Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What camper van for 10k?
  • glenh
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a camper van for the family (so needs to sleep 4 preferably), carry bikes etc.
    What’s good on the 2nd hand market? Converted vw transporters seem pretty popular…

peterfile
    Free Member

Sort of cheating though isn’t it?

llama

cheating how?

peterfile
    Free Member

It was funnier in my head…

oldskooler
    Free Member

As a converted Transporter owner, I would stay away from them if you want value for money. To sleep 4 and carry bikes you’ll be looking at least a long wheel base medium size Van or a short wheel base with a pop top. I would look at converted vivaro’s for value for money. £10k on transporter will only get you a decent T4 model, not a T5.

Cheapest option is to buy a panel van and convert it yourself, that way you may get a decent age/condition T5, Converting yourselfcan cost between £1500 and £5000. Depending on whether you want full 12v and 240v, fridge, cooker, water, pop top , rock and roll bed etc. Have a look on http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk for some inspiration.

tomaso
    Free Member

Sprinters and Boxers seem best for the amount of accommodation you want.

There are plenty of companies that will do a bespoke conversion to a standard van.

Have a look at some in real life to get a feel for how you would want it set up as there is no one size fits all standard answer.

althepal

Jumbo hightop transit crew van and convert yourself.. look for a good used one on ebay for around £5-6k. It should come with diesel heater, ac inverter and a wee hot water dispenser and possibly a microwave!

tomd
    Free Member

10K will get you a pretty scabby VW T4 campervan second hand (10+ years old).

I would get a panel van and get it converted to suit your needs (there area loads of companies offering this service). You could get a respectable van for £5k and spend the rest on a conversion. Then it would be as you want it but without mouldy furnishings. You won’t be able to get an all singing all dancing conversion for your budget but you can adjust to suit. If you want it to sleep 4 you’ll need a pop top which are pricey to buy / fit.

Also, you’ll then have a modern van underneath which should be easier to maintain, better to drive, more efficient etc.

glenh
    Free Member

Thanks for you opinions guys – sounds like getting my own conversion is the way to go then.

pictonroad

T4 Karmann Colorado. Dogs Danglies, get one for £10k ish. Central heating, hot shower, fully crash tested, zero depreciation dry room for surf kit if you wanted. Built in bike rack, economical, powerful, sturdy.

Different layouts available

4 people in a standard size van WILL be hell, I promise you, I’ve had 4 different campers and spent loads of time around them, you simply cannot have enough space.

pictonroad

and you’ll struggle to buy a decent van and convert it for £10k tbh. It ‘can’ be done but I wouldn’t fancy it. Far far better value from a professional conversion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What camper van for 10k?’ is closed to new replies.