• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Warhammer 40K
  • redsox
    Free Member

Anyone play?

I bought White Dwarf this month* after some guys at work talking about it and fancying a trip down memory lane…….i now find myself scoping the net for Space Marines.

*most likely a midlife crisis

nickdavies

Had a box of it brought up by my parents the other week, ultramarines. Haven’t touched them since moving out 20 years ago.

Also included a blood bowl beast team and an empire army. Wouldn’t be surprised if the metal empire stuff was worth a few quid now.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Used to play (even won a major tournament 8) ). Got loads and loads of stuff in my parents loft. Untold hours spent writing army lists

Every now and again i think about getting back into it, but then i see the price of it and remember how time consuming it could be. If i won the lottery so had time and money to burn then yes, i’d have a room in the house specifically for it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ive got a bunch if unpainted pewter figures for sale…

Jakester
    Free Member

I gave away tons of the stuff a few years ago. My abiding memories are spending hours and hours painting miniatures, and attempting to play the game about twice in five years! 😀

Also had Bloodbowl and lots of the add-on packs etc. I do still have some of the fiction books published as part of the world building by some pretty surprisingly well regarded authors.

woffle
    Free Member

I ‘think’ all my old stuff is safely packed in my parents loft somewhere.

Much as above – I had a couple of Blood Bowl teams, a bunch of Space Marine stuff and lots and lots of various Warhammer odds and sods. And accompanying issues of White Dwarf, books etc.

Christ. Had completely forgotten about it all…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ha!

I have neither the time or inclination to play anymore, but I learned this Monday that Roboute Guilliman is alive once more and the eye of terror is now a rift splitting the Imperium in two.

GW is planning some big shakeups I reckon.

rossburton
    Free Member

I was more a fantasy Warhammer than 40K painter myself, and recently found a mutant rat general in my parent’s attic that was my pride and joy. Also discovered that almost none of the miniatures are pewter anymore!

Definitely was more into the painting badly, and probably actually played a battle twice.

finbar
    Free Member

I don’t play but I am pretty obsessed with the novels, especially anything by Dan Abnett.

spot1978
    Free Member

Yes, and I’m loving it.
    I originally played the game 15/16 years ago and I decided to start again last December.

I bought a few new miniatures, joined the local club ((Newbury) and haven’t looked back….seriously addictive. Especially as the 8th edition rules have only just come out.

Perhaps midlife crisis for me too but I just thought, what the hell, why not just give it a go. Some amount of money later I have a cool 90% painted army……ultramarines.

There’s lots of cool online gaming videos. Check out tabletop tactics TV as they do some freeview stuff that’s great to watch and help you get up to speed.

SamB
    Free Member

As many others, I used to play – more Space Marine (giant robits!!) but a smattering of WH40K, Bloodbowl, Man O’War…

Still have a pile of models and manuals in my parents attic. I don’t play anymore but have been enjoying the recent GW madness, and the fluff is still great. I used to genuinely enjoy the fluff as a teenager; as an adult it’s hilarious.

SKULLS EVERYWHERE! Who are the goodies? Who are the baddies? Who knows! The “goodies” spaceships have giant 1-mile high skulls on the front of them. Every image in the codexes involves some sort of “battle pile” of spacemans shooting off-camera, almost certainly NOT in the direction they’re looking.

It’s bananas and I love it 😀

enigmas
    Free Member

Used to play several years ago, around 4th and 5th edition. I think I had around 8000 points of blood angels in the end!

Gave up when the prices for models got silly expensive, which also coincided with starting mtb and having less time and far less money for the game.

I’ve always kept up with the lore though and still read a lot of black library stuff (the reddit forums are great for filtering out the rubbish). Very tempted to get back into it with the 8th ed rules and the new lore.

On an aside, you’d have made a tidy profit if you bought shares in GW a couple of years ago, which I think coincided with the new chairmain and a more open business model and actual storyline advancements bringing a lot of fans back.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Used to work for GW, left, sold all my stuff (acquired with staff 50% discount), then got back into it about a year ago and instantly regretted getting rid of my stuff. Currently working on the contents of the new 40k starter box (painting the Space Marines up as Flesh Tearers), and on Tuesday played my first game of the new season of Blood Bowl in the league I play in. Blood Bowl is great as you can easily meet up in a pub to play a match over a couple of beers.

redsox
    Free Member

goddamn, I was kinda hoping to be talked out of it, now i’m even more interested

WildHunter2009

Seriously considering getting back into it again. Bromley appears to have a pretty active shop and be good to try some battles again instead of just painting. Also my trusty Nids appear to be actually pretty good in the new edition. Also Genestealer cults are back woop woop. Pretty sure I have some dodgy old metal cast cultist from when the first appeared.

spot1978
    Free Member

Best not look at the Forgeworld stuff then

zokes
    Free Member

Is Epic still going? I had tons (given the lead they’re made from, probably actually as well as metaphorically) of titans, gargants and the like thanks to several toy shops going bust about the same time as I got my first holiday/Saturday job. All still at my parents somewhere.

spot1978
    Free Member

Epic will be coming back at some point, albeit at a different scale and will be primarily based around titans.
    I had a game based on the original rules against a guy from the local club…..I was a great laugh.

