Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What 100mm 29er fork..?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For my as yet un-bought Salsa El Mariachi or Surly Karate Monkey Ops.

Impressed with my RS Revs so would be a good place to put my brand loyalty I think..?

weeksy

whatever you can get for £150 used is the correct answer.

Bregante

Manitou Towers are very good. There was a set in the classifieds yesterday for not much iirc

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I tried SID XX’s on my El Mar and was very very impressed.

LoCo
    Free Member

Rev RCT3 solo air, have some on my 29er at 110mm they are great, have some in stock silly cheap too 😉

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Sid RCT3 Great forks!
    Nice and light if that helps!
    Thanx,
    Max

offthebrakes
    Free Member

DT Swiss XMM 100 – vastly better than the Fox 32 FIT CTD that came specced on my race bike. Stiffer, far less prone to diving.

jonnyrockymountain
    molgrips
    Free Member

Shit the bed those DTs are cheap…. argh.. have no actual funds currently..

offthebrakes
    Free Member

They certainly are – I paid well over that for mine 2nd hand. 15mm Twinshot I can thoroughly recommend.

strike
    Free Member

What you save on those DT forks you’ll then spend out on the postage back to have them repaired numerous times. Twin Shot is a flawed design which is why DT have junked it for 2015 and gone with a brand new design of damper.

I went back to Fox and don’t regret it.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

This

Sid RCT3 Great forks!
    Nice and light if that helps!

And this

What you save on those DT forks you’ll then spend out on the postage back to have them repaired numerous times. Twin Shot is a flawed design which is why DT have junked it for 2015 and gone with a brand new design of damper.

I have 2 knackered pairs sitting here you can have if you like 😉

chestrockwell

I really liked the DT’s I had a few years back. Mate of mine has them now and they’re still going strong. They were XMM Twin Shots.

Didn’t like the Revs I had before the DT’s but have recently tried another mates current 29″ Revs and they have improved a lot.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Marzocchi for the 3 year warrenty and buttery smoothness.

Having said that I may sell mine as I’ve gone back to rigid.

jamcorse

Reba or SID. both plush, reliable and v easy to service. RL is usually enough for me so pretty cheap to boot.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are SIDs now nice and stiff? What’s the difference between them and Revs nowadays apart from 300g?

djflexure

Manitou towers here have been a success.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I liked towers but hated their version of the male- fiddly beyond belief!

Bregante

The hex Maxle? It is definitely an acquired taste. Had a nightmare trying to put my front wheel on the other week before a night ride!

Best just not to touch it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

another SID RCT3 user here – seem great to me

TimCotic
    Free Member

Had a Fox F29 100mm, 15mm axle on my Ti Mariachi. I took it off to put on my Spearfish and I’ve got a Cromoto rigid fork on the El-Mar now. The Fox was doing a good job and it was pronounce ‘fine’ at a recent service. In the past I’ve had seal and robustness issues with 26″ Fox forks so I’m slightly wary of them. Probably if you clean them and spray with Silicon lube (Stendec or Fenwicks) then they’ll last.
    Ps. The guys at my local shock servicing shop say you can’t get the DT Swiss service locally as DT Swiss refuse to supply parts as they want to do all the servicing themselves.

chestrockwell

TF Tuned will sort DT forks.

strike
    Free Member

TFT may well sort your DT forks….but just call them and ask their opinion of Twin Shot – if you get a diplomatic technician you’ll get a ‘hmmmmmmmmmm’, if you get an honest one you’ll get ‘AVOID’!!!!

The problem with Twin Shot is the design of the damper – the damper works the same as a rear shock in that an IFP is used, but more often than not air (which is used in the IFP chamber) leaks via the damper control pins/dials, most commonly when you turn the rebound dial. So you are left with a fork with all the damping screwed up – now imagine you are out on the trail, make an adjustment and you lose air/damping!

I’m sure there are many DT Twin Shot forks out there without issue, but having gone through 7 cartidges (yes – SEVEN!) I would avoid them like the plague. And it seems I’m not alone. Add to the above you can not work on TwinShot (or SingleShot) dampers yourself.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pu4LyS]Salsa with suspension[/url] by philsherwin, on Flickr

Just like someone forcing a wallet full of baby photos in your face, here is my El Mar with SIDs.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d see howe much Loco wants for the Revs before risking those DT forks. They ain’t THAT cheap!

My RCT3s (older dual air version) are damn good.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does the rigid fork option change the geometry much on that bike vs the sussers?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

molgrips – I generally ride it rigid, didn’t notice any geometry weirdness but the rigids are probably the same A-C length as the 100mm SIDs.

starrman82
    Free Member

+ 2 for Manitou Towers, i bought some from CRC, really pleased with them especially for the money. I’d say they were better than the SiD’s i had previously.

nikk
    Free Member

I have done thousands of miles on them, not had any problems.

I am not doubting your experience, but FWICG any system can have issues. I had horrible problems with a Cannondale fork loosing air. From your story, I’d wonder if the cartridge was attempted to be repaired rather than replaced?

jonnyrockymountain

Same here dt forks not an issue both twin and single shots, to me they are better built (quality) and feel a lot better ride wise (plush) than fox or rockshox that I have had, massive personal preference as they all are generally as good as each other, the only ones that are over rated are fox and that is mainly because of the massive price tag

strike
    Free Member

Each time I had a new whole new TS catridge! I did ask TFT if they were repairing or replacing and they said replacing due to how complex the cartridges are and how they’d had even worse results trying to rebuild them….. It is a pity as I agree the DT forks are very high quality. To me it’s no surprise that DT have ditched TwinShot for 2015 and gone for a new ‘ODL’ damper (just like CTD) which doesn’t use air/pressure in the damper.

In contrast I’ve had NO issues from my Fox forks in 12months. All the service docs are online as well to do every job, plus all spares can be bought and special tools – DT only publish basic service documents and when spares are available, you have to buy whole assemblys IME.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What 100mm 29er fork..?’ is closed to new replies.