Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What chain can I run – Alfine/SS
  • jim600
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve just built up a new bike with a raceface deus singlespeed crankset (34t) and an alfine 8 on the rear (18t alfine sprocket)

What is the strongest chain I can run with this setup. We are taking the bike down to morocco for a couple of weeks so could do with a chain thats going to be as strong/reliable as possible.

Any recommendations – is a 9spd chain the best bet or can I run a thicker 1/8 ss chain. – either way, is there a specific brand/make of chain suitable for offroad touring that anyone would recommend?

Thanks
    Jim

jim_bob

Mine came with an 8 speed I think. Still running fine 3000 (road) km later.

A 7 or 8 speed chain will be marginally heavier duty, dunno how much real-world difference it’ll make.

Unless your chainline is super-straight, I reckon a 1/8 chain might rub on the guards next to the sprocket…

CaptainSlow

I’m running an old nine speed chain that had stretched from my other bike. Iirc an Alfine will happily take 8 or 9 speed.

spooky_b329

Apparently its designed to work with 9spd.

Saccades
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56339

i’ve used the whipperman equiv of this for 5 years on 2 alfine bikes. a mtb and a commuter cx bike.

rock solid.

edit to say no rubbing anywhere, one bike is ebb the other a pomp with alfine crank, there is a little lateral play in SS chains which is why they are so much stronger than 8/9 speed chains

Martin.B
    Free Member

I’m running a SS KMC chain that I got from Charlie
    No probs so far when run on Alfine or SS
    Hassle free

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What chain can I run – Alfine/SS’ is closed to new replies.