Some of the original epic stuff is worth quite a bit

fifeandy
    Free Member

Is Epic still going?

There is no need for epic any more – thanks to Forgeworld you can have 40k scale titans!

Mikkel
    Free Member

used to play a long time ago, gave away small blood angel army some years ago.
    Bloodbowl is a really fun game if there is a bunch of you and you run a tournament, won ours a few times with a Dark elf team.
    Have the original WH40k Rogue Trader book.

We used to take over a friends parents big lounge and had massive tank battles. and local club would also stage even bigger battles that often took 12-18 hours to play out.

Sat here 5 min walk from GQ HQ and tempted to run over there and spend some money right now lol

spot1978
    Free Member

I’d love a warlord titan for 40k; but at £1000…..you could buy a bike for that

Northwind

I just bought the new white dwarf on a whim, purely because of the cover- sent me right back to getting the rogue trader book. I’m never going to get back into it (Thank mork) but I still love the ridiculousness of it. I get my fix from the computer games if I want it, or reading ID4chan (which is genius)

But there’s a new Necromunda, now that’s a danger.

Really should drag out all the old books and minis and see what’s worth anything

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m occasionally tempted by the painting, but a colleague plays and regularly complains about the lack of personal hygiene exhibited by the other players 🙄

durhambiker
    Free Member

Which is about as indicative of the community as cyclists jump red lights. Yeah, true of some, but plenty are normal people who care about their hygiene…

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m occasionally tempted by the painting, but a colleague plays and regularly complains about the lack of personal hygiene exhibited by the other players

Damn Nurgle cultists giving everyone else a bad name as usual.

martinhutch

So the whiff you get when walking into Games Workshop in Leeds isn’t representative of the community in general?

Drac

Man almost goes into Games Workshop

No, I’ve not played since I was about 15 when 40k just started.

Pssst! I’d probably give it a go for a laugh. 😐

Northwind

I have a pretty effective rule for that- I only go into GW or model stores when I’m on holiday. That way, there’s no risk of me buying anything or rejoining the cult.

Just remembered, my little brother got himself blood bowl for christmas, we’ve still never played!

zilog6128

Just remembered, my little brother got himself blood bowl for christmas, we’ve still never played!

You really should, it’s one of the few GW games than actually has a decent game at the core. Great fun, genuinely tense when you strictly enforce the time limit!

Northwind

Oh yeah, we played it a shitload back in the day, I’ve still got the foam boards somewhere, and dungeon bowl and all that. We’ve just not played the shiny new one. In which I will be the orcs, of course, because orcs. And I will totally cheat on the skills rolls to get strength upgrades.

ojom
    Free Member

I paint miniatures in winter only. Long dark nights here in Scotland.

However I read am unhealthy amount of novels. Quite scary how many I can get through.

wcolt
    Free Member

I’ve still got a partially built Dark Vengeance… Like others here I was early teens when 40k came out and got sucked in again by the memories/ no riding for a bit due to injury! Anyone in Surrey area fancy a game then shout!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me who these two sets of fellas are?

WildHunter2009

They look like old Eldar models, top batch possibly dire avengers with an exarch? Not really my area, not enough claws.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Dire Avengers… nup, thems are the ones with the pointy hats, damn

BenjiM

Top are Dark Reapers, Bottom are Eldar Warlocks.

I had a reasonable size Skaven army for WFB and an Ultramarine and Imperial Guard Armies for 40k. By the Emperor the price of the things nowadays, particularly made from plastic! Over 20 years since I last played!

I mean 22.50 for one figure WTF! Primaris Librarian

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Sweet, cheers Benji.
    For sale if anyone wants them

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There are more expensive addictions in life – coke, hookers, wives…..mountain biking.

redsox
    Free Member

I mean 22.50 for one figure WTF! Primaris Librarian

I have to say, the price is utterly shocking for some of the stuff. I fancied one of these, just really for show, till I saw that it retails for about 80 quid:

BenjiM

There are more expensive addictions in life – coke, hookers, wives…..mountain biking.

We’ll see! I might just knock up a 300 point force and see how much it would cost. Then chuck in the cost of paint and glue! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Warhammer 40K’ is closed to new replies.