Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What bike for TDR?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Two questions:

1) What’s your perfect bike for this?

2) How can get a suitable bike for as little money as possible?

I’m definitely going with gears, so I’m thinking I’d buy myself a steel 29er frame and move as much as I can from one of my other bikes. I have not yet decided how I’m going to carry my stuff, so I’d get something with rack mounts just in case.

I also might like drop handlebars so cable operated discs could be a requirement. Might be a good idea anyway to be honest, less chance of a brake/tyre interface.

scotroutes

I thought you were more of a sprinter than an endurance athlete?

Here’s one option..

http://salsacycles.com/culture/kurt_refsniders_2011_tour_divide_setup

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but I still want to do the TDR 🙂

scotroutes

Here are some other ideas.

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/StevePuerzer/library/TD%202013%20bikes?sort=2&page=1

Most are rigid 29ers with some sort of TT bar. Some using IGH, a few dynamo front hubs there too.

Aidan
    Free Member

Sounds like you want a Singular Gryphon. Great ride, not too expensive. The old ones didn’t have rack mounts, but the new ones do.

Dropped-bar mtb is going to be much better than something CX-ish. The mtb will have more comfort and durability.

rexated
    Free Member

1) Pivot Les ‘for the win’ it would seem this year (hope I’m not tempting fate!)
    2) Ride round the world really quickly and get said Pivot free from your sponsor. 😀

Seriously, I reckon drops or some kind of tri-bar set up would be good…I can’t imagine doing 100mile days into a headwind otherwise. Or a Jones bar, something with lots or hand positions where you can get a bit aero.

I’d like to agree with a steel frame, but I’d go as light as I could for the frame, because I’d want to take bombproof wheels.

(Nb all comments above stated from position of complete ignorance….)

qwerty
    Free Member

BMW or KTM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What bike for TDR?’ is closed to new replies.