• This topic has 38 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Walking and activity monitors
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone else getting caught up in this? I got a vivoactive for Xmas as did a few colleagues, what started as a fun challenge has ended up in open warfare. I have been enjoying going for a walk recently though, after a tumble on the bike I had taken to getting out with a playlist and maybe stopping for a bite. The competition part is taking it to a different level though.

roper
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about one, but wonder if I need it. Does yours monitor your heart rate too? Would you say the readings are accurate?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

roper, I have the Garmin vivoactive hr and it monitors heart rate with an optical wrist sensor, and so far I’ve no reason to question it’s accuracy. You can also pair it up with a chest strap though. Dc rainmaker has as much info as you’ll ever need!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use the health app in my iphone to monitor movement daily and endomondo to log longer walks/hikes. I am sure both over state to some degree,

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got an Apple watch for christmas. I wouldn’t have bought one myself but happy to receive as a gift. The health features on it are pretty good. The HRM is pretty accurate as far as I can tell, but when doing exercise I tighten the strap because I can’t see how the HRM can work well if it is loose on your wrist. Not sure if the calorie estimates and other parameters are ‘precise’ – i’ve not done back to back tests with anything else, but that is irrelevant with stuff like this as long as the results are repeatable i.e. accurate, and so track trends and how you’re doing relative to previous efforts, which they appear to be. Did a couple of spin classes this week and a couple of circuit classes and done a couple of walks over the holiday period and the results are repeatable so it does appear to be pretty accurate. No reason why FitBitz or other similar things won’t be as good as they all use the same technology.

prawny

I got a forerunner 235 after the Fenix 3 thread on here. HR seems very accurate, will do a proper test on Monday as I’ve got the house to myself in the evening to pour over the results.

I think the step counter is better than my old pebble, I do surprisingly few steps during the day, but I think my bike commute makes up for it. Calorie calculation seems decent too it’s giving me about 2500 for a normal day 3500 for a day when I ride 40 miles to work.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin HR one. I really like it. Like to see how many steps/miles/calories I’ve done in a day. I’d say it does make me get out and walk more.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just got a Vivoactive HR as well, wanted a Fenix 5 for the looks, but overkill really. So far I am impressed with it on the most part. Bluetooth syncing is so much better than pissing about with a USB ant+ adapter like I had to do with my 910XT. At first I was a bit meh about the screen, but it’s responsive enough, and only running a low res 205 x 148 allows it to run 8 days-ish in smart watch/hr mode. GPS locks on quickly, and has GLONASS if you really want to get locked on.

Bonuses I didn’t expect, was being able to control any music player from the watch, and customisable watch faces from the IQ store, as well as extra datafields and apps.

I have it integrated with MFP and Apple Healthkit, which took a bit of wrangling to make sure no sync loops were created, however due to Garmin’s esoteric syncing timings it’s not exactly how I would want it. But it wouldn’t be a Garmin without shitty software.

I got mine for £160 from John Lewis, as got them to price match Decathalon. Could have got it for £144 from GoOutdoors, but preferred the extra years warranty from JL, and given GO has just been bought by JD Sports, I’d rather deal with JL if any issues came up.

My current watch face:

zilog6128

all iPhones automatically track steps/walking; I imagine other phones can too so no real need to buy a dedicated activity monitor IMO unless you have another use for it as well. I’m pretty active anyway but it’s definitely made me more conscious of activity levels. I always try to get my 10k steps in on any day I’m not riding.

Jamie
    Free Member

I was of the same thinking, Zilog. That’s why I held off till one was available with GPS and waterproof, so could replace my 910xt. So if I get bored of tracking, I still have a useful device, rather than a £100+ pedometer.

I wouldn’t have bought a regular one, as like you say, phone does basic tracking fine.

wwaswas

I have the vivoactive hr. It’s great for activity monitoring but I had to stop wearing it at night as a) the green glow from the hr is really bright when it kicks in and b) I found I got stressed about how much/little sleep it was recording.

zilog6128

I was of the same thinking, Zilog. That’s why I held off till one was available with GPS and waterproof, so could replace my 910xt.

