Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What bike for a big tall guy? dont like riding gates…
  • woodbutcher
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Im pretty tall guy, about 6ft4 and 100+kg. Ive got an XL but it feels big and long around corners and through tight stuff. as a mate said, like riding a gate.
    looking to go down a size to have more fun on the downhill technical stuff. ideally a “hardcore hardtail” in steel. cotic BFE, stanton slackline that sort of thing. think they only do large’s and seem quite small.
    anyone been in a similar position? got any advice? think i need a slightly larger than large, large. what brands are good on that kinda size?
    infact anyone got one for sale for under a grand?

cheers

ton

same height but heavier.
    cotic solaris max.

big_scot_nanny

Aye, big lad here too, not got on well with L sized bikes in the past myself, but you’ll only know by riding one. Get a shot on someone’s close to you.

It is getting easier these days as bikes get longer, but that still leaves the issue of most having stupidly short head tubes which don’t play well when you still need a mahoosive saddle height for pedaling.

I seem to be enjoying most right now a Surly Ice Cream Truck XXL with 29+ wheels, but it ain’t perfect by far. Hence considering going custom.

joebristol

Bird cycles hardtails might be pretty long but allow you not to have a huge seat tube / high top tube. Go for one with a big fork to keep tge front high enough?

Bigmantrials

Very similar proportions to you, I love my Production Privee Shan GT, XL 29er, doesn’t feel or look massive.

I am midlands based, and would be happy for you to give my bike a go if you wanted.

chiefgrooveguru

I wouldn’t go down “a size” but a modern L may be longer than your current XL. I like fairly long bikes but I hate the top tube being in the way when cornering – if there isn’t a mile of post sticking out when the saddle is up (and often a seat tube tower) then it bugs me.

The new BFe and Bird Zeros are pretty long. Most hardtails are still on the shorter side though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a big tall guy? dont like riding gates…’ is closed to new replies.