Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wanna see something weird? (moon pic)
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Saw this a couple of nights ago on Skye when I popped out for a tab.

IanMunro
    Free Member

That's a pretty good moon dog.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

I'm impressed that pic came out so well. Bit of a nightmare those shots.

I like it 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers – looooo-ooong exposure in the freezing snow but glad I took the time! It looked slightly different in the flesh – more like a giant hole in the clouds round the moon, but the long exposure allowed passing low clouds to 'fill in' the hole a bit.

lowey

Lunar Halo. I spotted it the other night as well.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Shame it wasn't the same nigth when we had a partial eclipse of the moon, that would have been interesting!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Nice pic. The moon has been a treat the last couple of nights – driving east along the M4 early yesterday evening when the moon was rising is probably the biggest orangeyest moon I've ever seen. Wish I had a camera for that.

walla24
    Free Member

huh 'lunar halo' i saw something similar just thought it was a coincidence…nice pic 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mine:

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

user_removed's image is beautiful and mysterious; Woppit, yours just looks like a particularly unhealthy ringpiece in comparison, sorry.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I take it you are "qualified" to comment? :mrgreen:

Yes, it does have a sort of sickly and diseased look about it, doesn't it. The last moon of 2009. Says it all for the way the year turned out for me, really. Mostly… 😯

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

LOL. Unfortunately, yes. Of the canine variety. :-/

sharki
    Free Member

I was watching the moon rise from the quantocks last night, was amazing to see the bright orange ball rise up from the horizon, truly magnificent so much so i'm heading up there now for some more.

teagirl
    Free Member

Are those pics of what's referred to as Hunters Moon? Or am I way off?

CountZero

user_removed, that is a stunning lunar halo. I took one the other evening hand holding the camera on top of a washing line, but my wide angle wasn't quite wide enough to get it all in, although it wasn't blurred, which was something.You ought to send that to the Cloud Appreciation Society, I'm sure they'd love it.

Kato

nah the Hunters Moon comes in October/November

The moon was orange and really big down south last night

muddy@rseguy

Nice pic 🙂

Its actually not that wierd or uncommon as the halo is due to light refracting off ice crystals in thin clouds the upper atmosphere.

It can also happen with sunlight and you can get halo effects from an aircraft shadow cast on clouds.

A Hunters moon is the first full moon after a Harvest moon which is the first full moon after the Autumn equinox.

tyger
    Free Member

Whereas a "Blue moon" is the second full moon that occurs in the same month. 🙂

racefaceec90

that's a great pic user_removed.i hope to get a compact digital camera,sometime this year,to take wildlife/landscape pics whilst out on my bike.i would love to be able to take as good photos as yourself/other singletrack photographers.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wanna see something weird? (moon pic)’ is closed to new replies.