• This topic has 93 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Wednesday Night Pentlands anyone?
  • Northwind

Looks like a pretty nice night tomorrow, was thinking I might head out for a quick loop- maybe 6.30 start at bonaly, up the hill to allermuir and a big circle round to balerno, at most 2 bags of haribo…

ojom
    Free Member

Baby is now 4 days overdue. I best stay at home 🙂

scotroutes

Curry.
    Hot bath.

ojom
    Free Member

I was aiming for the more horizontal wives tale.

13thfloormonk

I was out on Sunday researching the perfect urban singletrack route from Granton to the Pentlands, was going pretty well until I got to the top of Corstorphine Hill where in a strange sequence of events I ended up going over the bars on a climb, smashing my bollocks off a pointy rock, bending my forks and cracking my 4 month old Salsa Vaya at the headtube 😥

Disaster.

I wholeheartedly applaud you for trying to get these rides going again though, perhaps I’ll just sell off the remains of the Salsa and get myself a cheap second hand singlespeed MTB for the winter 🙄

bigjim

maybe – bit early for me to make it from werk though

bigjim

also think I’m just going to put the Barons on so might come home to two flat tyres and accompanying puddles of jizz…

Northwind

It could be a wee bit later to start if that helps…

yacoby
    Free Member

maybe – depends on how I feel after work. will decide tomorrow lunch time or whenever.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not tomorrow but I might be up for the odd one this winter.

Seeing 13FM smash his bollocks sounds entertaining.

13thfloormonk

entertaining

Well, I guess the force with which I managed to go over the bars, on an uphill, was a bit Danny McCaskill-ish, doubt there was much else entertaining about watching a grown man curl up in a ball in the middle of the trail for 5 minutes though…

NZCol

Can’t do tonight, was out last night for a couple of hours from 8pm – bonaly, puke hill, round the back of that hill with the pole, crazy slidey sheep track, waterfalls, black hill, maidens, the other clough that i can’t name, currie rooty singletrack, poets, home.
    Was a lovely night, windy and cold but clear mostly. Sadly was on my lonesome but worked out OK.

Always keen for Tuesdays and Thursday, later start for me so i can do baby bath time.

ojom – good to meet you the other week, sing out when baby arrives if you need anything.

scruff9252

Can’t for the time being due to broken wrist but I’m both local and have lights on order for some night riding. Quite keen if this becomes a regular thing…

Northwind

OK, I’m heading out anyway so if anyone fancies it, meet me at the gate at Bonaly, at the bottom of Puke Hill (beside the bonaly car park)- NOT the shops like we used to, because I cannot be bothered to ride down the hill in order to ride back up. 6.30ish I will be there, on a grey ragley

(if you’re running late, give me a text on 07749 496159!)

Oh aye generally tuesdays and thursdays work better for me too, busy couple of weeks for me but might do this again next wed or thurs.

kcal

always chuckle at the (rightfully named) puke hill – I’m sure several folk have named it that for obvious reasons, I was aware of my mate calling it that early 90s – he’ll be happy his naming lives on…

That and Scalextric…

NZCol

I didn’t know it was called Puke Hill until recently, i had called it the Tip Track in homage to my ex-b”$£% hill in Wellington I have left behind. Its an honest grunt to the top. Scaletrix appeared on my Garmin one day as i went down it , didn’t even know it had a name.

I’ll be out next Tuesday and/or Thursday

hels
    Free Member

I know somebody who puked on puke hill on an ill-advised saturday morning ride (this was after it got the name, but good effort).

ojom
    Free Member

Thanks Colin – I got your text as well. Sorry for not replying, I think i was up to my arms in Crown Low Odour Wheatgrass Matt Emulsion at the time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone done Puke Hill on a singlespeed?

I managed it once when fit. Bastards riding with me sprinted ahead to open the gate at the top so I had to ride on through it 😡

scotroutes

sharki tried and snapped a chain

cynic-al
    Free Member

Who is his mechanic?

NZCol

I caught up with a guy (Ewan) and another dude who was on a SS, i could tell from a distance as he was massively zig zagging !

kcal

LOL. Must confess by the time I got a SS I was no longer criss-crossing the Pentlands.

NZCol – mate of mine, Eoin, sometimes is on the Pentlands, though I don’t think he has any SS mates and hasn’t been up recently.. not in last fortnight anyway.

AlasdairMc

I’ve done Puke Hill on a single speed up to the turn before the first gate, but never beyond that as my knees and fitness won’t let me. However, I’ve got the SS in with me today so may give it a shot on the way home…

NZCol

It was ewan it was angus, there you go. He was on a fatbike.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Bump for future reference. Going to struggle this week, but I’m sure I’ll join you at some point.

Graeme

bigjim

cfinnimore of this shire puked at the top of puke hill on an stw wednesday ride a couple of years back. single speed inbred with the seat down I seem to recall, not a surprising result!

13thfloormonk

Had a really good stab at it, maybe managed 75% of the way up between the two gates on a 32:16, definitely seem to remember making it past the second waterbar thing, if there are even two?

No chance of ever repeating that effort though…

ChrisL

cynic-al – Member

Anyone done Puke Hill on a singlespeed?

I recall seeing someone on a singleated Stiffee go up it in the dim and distant past. They managed to get at least as far as I could see and I didn’t pass them later, so it seemed quite likely they got pretty far at least without any mechanicals.

Northwind

I often can’t be arsed to ride up it with gears.

bigjim

I never used to ride up it until I went on an stw ride where everyone shot up it.

Not going to make it tonight due to working for THE MAN

ojom
    Free Member

Northwind was out. I bumped into him on the way home.

DougD

I headed out with him in the end, met by the bottom of puke hill, had a good outing. Really nice evening for it.

bigjim

I rode up howden glen and down allermuir, didn’t see any other lights. Was surprisingly nice up there.

Northwind

Mark, I decided your mate looked a bit keen and fast so pretended to be waiting at the gate for stragglers. Luckily a straggler turned up! Cheers for the ride Doug, we need to find more holes for me to ride into next time. Mmm beer and pizza

I’m thinking next thursday looks like a good night

ojom
    Free Member

Bishop is fun. He came for a job once and mention he likes riding his Galaxy a bit.
    A few weeks into the job he casually dropped in that it had done tens of thousands of miles on a round the world ride.
    He doesn’t like to boast.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’d often wondered if anyone had genuinely puked on Puke Hill. I’ve cursed, sworn, sweated, walked and fallen on it, but not puked. Yet!

Hels, was it someone I know too?

NZCol

I’m out riding tonight, 7:50pm at bypass overbridge top of bonaly rd if any other keen beans for a slide.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Cheers for the ride last night gents – good to get a decent midweek Pentlands spin in again. See you for another of these soon (hopefully get out next week too).

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’d be up for regular night rides again. I’ll keep an eye on the forum.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Wednesday Night Pentlands anyone?’ is closed to new replies.