Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Walna Scar
  • Gilles

Classical loop to Walna Scar – Here my video to remind people of how it looks if they did it, or what to expect if you want to do it:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdamg0VrIYE[/video]

cheers

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bon – my local hills, well next to.

lowey

Good Stuff. Enjoyed that.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ace. Is it still a good ride? I’ve heard tell of trail sanitation…

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve experience the trail sanitation, about 5 years ago. Has the worst of that washed away yet?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s washed out a bit – 12 months since I’ve ridden it but the top wasn’t touched it was only the run from the bottom the zig zags to little arrow moor that was affected but it has weathered back a fair bit.

flyingmonkeycorps

Worth doing? Anything better in the area? I’ve a week off between finishing one job and starting another and it’s on my radar for doing.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Worth doing. Loads in the area.

Do the above loop
    Day in Grizedale
    Midweek cheeky coppermines etc (search on here, sanny’s got the dope)
    Blawith Common for a short loop
    Loughrigg/tilberthwaite
    Claife
    Stakes/Rosset Ghyll
    Harter Fell

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d say there is better in the Western Lakes. My favourites are-

Grisedale Pike (amazing trail this, best of the year so far for me- takes stones on the first bit of the descent though!)
    Whiteless Pike
    Warnscale Pass
    The descent from Craghill to Sail to Stile End to Braithwaite
    Cheeky descent of Skiddaw to Ullock Pike

I’m also having a crack at Coppermines or Wet Side Edge based on Sanny the Oracle’s recommendations this week.

There’s plenty of good stuff in the East too, all fairly well known though- ask if you want some tips.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the Walna descent like now?

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve done most of the stuff in Grizedale I think, I was thinking of a day in there (I like the campsite!) then a day doing sommat big, but there’s so much to choose from.

I thought about Ullock Pike as it’ll be midweek, but I’m not sure I want anything super tech as I’ll be out on my own and I’m a big wuss at the best of times.

scruff
    Free Member

Hora, its still pretty smooth. Allows you to look at the view though.

hora
    Free Member

🙁

munrobiker
    Free Member

I would suggest Whiteless Pike in that case FMC- it’s not mega technical without being tame and is a genuinely nice day out. Ullock Pike does have some bits of maximum steepocity that’re pretty wild!

flyingmonkeycorps

Just had a look, Whiteless Pike looks awesome (and ideal). Looks like downhill to Buttermere is the way to do it, is that right? Best as an up and down or is there a good way to loop it?

thekettle
    Free Member

FMC: up Gasgale Gill onto Wandope if you’re starting from Buttermere makes a good loop.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cool, that looks like a goodun. Ta very much gents.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’m planning on heading there on Friday, what’s the best route do you think? Any chance of a gpx file?

Thanks!

lowey

Or Start Buttermere, over Rigg Beck, then either climb up Stoneycroft Ghyl and onto Sail / Cragg hill… or round to Braithwaite and up to Coledale Hause then up onto Whitless.

Both cracking days out. Whitless descent is one of my favourites.

flyingmonkeycorps

That looks good too. How about up Coledale Beck from Braithwaite > Eel Crags > Wandope > Whiteless > Buttermere then back to Braithwaite via Rigg Beck? Or does that make it a lot longer for little benefit?

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s a pretty long day out anyway (though that may have been because it was gloriously sunny when we did it and we were soaking it all in)- we went up Stonycroft Gill because it is 80% rideable going up that way with only the last ascent to Sail and the last bit of the ascent to Crag being hike a bike if you’re reasonably fit.

I’ve not ridden the route you suggest along Coledale beck going uphill but see no reason why it wouldn’t be a good way to do it. Bear in mind the long road slog back to Braithwaite at the end if you do it that way!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ace pic munrobiker – looks epic!

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah there is that. Minimal road would be good. And to be fair I’ll be faffing with cameras and (hopefully) enjoying the view, so shorter is probably better. Plenty of options either way.

TomB

From buttermere I’d come back up honister pass by road then borrowdale bash home. Road is a bit of a slog but gives you lots of height gain.
    Coledale beck to the mine is a gravel road, then it’s hike a bike to coledale hause. I’d go up to barrow door then sail, as much more of the climbing is rideable

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whiteless pike has been on my list for a wee while, good to see a few options on this thread.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d say regardless of how you get up there when you get to the bottom of Whiteless Pike turn right before Grassgarth Coppice and take the lower singletrack to High Rannerdale- it’s really nice.

flyingmonkeycorps

Duly noted. (I need to dig out my 1:25k OS map and have a proper look tonight, 1:50k isn’t cutting it)

failedengineer

has anyone combined it with the BW on the LH side of Crummock Water, over Mosedale to Loweswater? Looks like both routes together would be quite good …

excitable1
    Free Member

Just tagging for some more route ideas.

failedengineer

There really must be some riding gods on here. After reading this thread a couple of weeks ago I decided to walk up Gasgale Gill and down Whiteless Pike to suss it out as a ride. The first part of the walk up the Gill is a scramble in places and other parts would be downright dangerous carrying a bike, never mind trying to ride. The first bit of the descent off Whiteless Pike seems unrideable to mere mortals like me. Maybe there’s another hill with the same name? I’d love to see video footage of someone doing that route.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Walna Scar’ is closed to new replies.