Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Weight obsession :(
  • Kryton57

After my weekend Angst over my anthem as a marathon bike, I just caught myself nearly spending £599 on a new wheelset to save 346g or the weight of three medium bananas from my fruitbowl.

I then started stressing about the fact they say “Alex” on them, and people will think I’m cheap.

Its not even though I’m troubling the top 50 Marathon places. I do believe I’ve gone mad.

😯

Yak

Maybe de-sticker them then 😉

lowey

Apparently Alex rims.

tomhoward

If it’s any consolation, I’ve spent much more per gram saved on some things.

£100 on a (unused SH) carbon stem, that retails for £250, saved 20g
    Can’t remember the figures, but I’ve had some shimano yumeya kit before, namely m970 brake res covers, that saved 3g over stock… on a 35lb freeride bike.

drofluf
    Free Member

Maybe de-sticker them then

Another few grams saved as well! Lik ethe way you’re thinking 🙂

ton

I topped the scales a 20.5 stone this morning.

get a **** life you saddo…………… 😀

TiRed

Swapped the cheap SKS commuter mudguards for some lightweight carbon ones on my winter bike. Think it may be sub 11 kilos now – and that’s with Ultegra and Ksyriums!

simondbarnes

Alex make some good rims 🙂

everyone
    Free Member

These people won’t judge you…

soulrider
    Free Member

Apparently Alex rims.

Very very well 😈

scud
    Free Member

Drill everything and take saddle off? What could go wrong..

adsh
    Free Member

That is a huge amount of money for anything other than top drawer components.
    Alex may be great but you’ll take a substantial hit on resale value because of their perceived quality.

FWIW I bought a pair of handbuilt wheels from ActionSports for £649:-
    Crests
    DT240 6 bolt
    CXrays

1450g I think. The new MK3 Crests make carbon rims on such a bike redundant.

adsh
    Free Member

What wheels were they? Also if your current wheels are as you said (not that I’m stalking you) 1900g and these are 349g lighter then the resultant 1551g is not a good weight for that money.

Sandwich

346g or the weight of three medium bananas from my fruitbowl.

327kcals saved then!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agreed, you get to a point where it gets daft – this is different for everyone.

Does this mean you’ll stop buying new stuff OP? 😛

Trimix
    Free Member

No one seems to think about weight saving with clothing though.

Start cutting bits off your riding kit to save similar amounts. Or ride naked.

Northwind

The weight of bananas compared to wheels only matters if you put them inside your tyres.

I like lighter bikes but wheels especially- light wheels and tyres- make such a difference to feel. I don’t care if it makes you x% faster up a hill or whatever, I like how it feels when moving the bike around. (though I like how heavy wheels feel when steamrollering rocks, to be fair)

simondbarnes

Or ride naked.

I tried that, it’snot very comfy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crests
    DT240 6 bolt
    CXrays

1450g I think 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Just nabbed a PR on a steep climb on a 28lb bike. About a minute quicker than the effort on my 21lb 26er, and I was fitter then too.

I am however seriously considering spending £40 on a new disc rotor in black to replace the blue one I have in the spares bin.

Kryton57

Does this mean you’ll stop buying new stuff OP?

After seeing a Youtube video where a bloke uses an old pair of road bars and an inner tube to make a bike rack, which I’ve replicated in my shed:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TVseVU]FullSizeRender[/url]

…instead of buying a new solution I may have turned a corner… 🙂

What wheels were they? Also if your current wheels are as you said (not that I’m stalking you) 1900g and these are 349g lighter then the resultant 1551g is not a good weight for that money.

I have the Raleigh promax wheels (alex rims, chosen hubs) which weigh in at 1915g, and was looking at AC Wide Lightnings at 1546g for £599.

molgrips
    Free Member

No one seems to think about weight saving with clothing though.

Oh, they do. Trust me.

You new at this game or something? 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

instead of buying a new solution I may have turned a corner

I can quote this on your next thread asking for purchase advice?

adsh
    Free Member

https://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-swiss-240s-disc-is-custom-wheelset-mtb-29er-4051?c=398

1453g (I was out by 3g must try harder) and 649Euros which is about £550

I am impressed – arrived in less than a week and build quality is really good. Better hubs than ACs I think (even though I like ACs I think the DTs are possibly better sealed and also don’t suffer from redishing issues if you move to SRAM XD which my older ACs did)

andyl
    Free Member

1450g I think. The new MK3 Crests make carbon rims on such a bike redundant.

In pure weight terms yes. But carbon rims are not just about the weight.

adsh
    Free Member

^ agreed but I meant for a marathon bike where pinpoint steering accuracy and megastiffness aren’t really top of the tree.

funkmasterp

Never really bothered by weight. I’m not the fastest rider and tend to crash / fall off a fair bit. Therefore bombproofness is my number one priority. Just see it as fitness training, the extra weight will get you fitter 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I was annoyed today when I fitted a new cassette which was 30g more than the old one 🙁

richardthird

adsh – aaaarrrrgh.

Bought some secondhand Crests on Pro2 evos. Must have been heavy spokes as they come in about 1850g taped with valves.

And now I’m looking at your link damn it.

Kryton, saving weight on wheels is fine, and 300g+ is a lot tbh, but agree that’s not top value you’ve found.

Kryton57

Kryton, saving weight on wheels is fine, and 300g+ is a lot tbh, but agree that’s not top value you’ve found.

Is ADSH’s better?

ADSH – I can only get to 1471g – hub, std QR/15mm front, Crests, Revolution spokes, alu nipples for £511. How did you get to 1453g?

I think for Marathon general trail I’d be better of with DT’s 331’s rather then crests?

Also, it says on the website that the “through bolt” goes straight into a standard QR – does it really replace a standard QR? What does it screw into?

scotroutes

I can quote this on your next thread asking for purchase advice?
    [/quote]
    No need to wait (see above)

Rorschach
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL, I love how he tries to keep that bs going.

It’s the gift that keeps giving.

Kryton57

I’m not buying them I’m just intrigued!

I found a calculator that I plugged the “all things being equal except weight” variables in for the Built wells marathon distance – 65k – and it shows i’d be 60m behind with a 376g weight penalty. I just need to train to ride faster for 60m with my current wheels 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    I think for Marathon general trail I’d be better of with DT’s 331’s rather then crests?

That’s what my wheels essentially are, DT XR331’s on 350 hubs badge’d up as KTM Team CC and they’re rather nice to be honest.

molgrips
    Free Member

it shows i’d be 60m behind with a 376g weight penalty

Not sure about this.

In MTBing generally, when trying to go fast, a huge amount of energy is expended accelerating after having to brake for something. Particularly true on windy twisty XC courses. Heavy wheels make a huge difference in this situation. Much more so than when simply climbing.

Ok so a Builth marathon isn’t like a Gorrick, but its still much more of an issue than on road.

Kryton57

Likewise, they also accelerate faster / easier downhill and less chance of a stall in a rebound situations fork setup given.

adsh
    Free Member

Likewise, they also accelerate faster / easier downhill and less chance of a stall in a rebound situations fork setup given.

When I shoot myself will it be suicide or will this count as manslaughter

Kryton57

Lol, I’m not sure whether you’ve tapped into my SOH or not.

Indeed, the pointless this of this level of detail isn’t lost on me either…

weeksy

I get the logic, but surely if you’re running 4th at the events, be they Gorricks or Marathons, then i get it… But if you’re in a battle for 23rd does it matter if you’re 23rd or 22nd ? Surely if you’re a chunk of the pace, throwing light wheels at the problem isn’t the answer….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Weight obsession :(’ is closed to new replies.