alloy wheels.

When I first got the Alpine RS new in November 2014 it was 14.3kg all in stock spec.
    The Five S was a standard spec full alloy build 2nd hand and when I got it was 13.6kg.

I’ve really enjoyed upgrading stuff as things wore out or I fancied a change and I’ve learned loads doing it. Without swapping all my Shimano bits over to SRAM uber light expensive stuff there’s not much more I can do while keeping reliability high. I’ve now got a few awesome parts I’d swap over to a new bike but I’m gunna wear out my brilliant super fun obsolete bikes some more first.

Can’t wait to demo the Orange 2017 models this year.

Marin
    Free Member

Five is light enough to put across your back and carry it for 3 hours up a mountain. A lot lighter than they look.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What do orange 5 and airdrop edit frames weigh?’ is closed to new replies.