Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What are the modern day equivalent of the old bombers.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What is the equivalent to the old bombers.? The fox’s on my daughters bike have had their day so its time to replace them. The old bombers seemed to go forever and are stiIll doing the rounds on my girlfriends bike. IIRC they were peanuts to buy and haven’t cost me a penny to run. Does such a fork still exist.?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I suggest you get hold of an old pair of Bombers.

🙂

jam-bo

I have a set of 2005 team pikes that are still going strong.

ton

sektors are very robust.

maxray
    Free Member

coil revelations?

legend
    Free Member

They would have to be an open bath design (so modern rs and fox are out) to stand a chance. I’d recommend old Bombers

khani
    Free Member

Allegedly..new bombers are as good as old bombers again…

wl
    Free Member

Some of the new Bombers are supposed to be very reliable.

lucien

OP – do you need to own someone? 😯

andrewh
    Free Member

Just get some old bombers.
    I got a set of Junior Ts about a year ago, 2003 model, and they are excellent.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yes, new bombers are the new old bomberes, but avoid the slightly old bombers, they are the new elastomer sprung grease lubed Manitous.

jedi

marz forks are back to top of the pile imho

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The new Bombers are ace. 2010 onwards.
    I’ve had the 44RC3ti on the Five for two years now and they have been faultless. So good that I’ve bought some 66RC3ti and am just waiting for a Patriot or SX trail to hang them on.
    Yes, I’m building a bike around the fork (they’re that good)

jameso

Also 2010-11 Reba and Revelations, U-turn or non-adjust. Loved my old Z1s and the recent RS forks have been equally solid. Dunno about the new ones, not used any but friends have had issues with dual position. K.i.s…

johnners
    Free Member

IIRC they were peanuts to buy

I suppose it depends on what particular model you mean, but the 2004 Z1 Freeride sold for around the £500 mark, not peanuts now and certainly wasn’t peanuts in 2004.

Great forks though.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

OP – do you need to own someone?

😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

either old bombers, or 2010-onwards bombers. A lot of the new ones have been available reduced as old stock, so some 2010 stuff were half price in 2011, and some 2011 stuff half price earlier this year.

Might not happen again as people are cottoning onto the fact they are back to their best. I have 2010 55RC3Tis and they are sublime. We also have 2004 Bombers on a winter ‘hack’ and some ’99 Z3s I sold to a mate are still going strong with only regular oil changes.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I can think of no reason, yet, to change my 2004 Bomber MX Pros. They just work, and keep working.

bikeind
    Free Member

the new ones are super!
    try them out.

ps44
    Free Member

Still running my 2004 bombers. I guess they could do with a service but still going strong.

james
    Free Member

“so modern rs and fox are out”
    Some OE Fox have open bath. Still doesn’t stop oe F120’s from wearing the stantion out. And when it does its not just the lowers oil thats weeping out, its your damping too

Newer RS I’d say will be worse than pre 2010ish, with the ‘powerbuldge’, when the lower bushes go, the manual says to replace the lowers ..

I’ve some ’04 ((I think) MX Pro ETA’s with some noticable bushing slop, stantions perfect.
    RS I’ve had have stantion wear before I can notice any bushing wear. (I’ve got mor eon top of RS servcing since)

Winstanleys have a few unused?/new oldie ‘zocchis:
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/index.html

lucien

Neilsonwheels – thank you, thought I was going a bit mad for a bit with all this serious talk about forks

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What are the modern day equivalent of the old bombers.?’ is closed to new replies.