Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Welcome to 'mountain' biking in The Fens.
  • colournoise

What you can’t see in the photo are the huge invisible hills that incessantly blow across this landscape.

And then on trails that are pretty much devoid of rock, this happens.

Not all bad though.

slainte ➡ rob

fenlanddavid
    Free Member

we have some good singletrack if you know where to look though 😉

nammynake
    Free Member

Nice pics.

Those large rotors must come in handy….

colournoise

fenlanddavid – Member
    we have some good singletrack if you know where to look though

Was just a roll around the Green Wheel today, but I know a few more interesting spots yeah. If you have any gems in or around Peterborough I’m all ears.

slainte 😀 rob

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice pics, biking looks totally gash though 🙂

colournoise

nammynake – Member
    Nice pics.
    Those large rotors must come in handy….

Heehee. The bike’s not light and neither am I…

The ‘large’ (only 180s) rotors do come in handy when I get the bike away to hillier locales a few times a year.

slainte 😆 rob

bigbloke
    Free Member

I love the big skies over that way. Nice pics.

fenlanddavid
    Free Member

Love the green wheel, has a lovely section near Alwalton one of my fav bits. Specially tricky this time of year with slippery roots….

colournoise

fenlanddavid – Member
    Love the green wheel, has a lovely section near Alwalton one of my fav bits. Specially tricky this time of year with slippery roots….

That’s a great little bit of cheeky trail. Always think that if it was part of a ‘name’ trail centre somewhere people would rate it as a favourite woodland singletrack section.

slainte 😀 rob

sortmaster
    Free Member

Is that the trail through the trees behind the Marriott? Can you give me a clue where it is if not?

Cheers

scud
    Free Member

As someone who is currently lucky enough to have some good riding just outside my back door, but is about to move to Norfolk, can anyone recommend any riding that way other than Thetford.

I am guessing that there must be other trails at Thetford other than the marked ones due to the number of events there?

Jamie
    Free Member

aaaaand that’s why I bought a road bike.

colournoise

sortmaster – Member
    Is that the trail through the trees behind the Marriott? Can you give me a clue where it is if not?
    Cheers

That’s the one yeah, runs along the river between Alwalton and Ferry Meadows.

In that part of town there’s also another sweet section that runs round the back of Nene Park Academy (Orton Longueville School as was) – not the main path through the woods – watch out for a proper singletrack hugging the school fence.

There are a few much shorter but nice bits of trail in the ‘top’ end of Ferry Meadows (the woods between Milton Ferry and Thorpe Wood). The steps and boardwalk section there is also fun (if you ignore the signage or just start riding from the end of the section that doesn’t have any instructional signs about two-wheeled vehicles!).

slainte 😀 rob

colournoise

scud – Member
    I am guessing that there must be other trails at Thetford other than the marked ones due to the number of events there?

LOADS of ‘off-piste’ trails in and around Thetford. Best bet is to check out the TIMBER website (TIMBER linky) and ask to join one of the group rides – the regulars know all the best bits of trail.

slainte 😀 rob

scud
    Free Member

Thanks for that Rob, i’ve just had a look at their site and joined them, hopefully get to see a bit more of Thetford other than the “red” and “black” routes!

Any other places to ride other than Thetford?

letmetalktomark

Its also a bit muddy that way …..

Only just still smiling 😡

carlphillips
    Free Member

dear god that looks super rubbish, you must be pretty keen to want to ride that featureless somme…hats off to you.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Norfolk has some good riding if you know where to look ;o)
    Whereabouts are you going to be based ?

http://easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/index.php

are a freindly bunch
    Theres some good stuff up at Bacton woods and up around Sheringham too

Iveni Velo: http://www.icenivelo.co.uk/ are a Norwich based cycling club who do a pretty good Midweek night ride around Norwich, affectionately known as the “Urban Jungle” basically hitting all the trails and cheeky trails around the city.

Plenty about, drop us a line if you want to hook up or know more
    Cheers
    Dom

_tom_
    Free Member

aaaaand that’s why I bought a road bike.

+1, East Midlands “mountain bike” riding is gash. Good round here for miles of empty country roads, skateparks and dirt jumps though.

johnnystorm

It’s worth having a look at http://www.trogmtb.com if you fancy a trip to the Coast. 😀

Northwind

There might be no descents but look on the bright side, there’s no climbs!

merlinshearer
    Free Member

@colournoise we should meet up, work in the ‘boro but live north of stamford: me and the lads ride over wansford way or wakerley woods or up my way – drop us a mail and we can share knowledge

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Welcome to 'mountain' biking in The Fens.’ is closed to new replies.