Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What do I buy first
  • stoddys
    Free Member

So
    I can’t afford both right now, but I want to go 1×10

Do I buy the narrow wide ring or the clutch mech first?

What do your experiences tell me?

gogg
    Free Member

Wait until you can afford both, they’ll probably be cheaper by then.

mcnultycop

My HT is fine with just a clutch mech. No narrow wide and has never dropped the chain once.

bigrich

go clutchy first.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Clutch.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Gone 1×9 and went with NW front ring with my old shadow mech, not dropped chain yet!

scaredypants

clutch mech and keep your front mech on as a chain retainer ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

clutch, you will have a quieter chain and on a new chain ring may get away with no device for while. I did with just a few drops, but the narrow wide eradicated them utterly. It really is just the future.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have done the same as suggsey with the same result.

stoddys
    Free Member

4.5 to 2.5

Keep your opinions coming

onandon
    Free Member

No clutch mech and no NW chainring. No dropped chain in 2 years on my scalpel with XX

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

NW first. Or do as I did and get both second hand for half the price virtually new

stoddys
    Free Member

Howsyourdad
    That would be perfect.
    So who’s got an xt medium clutch mech and a 32t NW?

dooge
    Free Member

Save and get it all at once?

stoddys
    Free Member

Save. Hmm save? I’ve heard the word, in fact I’ve heard it a lot from the wife. Not quite sure I know what you mean.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Keep your eyes on the classifieds I got an xt mech for 30 and a trex for 35 posted. People split bikes a lot when they fancy the latest Santa Cruz 😀

bol

I’ve got a 32t narrow wide on one ringmaster that you can have for £15 plus postage/fees. Done about 30 miles, mainly road. My daughter is using a 34t now. No clutch mech yet and no drops – although she’s not especially gnarcore. I’m told that sram non-clutch mechs work better 1x than shimano. No idea if that’s true. Email me if you’re interested.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

NW first

RealMan
    Free Member

Just wondering (sorry for the slight hijack) – how many of you have had that tiny metal bit inside your clutch mech break (the bit that engages the clutch)? I’ve gone through two now, it just seems to fall to pieces from trail vibration as it’s so thin.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What do I buy first’ is closed to new replies.