Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Water Softeners – yay or nay?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Info on the web seems to be either manufacturers cases (which seem very strong – anything with an element won’t get scaled up so will work more efficiently and last longer) or ‘use a water softener and the world will end (sodium in your drinking water, excessive use of water to flush them out/salt used poisoning the water table).

Any views here?

grantway
    Free Member

Before you part with your cash
    Give your water provider a call and find out
    actually how hard your water is.

acidchunks

really depends on how hard your water is and what the benefits will be to you.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/hardness_map.pdf

using a softner will prolong the life of water heating elements in you household appliances and if you suffer from eczema using softned water may ease your symptoms.

from what I recall you’re best installing a separate untreated drinking water tap as the process used by the softener will leave the water with a salty taste.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Softened water ruins central heating systems, so make sure that you can use fresh water to fill up your system

tomd
    Free Member

I used to have one in a house I rented. It did work, but used a shed load of salt. There was a small drinking water tap as well that bypassed the filter. I always thought that if everyone got one the amount of salt would be enough to upset the water treatment works. If you have a septic tank I guess it would be even worse.

I had to keep using it as the landlord had clearly been sucked in to buying one and thought the kettle & washing machine would explode if it wasn’t kept stocked with salt. The salts not cheap either, unless you buy it massive quantities!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Glad we have a water softener. Wont go back to not having one. Get a water test kit from screwfix for a fiver if you want to know how hard your water is. Wife had excema and is all gone. Less cleaning chemicals, such as descaler, which probably does more damage to the water table than the salt it uses. Ours is an old fashion timer, but more modern machines adjust back flushing relative to water usage. We get through a 25 kg of salt every 6 to 7 weeks, which is about £7 , if you buy a few bags. We save more on buying that than the cleaning and soap products, washing powders, descalers. Also less effort to clean the house etc. We left the sink tap in the kitchen on mains, so didnt put an extra tap there. When looking, I spoke to plumbers about the different products on the market, such as magnets, chrystal devices. They all said, dont go halfway, just get the softener. For us in the home counties is worth its weight in gold.

Bear
    Free Member

Not allowed a softener on a septic tank I believe.

Paul – very bold claim, one which Harvey (google Harvey Softeners) would repute, and he challenges anyone to show him a boiler that has been damaged by softened water. I realise which side of the fence he sits on, and also realise that a lot of boiler companies will not accept softened water in the primary side, however some don’t mind at all.

Usually not a problem as just take a hard water supply to the boiler filling system. Failing that a simple note to bypass softener when filling heating system.

Bear
    Free Member
    sadmadalan

Live in NE Hampshire and had one fitted ages ago (the Harvey one). Would not go back. Cleaning is a lot quicker, don’t need so many strange chemicals. Shower does not clog up. Kettle does not fur up. We are having a new immersion tank installed soon and the plumber recommended that we get a water softener to prolong the life of the tank.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Water Softeners – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.