Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What chain device ?
  • righog
    Free Member

Using a GXP bottom bracket with Sram chainset, with no spacers and no iscg mount, what are the options available for a chain device ?

Cheers

kayak23

Full top and bottom?
    You can get a bb adaptor that’ll fit most so will probably take anything virtually.
    The last frame I had with no tabs, I used a Blackspire dsx, I now use an MRP G2 but with iscg 05 tabs.
    The Blackspire guides are very good actually. The new DER guide looks to be good and I think comes in a bb mount.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Kayak

Actually it’s for a mate ( I have an iscg one an a bottom bracket one on different bikes)

when he asked me to recommend one I just said “Ah just take a spacer out of you BB”, but there isn’t any on his Sram chainset and BB, so was wondering if there were any options other than changing out the chainset as well ?

He is just an occasional rider ATM so does not want to spend too much.

adrian64
    Free Member

bionicon C guide goes on your chainstay

righog
    Free Member

Of course adrian, Why did I not think of that 😳

goodgrief
    Free Member

best option by far is a clutch mech and a thick/thin chainring

wiggles
    Free Member

Superstar do a seatube mounted one, but wouldn’t work with a front mech

gribble
    Free Member

I have the same issue (BB with no proper spacers to mount a guide).

I am on my second Bionicon C guide and I don’t rate them. First one fell apart riding the South Downs Way. Perhaps the slightly dusty field was too extreme for it?

Second one has just bent wide open, so the plastic chain guide fell out, riding (slowly) round QE2 park yesterday. Look on Strava and you can see how slow I really am.

Not too impressed. Great concept, but not sure about quality. I would like to see a bit more bodge tastic efforts – I think MBUK or some mag showed how you could cut a piece of hose and use that as a guide, attached upside down to the frame.

righog
    Free Member

I remembered seeing something very similar to the bionicon being made DIY something like this

DIY chain device

This was not the one I originally saw but very similar. I think I will be trying this bodge as a first attempt.

gribble
    Free Member

ridhog, would definitely give it a go. When my first c guide broke, Leisure Lakes offered me another one for half price, (said it was my fault basically), but would not support any warranty claim (or couldn’t be bothered for £30-£35 ish).

So £45 later I recon anything with some zip ties and a bit of flexibility will do as good a job and leave money for something useful. Plastic (used in zip ties and garden hose etc) will probably resist the vibration better (or at least stand up to my incompetent riding a bit better).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What chain device ?’ is closed to new replies.