Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Warmer winter top?
  • FOG

I have got loads of wind/waterproofs but this last few weeks I have been a wearing most of my cycling wardrobe just to stay warm. So what thicker top for the rest of the winter to avoid the “homeless person wearing all their clothes” look?

Fantombiker

Assos 851 jacket is very good.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d add a merino base layer far more insulating than a thinker top, also helps to regulate your body temperature. The long sleeve enduros ones are very good

drewd

Merino here too, with a soft shell jacket if it’s really cold, but I do tend to run warm.

drlex
    Free Member

I find Helly Hansen warm – poly/merino mix – to be ideal this time of year. Base, HH, then wind shirt.

MoreCashThanDash

Foskas warm winter top, can’t remember what the current version is called, but it’s my warmest jacket by miles

onewheelgood

Foska over a merino base layer does me. With a long sleeve jersey between the two if it’s really cold.

dobo
    Free Member

I like a poly pro thermal rash vest, the sort you would use under a wetsuit then merino on top. its kinda like a thick fleecy helly hansen base layer.
    helly hansen warm tops are nice too.
    neck fleece or buff and headware essential.

Klunk
    Free Member

long sleeve base layer merino or synthetic makes no difference (for me)
    merino jersey
    enduro soft shell
    polar buff

kept me pretty comfortable this morning for 3hrs at -5, It’s kind of a “just right” temp not overly warm that you sweat too much when exerting on the climbs but not so cold you start losing your core temp.

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve got 3 softshells in regular use: old Assos 851, current Assos 851, Gore Oxygen, and the new Assos is the least warm by some margin – dunno what your baseline is, but it may not be a warmer solution. Great jacket, just not my choice for the depths of winter. Their Fugu jacket is warmer, but hilariously expensive.

ElShalimo

Does anyone wear a synthetic base layer under a merino layer in winter?
    I was thinking it might be the best of both worlds.

lunge

I’ve got this Lusso top (on offer at Merlin at the moment) and rate it very highly. My winter top half is generally a UnderArmour thermal base layer, the Lusso too below and a wind proof gillet. Very occasionally, minus 5 and below, I’ll swap the wind proof gillet for a thicker jersey.

http://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-breathe-2-long-sleeve-cycling-jersey-64892.html

dantsw13

A buff for head/ears, decent gloves, and warm feet (I use Northwave Celsius Goretex SPD boots) makes keeping the rest warm much easier.

Roubaix winter bibs, one – one merino base, and my paramo lightweight mountain jacket do it for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Warmer winter top?’ is closed to new replies.