Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Weight question?
  • mactheknife

Ok was just reading a topic on another forum about bike weight vs rider weight etc and the difference it makes to a ride. the main argument was that bike weight was not a big issue within a few pounds but tyres ie rolling resistance, rotational weight and bike geometry are the main factors.

This got me thinking to an issue i have had recently. I run my bike for general trail riding with a set of dual air revelations on, but if i head abroad or if i am doing big days where i want a more solid feel and all round better suspension i will put my coil lyriks on. With the lighter revs on the bike feels livelier uphill, and slightly less sluggish, but with the lyriks it feels a whole different beast, so much more tiring on the legs.

Now as they are 2 Lbs heavier i expected that but i think the main reason for the heavy feeling is where the extra weight is located. Low at the front of the bike so basically you are having to directly force that weight forward. Not a scientific answer but just the feeling i get.

Strangely though my times dont seem to be significantly slower around my local loop with the lyriks on. So it all might just be in my head. confused. 🙄

So my question is it all in my head or does the extra 2Lbs at the front really affect the feel of the bike so much over say having a full camelbak.

boxfish
    Free Member

Tyres definitely make a difference, and rotational weight of your wheels affects acceleration. I suppose you’ll notice the unsprung weight of heavier forks slightly more when riding uphill/slower?

The biggest effect I’ve found though is losing the spare-tyre around my waist!

Garry_Lager

I have a BFe with lyrics and it feels like a total pig bike after a few hours in the saddle. Like you, though, I think the difference between a lighter fork would be largely mental (in terms of speed, efficiency etc) – certainly an extra couple of lbs can’t be significant at the level I ride at. The forks handle differently, obviously, and I think this heavier, firmer feel gives an impression that the bike is crawling up hills. Sticking a pair of revs on though won’t make much difference to an overall ride time IMHO.

chiefgrooveguru

How much does the axle-crown height differ between the two forks?

mactheknife

the lyriks are u_turn so the crown to able height differs but I run them Peru much the same to be honest.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You have to seperate out the feel of the bike from how fast your actualy going.

e.g. My 29er feels slow but is actualy significantly quicker than the comparable 26er offroad riding an XC loop.

So a light bike won’t make you (much) faster, but it will feel faster, ditto light wheels feel like they make more of a diference than other light components, but against the stopwatch the difference is minimal, hence roadies now riding relatively deep section aero wheels as there’s more to be gained through aerodynamics than light wheels, even through the more areo wheels probably feel sluggish.

Usualy people point out that saving 100g or 1/4lb might seem like a lot on the bike, but is actualy about 0.1% of the bike + rider weight. And as a result won’t actualy make you any faster. What those people miss out on is that a lot of your performance is in your head and knowing your bike is light, and feels fast can be a big boost too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2lbs making a significant difference is in your mind.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you were riding a bike up a constant gradient on tarmac then yes, 2lbs would be a tiny factor. That’s what people are calculating when they say ‘oh it’s only 1% of your overall weight’.

But if you’re on a singletrack climb that’s in any way technical, you’re manoeuvring the bike all over the place, putting in little spurts of power (or big ones) to get over things, you’re braking and accelerating all the time in small amounts. This is where the extra weight makes itself felt.

I recently hired a road bike about 5lbs heavier than my own. Riding around it felt fine, riding up hills it was also fine, but any little vigorous acceleration – getting the bike moving from a junction or putting in a burst for a short incline for instance – needed a bit more effort. Added up, that made itself felt.

My Patriot is definitely significantly slower up hills than my 5. I’ve timed it repeatedly. Both are XC builds so riding position is not terribly different.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2lbs making a significant difference is in your mind.

Which then makes you feel better about the bike, ride faster, and make a difference…….. (possibly)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agreed TINAS, I am with you on this, I like a light bike when I can afford it.

We are so sensitive to weight that it seems significant but the stopwatch tells otherwise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Weight question?’ is closed to new replies.