Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • West Highland Way in (just under) a day
  • AlasdairMc

I’d been considering the West Highland Way in a day for a few years, and last Thursday I had my chance. A combination of sleep deprivation and seriously fading motivation meant I did it in just under 23 hours, but at least I know I can do it.

Write-up is on my LeJog training blog – here

I know my time isn’t going to dent the record books, and yes it’s the single and not the double, but I’m chuffed. I didn’t do it for any charity, but if you’re feeling generous I was inspired by eat_more_cheese and his account here

druidh
    Free Member

Yay!

Very well done young sir. You might not have been the quickest but you definitely have one of the more interesting write-ups 🙂

AlasdairMc

Cheers Druidh. All those hours on my own in the saddle gave me enough time to think it up…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Well done Alasdair! I’ve been thinking of doing it myself recently.

AlasdairMc

Do it Paul – all the hype about Loch Lomond is just hype and as you climb you’ll breeze it.

Naranjada
    Free Member

That’s an entertaining write-up Alisdair, well done you for the perseverance.

I had a genuine LOL at the article’s footer of ‘Note to the West End hotel – Nescafé in a pot is not a pot of coffee’.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Wow, just finished reading the blog, good effort mate! Reading made me question whether i’d have the determination and motivation to carry on when i’m exhausted…will just have to try it and see 🙂

I’d always heard that the Loch lomond side was a carry/push for a few miles but you seemed to manage it fine so maybe it’s not that bad after all. Hopefully doing a recce this year at some point over 2 or 3 days.

ojom
    Free Member

PG – i reckon i would too if you fancy a go sometime.

p.s. think we need to get back to that restaurant sometime soon also!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Will keep you in mind TBC. was meant to be doing it with Laura (injury permitting) but quite fancy doing it with the boys too.

druidh
    Free Member

PaulG/TBC – one day or two?

(and are you planning to stick to the route all the way?? 😉 )

Garry_Lager

Congrats, and great write-up too. Sounded very hard – the fact you can bail on a train must add a bit of pressure if you’re feeling at a low ebb, so well done for hanging in there.

Power-napping in a field in the middle of the night is a handy skill.

ojom
    Free Member

I reckon we should do 2 and make sure we enjoy hostelries and help the local economies *cough*

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

druidh, my plan was to do a recce in 2/3 and then if I felt the urge try it in a oner.

proper route obviously!

bryan-g-

My mate did it a couple of years ago in 11 hours 25 I think was his time. ,the Fort to Glasgow. I think if I was doing it I would do it in 2 days as its a good excuse for a night away and would probably see more.

AlasdairMc

Paul – at least doing it with others means they can shout at you to keep going. In my case I just had to rely on the voices in my head…

millcar
    Free Member

Winter climbing in FW 2 years ago speaking to a team who had done the WHW in both directions in a day in winter running it and were going for a third. Well impressive.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way in (just under) a day’ is closed to new replies.