Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • West Highland Way in 24hours (with pics)
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

The WHW is something I’ve been wanting to do for years, so when I heard a colleague of mines grandaughter had been diagnosed with Neuroblastoma (childhood cancer)I thought it would be a great way of raising some cash for her appeal.
    Plans had been in the pipeline for some time, and with some advice from the STW community all was sorted for sunday night midnight for the big off.
    Most of the WHW I’ve ridden before, so the run up to Drymen from Mugdock was a nice way to warm up and get some easy miles under the belt. Only the dark churned up roads that the forestry workers left proved hard going, and then the climb up Conic Hill with a greasy descent down to the Doggers’ car park at Balmaha proved more difficult than in daylight hours!

By 4a.m Ben Lomond car park had been and gone, and the next section up to Beinglas Farm was a complete unknown. To be fair I’d underestimated its difficulty. The Craigrostan woods section was the first obstacle, but with plenty of lumens to light the way it just felt like a night ride at Drumlannrig! By 5.30 a.m with the woods done I felt a slight sense of relief as first light was approaching and Inversnaid hotel appeared out of the gloom

The next section was arduous to say the least. The rocky, rooty track seemed endless and the end of the loch seemed further away every minute. Fortunately, by 7a.m the worst of it was out of the way and I could actually get back in the saddle

The descent to Beinglas was fun, if not a bit slippy, but after a while the track gets more rideable and the average speed creeps up. Past Crianlarich the sun even came out!

I felt like I was craking on at a good pace, only a couple of stops for the ultimate energy food… Papa Johns double spicy pizza!

[

An unexpected climb out of the Bridge of Orchy lead to as superfast loose descent down into Victoria Bridge where I was lucky that on a march monday morning there wasn’t a walker in sight! Weather was perfect for the long climb up to Glencoe, even the tops of some of the Monroes even started to make a brief appearance. The sight of the Kingshouse hotel was something to behold, where several coffees, cokes and cold pizza later I was back on way. Even the local wildlife wanted in on the pizza…

Devils Staircase loomed and there was no way of even riding the ‘rideable’ bits. It felt like a long hard push, but at least got to stop and take in the surroundings

With Kinlochleven fast approaching there was an end in sight, but not before the awesome descent of the Devils Staircase. Half way down everything was hurting and I just about had enough pull in fingers to get the brakes to stop me.

I must admit the climb out of Kinlochleven I was not looking forward to. Having ridden the Nevis Loop previously I knew how hard going the track would be. After the gruelling climb/push out the sheer remoteness of this section of the WHW really hits home. Surrounded by the vast mountains you get a great sense of wilderness. It only reinforces itself by the weather turning in a matter of minutes and halfway from K’leven to Fort william the weather turned and I got a mammoth shower! It did however clean the bike. Not much stopping at all for food etc, all I wanted was the warmth of the B&B, the long awaited forest road eventually appaeared and within minutes I was hooning down to Glen Nevis at breakneck speed in the fast diminishing daylight.

I’d made it and in a fairly good time, in all just under 18 and a half hours. Well chuffed with myself I set off to the B&B only to find it right at the top of a bloody hill! But I’ve raised nearly £1000, and got a huge sense of achievement 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

Superb!

Do you have a JustGiving page?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well done looks like you got good weather !!! Nice one

blades2000
    Free Member

Well done, nice write up also.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member
    wilde86
    Free Member

Well done, thats a great achievement for a great cause!

Well done.

druidh
    Free Member

eat_more_cheese – Member
    Vanessa riddle appeal

Does it make any difference which member of the team I click on?

mrplow
    Free Member

Gave some cash to Vanessa’s dad at Morrisons on Sunday while they worked the packing for people to raise funds. Very nice to talk to and wish them complete success. Well done on your WHW run :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

vdubber67
    Free Member

I have to confess I mis-read the title, and excitedly clicked on the thread expecting to see you’d done the DOUBLE in 24hrs! Having said that, I reckon doing it one way is still an amazing achievement, so bravo sir!!!

grtdkad

Stunning ride. Well done mate

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

druidh, correct link for the appeal, thanks!!!

Neuroblastoma alliance

Sanny
    Free Member

Good days! Well done fella!

flyingmm

Fantastic effort. Send your colleague’s grandaughter the very best wishes from the stw community

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

vdubber67….double in 24 hours? That would be some challenge! I could only imagine that would be possible fully supported, and by taking the ferry across Loch Lomond. I think the double currently stands at 30something hours, stupid fast 😯

supafly1982
    Free Member

a pal just gave me this link, well done to you fella! i would not have the fitness to di it non stop, we will be doing it in May for charity, over 3 days though, 40 the first, 47 the second day and the third day nice and easy, some of thelads are going to do ben nevis. I will probably be nursing my sit bones lol

Whats your oppinion on doing it on a long travel HT?

well done once again 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way in 24hours (with pics)’ is closed to new replies.