• This topic has 127 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • We done the "Lane Hogging" conviction yet?
  • cookeaa
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

Good, let’s hope they hammer more of these idiots.

imnotverygood

Hooray for that! 5 points is quite a lot though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Bet he/she turned down a 3 point ticket, in which case it’s nearly always more in court.

+1 for good.

welshfarmer

About time too. Gets my goat! Try driving with a trailer where the outside lane is taboo. Proper menace to other road users.

jimw
    Free Member

Contested it, didn’t turn up for court appearance = 5 points

binners

I still think my idea of snipers strategically placed on motorway bridges is betterer

But its a start 😀

fubar
    Free Member

I had to wonder about the speed / ability of all those poor people who were ‘forced’ to brake because he was doing only 60mph.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I had to wonder about the speed / ability of all those poor people who were ‘forced’ to brake because he was doing only 60mph.

Eh?

cookeaa

Good, let’s hope they hammer more of these idiots.

**** Yeah!

We’ve got our prioroties straight in this country you can tell because:

The driver of a Citroen Berlingo van has been left with a £940 court bill and five points on his licence after he chugged along at 60mph in the middle lane when the inside lane was free.

Police said six drivers had to brake and then overtake after being blocked by the Berlingo on August 25 last year on the eastbound M62 near junction 23…

…The driver of the van failed to attend court but was given five penalty points and ordered to pay a £500 fine, £400 in costs and a £40 victim surcharge in his absence….

Close to a grand for being a bit of a dick (Including a “Victim surcharge” FFS) while It’s OK to mow down old people if your yapping on your iPhone

Hooray for driving cars…

jamesfts
    Free Member

People in a hurry doing 90mph+ obvs. Inconsiderate sod!

D0NK

Hooray for that! 5 points is quite a lot though.

well it’s more than you typically get for killing someone, so yeah I see your point.

Contested it, didn’t turn up for court appearance = 5 points

that’s more like it, waste court time and woe betide

Bez

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think braking is one of the recognised techniques for slowing down to avoid hitting something in front of you, and since no one drove into the back of him I guess their ability is ok?

ThePinkster

While I applaud the police for actually charging someone for this, but WTF is

and a £40 victim surcharge.

? Never heard of that before.

Also, if he the left lane was clear, you’re in that lane anyway and the middle lane is going slower than you it’s not actually illegal to undertake so I don’t quite get the ‘braking and moving into the overtaking lane’ comment.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I still think my idea of snipers strategically placed on motorway bridges is betterer

This is one thing we both agree on then!

Bez

Proper menace to other road users.

I think you’ve misspelled “fairly minor annoyance”.

DezB
    Free Member

First ever motorist convicted for ‘lane hogging’

How long has the law been in force? And that’s the first conviction??

Stirling job boys in blue! 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I regularly use the M25 from QE bridge to J9 and back. This is Surrey territory and with that in mind it’s clearly Ok to drive in the middle lane regardless of vehicle type/age/age of driver/sexual orientation or vehicle or driver or in the main if you reside in Surrey itself.
    Last night a casing point, most drivers now undertake the morons.

I like the idea of snipers, but since the M25’s covered in cameras I’m not wholey sure why the numpties behind the “traffic flow management” can’t simply track the vehicle from one gantry to the next and if nothings in the lanes ahead/either side jettison a small nuclear device from the 5th gantry into the drivers window.

Surrey would be barren. 😆

D0NK

while It’s OK to mow down old people if your yapping on your iPhone.

that one’s possibly down to a jury of muppets, who consider yapping on the phone (speaker or not) and piling into a couple out walking not to be dangerous driving.

I think you’ve misspelled “fairly minor annoyance”.

I was going to go with “pain in the arse” which is still quite a long way from “menace”

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for Bez’s tweet. You should form a tag team with Chris Boardman!

TheFlyingOx

Excellent work.

I’ll add that I was told in no uncertain terms by my driving instructors for both car and motorbike that if I didn’t travel at the speed limit for the road, assuming the conditions were suitable and there was no reason not to, then I would fail my test.

thegreatape
    Free Member

First ever motorist convicted for ‘lane hogging’

How long has the law been in force? And that’s the first conviction??

Stirling job boys in blue!

Maybe everyone else paid their tickets? 😀

Bez

imnotverygood

Also, if he the left lane was clear, you’re in that lane anyway and the middle lane is going slower than you it’s not actually illegal to undertake so I don’t quite

Having one vehicle in a lane doesn’t constitute ‘the middle lane going slower’. If you went past in the inside lane, you’d be done.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It’s probably only the first conviction because there’s bugger all police on the motorway to enforce this, or will they use middle lane cameras….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

£40 victim surcharge

Have they managed to track down the victims? I think I might have been one…..how much do I get?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is this a genuine significant safety issue or more something for motorway drivers to whine about??

thegreatape
    Free Member

Victim Surcharge funds Victim Support services, it doesn’t go the the specific victim of a particular crime (unlike any compensation awarded).

Bez

+1 for Bez’s tweet. You should form a tag team with Chris Boardman!

Already on it 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well that doesn’t sound very fair mr ape 😐

DezB
    Free Member

If you went past in the inside lane, you’d be done.

I do this. A lot.
    [/wildncrazy]

imnotverygood

If you went past in the inside lane, you’d be done.

I do this. A lot.
    [/wildncrazy]
    Then you’ll get done. 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think there are mixed feelings about the scheme within the legal profession too, so if you mean unfairness to those who have to pay it then you’re in esteemed company 🙂

It’s separate from any compensation you would get from the culprit or criminal injuries compensation scheme if you were the victim of a crime though, so if you mean unfairness to victims then I don’t think it causes that.

That’s my understanding anyway.

fubar
    Free Member

I think braking is one of the recognised techniques for slowing down

So it is, silly me! There’s silly old me thinking that observation and easing off the accelerator before I plough into the back of someone who is only doing 10mph slower than me is preferable if I don’t want to overtake.

DezB
    Free Member

Then you’ll get done.

Not if the lane hogging enforcement record is anything to go by!

Pooley
    Free Member

As Des says, law been in since 2013, and this is the 1st, FIRST! conviction! Why have a law if we can’t/won’t enforce it

binners

Is this a genuine significant safety issue or more something for motorway drivers to whine about??

If the ****-wits who sit in the middle lane didn’t, and stayed in the lane they were meant to be in instead, then the whole network would function as it was designed too, making life a lot easier for everyone. And, yes… safer.

Pick pretty much any process, and decide that you’re going to totally ignore one massively fundamental and significant part of it, and see what happens?

BillOddie

One thing the French are better at than the Brits…driving on motorways.*

If you see someone hogging the middle lane on an Autoroute, it’s invariably a Brit.

* = Unless you’re driving around the peripherique on the outskirts of Paris, when it’s every man for himself.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I mean the one which puts me in esteemed company obviously.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘We done the "Lane Hogging" conviction yet?’ is closed to new replies.