Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Welshpool … Opinions of please
  • brack
    Free Member

I’ve just been offered a job in the region of Welshpool. Opinions of the place ?

Currently live on the south coast so a relocation would certainly see the end of surfing for a while..

But any plus points ?

kayak23

The Tesco is quite good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It use to have a milk bar. I think it’s closed down now.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Inbetween the Shropshire hills and Snowdonia park, what”s not to like 🙂 I’ve been there when travelling to Wales and I thought it looked ok.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Its the arse end of nowhere mate

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Deadpool.

Some stunning countryside further West or South, though Welshpool itself is isolated and somewhat depressed like most isolated small towns in Wales.

mrhoppy

Welshpool itself isn’t that exciting a place but it’s surrounded by good riding both off and on road. It’s easy striking distance to N and mid Wales.

You aren’t that far from Shrewsbury which is a more engaging place to live (relatively).

mt
    Free Member

It’s good little town with everything and access to loads of good rides. House prices not to bad. It also feels away from the main rat race but still accessible enough if you need to to a city. Beautiful and under rated area of the country.

Hope you do well

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit – plus points

– It is a good spot to get away from it all, lots of rural properties. Initially we looked nearby in Clun/Bishops Castle area as love the South Shropshire Hills and lots of arts events.

– Powys is huge and often very beautiful, my folks live there and always look forward to visiting.

Speshpaul

Pretty town, but there isn’t much going on.
    Thats great if you don’t won’t clubs and the like. Theres not alot of work locally so some bits can be a bit down (Newtown)
    Riding -lots, walking climbing hills- lots. Surf about an hour- hour and a half away.
    Its on the main route to the mid Wales coast, so traffic will drive you nuts in the summer.
    House prices are ok based on local trends, a lot of people live there and work Shrewsbury-Telford.
    If you want choices move to Shrewsbury, night life, schools, jobs for parenter etc. if you want a rural life style and your kids to learn welsh ( Welsh education and health care has some benefits) then welshpool.
    I’m in Minsterley, so some where in between

rocketman
    Free Member

Pass that way frequently it’s a typical Welsh border town unpretentious and unassuming it is what it is

martinhutch

I think you need to get over there yourself for a few days to see if that kind of border town is right for you, TBH.

I think you’d still be able to have a day out surfing at Aberystwyth or nearby.

Nice countryside though, and handy for places like Long Mynd.

Speshpaul

“offered a job in the region of Welshpool”
    where abouts,

Edit, my kids still laugh about the day we drove past and some “wag” had removed the final L from the road sign.
    (adults may also have been laughing.)

Simon-E

+1 to what mt said, but I like open space, hills and green fields, not big towns. It’s not a dead-end but there is more happening in Shrewsbury, 20 minutes away.

As already said, you’re not far from great riding territory – proper countryside like the Mynd & Stiperstones, trails like NYA and Llandegla, Hopton & Bringewood. The surf in Aber/Borth is likely to be disappointing.

If you do road riding as well then this area is great.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Welshpool … Opinions of please’ is closed to new replies.