Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Warranty return decision times on frames
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

Hi All,

Would be good to hear how long it has taken people to get warranty returns sorted on frames and what you would consider as taking to long?

Assuming no complications / original buyer with receipt and taking back to place of purchase within warranty period.

Understand it can be a bit of a faf for bike shops, needs to be inspected to make sure it is not rider fault and potentially sent back to manufacturer etc.

tthew

There’s an enormous range of answers. What manufacturer?

Commencal – unlikely to get sorted for months, Evans Cycles gave me a credit note against anything else they had.

tjagain

Is this a return under consumer protection legislation? If so a couple of weeks max. If it is additional warranty from the manufacturer whatever they want

Simon

Only ever had to warranty one frame.
    I snapped a Marin Rocky Ridge around 8 years ago. Took the bike into the shop where I bought it on Thurs or maybe even Friday. They looked at it, agreed it was a warranty case and a new frame arrived the following Monday!

marksnook
    Free Member

Currently awaiting warranty on my kona, been 2 weeks so far. Shop have kept in touch but nothing from distributor. Frame has lifetime warranty, carbon bridge has a crack in it. No brainer in my eyes! Just want my bike fixed!

antares
    Free Member

Took a week for Giant to sort me a new Anthem frame

fudge9202
    Free Member

My one and only warranty claim with Transition (4yrs ago)

After 6 months of waiting I have finally received my Transition Bandit frame under warranty, despite Transition washing their hands of it I would like to thank Graham and Clem from Surfsales for stepping into the breach and replacing the frame. Yes I know the timescale is not good to say the least but time was wasted dealing with the manufacturer. Also thanks to hora, theflatboy, druidh, and a certain banned member for all their advice, legal and technical.

taxi25
    Free Member

Had a lapierre swinging arm break. None existed, it was 5 mnths before some were made on a new production run.
    Luckily the Lbs had a S/h one to lend me. It was the wrong colour but it kept me riding.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Thanks all. It’s being dealt with by shop the best they can. Just never had to return a frame and have no idea how long to wait / like if it would be weeks or longer. The shop seemed like they had never sent the brand/frame combo back to manufacturer without obvious crash damage and were unsure how long they would take to sort it for them, just said asap. Bit of an edge case in terms of damage – no idea how it could have happened. No need for names / beeeitching 🙂 Will say if dealt with well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Giant warranty experience was blisteringly quick. Broke the frame in a Tuesday, and on the Saturday of that same week I was building the new frame up. Worth noting they included a new shock, BB, headset and seat collar with the replacement frame.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Marin turned my frame around in a week, that included three epic southern snow days of total grid lock due to,about 3 inches of snow!

marksnook
    Free Member

All those quick turn around stories are not filling me with confidence!
    If the distributor even just acknowledged they were looking into it it would be something. Hopefully it’s underway

Splash-man
    Free Member

My secondhand out of warranty Calibre Dune was replaced within a couple of weeks after submitting a picture of the crack. Would change been quicker but they were waiting on a shipment of frames.
    They didn’t ask for the original frame back, all sorted over a couple of emails.

Big thumbs up to Calibre.

scotroutes

In a round-about way, a longer wait can be a good thing. If there is a history of failure then the company is more likely to accept it’s just another. If it’s a one-off then they have more reason to delay for inspection etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In a round-about way, a longer wait can be a good thing. If there is a history of failure then the company is more likely to accept it’s just another. If it’s a one-off then they have more reason to delay for inspection etc.

Valid point.

Mine was a frame manufacturing defect that they were gradually becoming aware of at the time, so perhaps they were ready for it.

A company with very rare recalls/faults may not be that well equipped to deal with issues. I’d expect a bigger company to be prepared regardless.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My experience of Giant and warrant was spectacular. Cracked a frame in Whistler & they offered to replace it there, but was coming home not long after & they had the frame sat waiting for me on return.

Didn’t even want the old one back, or the shock so was able to sell that too 🙂

Yeti on the other hand, was a joke. Even more so, given my position/association at the time. A prime example of how not to do things.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Warranty return decision times on frames’ is closed to new replies.