Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Weekend in Barcelona – things to do?
  • geoffj

It’s nearly 20 years since I went.
    Is that cathedral finished yet?
    The Picasso museum is in the list and park guell, but what else is good?

Tia

martinhutch

Is that cathedral finished yet?

What do you think? 🙂

When I visited the echoing of the pneumatic drilling really added to the ambiance of the place.

wallop

Lunch or dinner at Santa Gula.

Going for a wander up at the fort is nice – we got the funicular up and then walked back down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Paella at sept portes.

Romantic meal at pla.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If you can, go to the footy.

soobalias
    Free Member

hire a bike

jimdubleyou

Haven’t been for ages.

Montjuic and Olympic park were good the last time.

timber

I remember a bar with a volleyball court on the beach in front of it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Still smells of bin juice early in the morning, still busy as hell, still lovey.

Last time we went super tourist and spent half a day on a tour bus listening to poorly translated English tour notes, it was actually pretty good.

Ate at some nice restaurants found via Trip Advisor, I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad meal in Barca, but some have been overly expensive and a bit crampt in the busy areas, the port area was better on both scores.

Also so some little cars with massive sat-nav screens you could rent, but I didn’t find the time – very short trip sadly.

dmck16
    Free Member

Sidecar Tour

Quite spendy, but great fun. You can personalise the tour to suit, and also see places you would otherwise have missed.
    Our guide gave us a few recommendations for restaurants which were fantastic – Llamber being the pick of the bunch.

The markets are worth a visit – La Boqueria seems to be the biggest.

edhornby

Parc Guell you now have to buy tickets for, still worth it though. Definitely use the hire bikes, there is a velib style system and lots of lanes along the big Boulevards. Go early to the picasso museum.

Tapas 21 is fab, also the bocqueria

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Boqueria is awesome. Great place to have brekkie as well at one of the cafes up the back.

geoffj

Thanks guys – keep them coming please.

dmck16
    Free Member

edhornby – Member
    Parc Guell you now have to buy tickets for, still worth it though.

Bit of a tip here:
    Our tour guide walked us up the street from the main park gates, where you then access a public path that loops round Parc Guell, bringing you back down the steep steps at the other end of the street. You get the same sights and views without paying an entrance fee.

Then instead of a coffee stop near the park (and therefore paying tourist prices), head down the hill to one of the plazas in Gracia with the locals.
    Placa de la Virreina was lovely.

binners

Is the cathedral finished yet?

Manyana

Are Barca playing at home?

Been a few times and one of my favourite things was getting the train down the coast (30 minutes IIRC) to Sitges. My gay mate told me ‘you’ve got to go there. It’s the gayest place on earth!’

He wasn’t kidding!

As we walked out of the station the first thing we saw was a bloke roller-blading towards us in just a pair of speedos. It’s like a theme park designed by the village people and Freddie Mercury. One of the most insane places I’ve ever been. Bonkers! A right old laugh though 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

*has horrible vision of Binners in budgie smugglers*

My eyes!!!!

binners

I’m happy to report that that particular horror is something that you will never have to witness.

Unless you ask me nicely, or catch me on one of my regular roller-blading excursions to Sitges 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

From memory, park guell wasn’t that expensive, have a search for how to get there, as the way we went had loads of escalators built into the street! Which was quite handy with the mental steep streets we were on.

Casa Batlo is worth a look inside, other than that, it’s a fab city.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

As above, have dinner at Pla, it’s excellent. (slightly biased, we got engaged there!)

wallop

Yes we’ve been to Pla a few times – it’s very romantic!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cathedral looks far more finished than when I first visted in 1982. Fabulous.

My food recommendation is Botafumeiro, either full dinner or a quick plate sat at the bar.

Walk on the beach, stroll around the marina (have a drink somewhere but I prefer to eat elsewhere). A few fun night clubs / late night spots around the beach.

Gaudi buildings and gardens on the hill side.

My daughter lived there for 2 years and had a great time (studying and working)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Barcelona – things to do?’ is closed to new replies.