Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What bike for my new commute?
  • thepurist

Just been out to recce it on my (26″) hardtail shod with Mud Xs & think I need something a bit more suitable. And n+1 of course 😉

It’s about 18.5 miles each way, but only ~550 feet of climbing (1/3 of that in the last quarter mile going in). For about 5 or 6 miles of it I’ve got options of quiet riverside paths or fairly quiet roads(*), but there’s about a mile and a bit of gravel/mud/sand fireroad that’s a PITA to detour round. The paths probably add 10 minutes or so – lots of gates for pedestrians…

I’ll probably only ride it once a week as I’ve got a few other things going on in the evenings that I want to be fresh for etc. etc.

So I’m thinking an out & out road bike would be the wrong choice, and all the tempting looking cross bikes (Canyon, CAADX 105) seem to be sold out at the mo.

What else might be worth a look & still available? Giant/Spesh? Budget is c.1300 max. Needs to take guards but I can probably do without carrying much luggage for now.

(*) well they were fairly quiet for a Monday daytime, not sure if they’re rat run hell in the mornings.

Superficial
    Free Member

Giant TCX SLR 2 looks like a decent ride. Well, the frame looks nicely made and the components are pretty decent for the money. I haven’t ridden one, mind.

Does the bit of fire road really necessitate a cross bike though? Most road bikes will take a bit of untarmac’d surface without bother, especially those with good tyre clearance. As long as it’s not something too posh, I’d be happy using a road bike on fire roads. Something like a Kaffenback or Cotic Road Rat?

thepurist

Should’ve said I’m totally new to the whole road/cross biking world so might be talking bolleaux, which it seems may be the case…

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have the tcx SLR 2 and it is.ace but I.had to use some zip ties for the rear guard. The Boardman cx bikes are bloody.good.too.

MoreCashThanDash

Pinnacle Arkrose 2. See threads on here or the road.cc review

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What bike for my new commute?’ is closed to new replies.