Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • What car for £4k and what to look out for
  • alanl6538
    Free Member

estate yes. Giving it away at 3300!

We paid more than we should have from Arnold Clark last year (£7k+), great condition and history so keen not to give it away and it’s hard to find a petrol replacement than is anywhere near as nice for under £10k (wife’s commute has recently shortened to a 10 minute drive).

Mazdas on eBay / gumtree / autotrader seem to vary a lot. Can see the same car up from £4K to £8k. Even if you don’t buy mine, I’d recommend it as above… overlooked by many, reliable, fast, spacious etc.

sandwicheater

Alan, if it is £3300 i’d be very interested but i think that’s a typo.

Inbred456
    Free Member

If you are looking at a Mazda diesel check the oil level if it’s high walk away. I.E Well over max it’s likely to have diesel in the engine oil.

Jamie
    Free Member

2200 more than I sold mine for, 6 months younger and 45k less. That isn’t worth an extra 2200 in my book. Mine was priced and sold by a mate who sells quite a few more cars than the folk on here. But hey carry on, as you were.

You sold yours too cheaply. Your mate probably added a bit on for himself when he sold it on. 8)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Seen 2 Mazda 6 estates

59 reg, with 110k, £3k some history, towbar fitted in 2014

61 reg, with 83k, £5k not a lot of history

Look ok, basic spec,

There is a 61 reg takuya spec 99k factory towbar on for £5.3k somewhere else

Alan if you are in the NW and able to get in the race I’ll be keen to chat

muzz
    Free Member

Dpfs give major problems on newer Mazdas

wrightyson
    Free Member

I.E Well over max it’s likely to have diesel in the engine

Well not strictly true. The dipstick actually has a l for low and a h for high just like most cars, but this one has an x also, this sits above the h which is also an indicator of when to change the oil. It’s how the engine works and is part of the dpf regen cycle. Never had an issue and changed oil every year.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

After googling Mazda 6 for issues I have depressed myself

Anything else to put on the list?

sas78

Bought a 2007 Subaru Legacy REN Estate couple years ago for 4500. Love it. Had partial history but it is immaculate and runs great and low mileage.

Yes it’s quite thirsty but not that bad considering its a massive lump of an AWD estate with a petrol boxer engine.

Lovely to drive on twisty roads, comfy cruiser and makes “progress” ok!

It won’t be leaving my mitts until it’s deid!

finephilly
    Free Member

honda accord if you can get a nice 2.2 cdti on that budget, or an Alan partridge Lexus is200/220 but no estate option on those. Usual 3 series or c-class. maybe a Volvo?

takisawa2

There’s lots of DPF equipped diesel cars out there have never broken down, likewise ones with DMF’s,

MrOvershoot

big_n_daft – Member

After googling Mazda 6 for issues I have depressed myself

Anything else to put on the list?

As you originally said 20k mostly motorway I can’t see it being a problem, if you were tootling round town yes but not for motorway work.

I had a 56 plate Mazda 6 TD estate for 9 years apart from Tyres, 2 headlight bulbs, 1 battery & a track-rod end it was just routine servicing.
    I would probably still be driving it but I needed something higher for lifting the wife in and out of.

Oh and 70% of my driving was/is urban

mickyg
    Free Member

Alanl6538 I’ve PM’d you 🙂 thanks 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

DMF or DPF (as others seem to be assuming)? I know nothing about the latter, but presume my 08 Mondeo doesn’t have one – I paid £4k for that almost 5 years ago when it was 4.5 years old. It had 120k on the clock hence the pricing when others of a similar age were several thousands more – in general I’d recommend people with a similar budget go for a similar relatively new but high mileage model, though it may not be ideal for you given your high mileage (though given how modern cars cope with miles that may not be an issue even so). As for the DMF I bought assuming I’d have the bill for that coming up and budgeted for it – sure enough about a year later it needed doing, but even so the car was still a bargain (and it’s just as likely to be an issue with a much lower mileage, and probably also for lots of other models).

Inbred456
    Free Member

If your Mondeo is a mk 4 and not a 1.8 it will have a DPF. Most cars have a dual mass flywheel these days. It’s the high torque from the diesels that wears them out. Petrols last much longer.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Regarding DPF’s you can get them cleaned by the Ceramex process costs about £300. This is the only one that has had any success so I’m told. Other methods are just snake oil.

rmacattack
    Free Member

toyota avensis

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a Mk4 1.8, so presumably not then. Does mean it has a cambelt (rather than chain) though, swings and roundabouts.

Inbred456
    Free Member

DPF Info
    A handy guide with a good bit of info on DPF’s.
    The 1.8 TDCi has a cam belt. It’s quite an old design and was used on the mk1 and 2 Focus as well. It’s quite an easy belt to change I did one on my dads focus. He has the 115bhp mk1 focus 2004 estate. It’s been the best car he’s ever had.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What car for £4k and what to look out for’ is closed to new replies.