A mate has that Garmin one, you can download golf courses to it & it tells you how far you are from the hole, etc. Pretty handy (for golfists) apparently!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loving my Forerunner 235. Connects to my AMT sensors and uploads activities as soon as I’m done. The steps count is interesting and the command to MOVE! Every now and then reminds me that I’ve been sat at my desk for an hour.

Kuco

I use a TomTom spark 3. Wear it 24/7, choosed it over a garmin for the music function.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Google Fit app is free and should work with most Android gadgets. By default it records walking and running, but you can also link it to Strava to integrate any cycling you do too.

One thing I would say is that it does not work very well when I have my Nexus 7 2013 tablet in battery saver mode, which results in the app grossly underestimating how far I’ve walked (figures ~33% of expected results).

https://www.google.com/fit/

I’ve been thinking about a ~£75 Sony Smartwatch 3 for a few months, more for cycling than anything else, but part of me thinks just keep using my Nexus tablet (despite its bulk and it does fit in the rear zipped pocket of my newish PX Hydrosphere jacket) and also I’ve not worn a watch for years (and like many of these gadgets the SSW3 is not small).

jam-bo

The steps count is interesting and the command to MOVE! Every now and then reminds me that I’ve been sat at my desk for an hour.

Before I turned that off for being annoying, I used to outwit it by getting up and walking to the canteen for cake.

Jamie
    Free Member

a) the green glow from the hr is really bright when it kicks in

I would politely suggest you’re wearing it too loose if you can see the HR laser beams. I know the temptation is too wear it looser due to that annoying HR bump, but it needs to have a light proof seal to work ok.

Interesting to see the new Fenix 5 have smooth HR sensors now.

Moses

The Google Fit app is free and should work with most Android gadgets. By default it records walking and running, but you can also link it to Strava to integrate any cycling you do too.

Fit records cycling time fine if you carry your phone in your trouser pocket. If GPS is switched on, it’s fine for distance and route covered too.

Jamie
    Free Member

The biggest issue with the Vivoactive HR, is it’s quite bulky. Just brained it on a door frame while holding some boxes. Now have a lovely scratch on the body/buttons. Good job I popped a screen protector on yesterday.

Surprised it took this long, tho.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

YoKaiser – Member

Anyone else getting caught up in this? I got a vivoactive for Xmas as did a few colleagues, what started as a fun challenge has ended up in open warfare. I have been enjoying going for a walk recently though, after a tumble on the bike I had taken to getting out with a playlist and maybe stopping for a bite. The competition part is taking it to a different level though.

Mine arrived this morning! 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

I got given a basic one – wore it for 3 months during an activity challenge and ultimately came to the conclusion it was a bit pointless for me.

I don’t need motivating to go exercise, nor do I find steps a day that interesting. The sleep tracking was interesting for a few weeks, but more or less just told me what i already knew (sleep quality pretty good, could do with getting a little more).

Pickers

Mrs Pickers bought me a Polar one for Xmas, quite like it – it’s more watch sized than some. About £80 I think and came with a proper HR strap. It seems to do the normal activity stuff, but can also record rides and walks etc.

There’s also an activity warning that tells you after an hour or so to get up and move.
    The distance from my chair to the fridge is just enough to make this go away….

Jamie
    Free Member

ultimately came to the conclusion it was a bit pointless for me.

I was of the same conclusion till I saw the Vivoactive HR. The GPS part of it means even if I stop using it as a tracker, it can still be used to log walks, runs, rides etc.

GrahamS

I have the Garmin vivofit 2.

It is much more basic than some, no GPS or HR monitor, it’s basically a glorified pedometer and sleep monitor.

Good things are that it never needs charging (it has run on the current battery for 18 months now), plus it’s light, comfortable to wear and completely waterproof – so basically I never take it off.

It has the “inactivity” bar which grows to remind you how inactive you are and disappears when you go for a walk. A handy little nudge when you are in a sedentary job like mine.

(Got mine free from work – not sure I would have bought one myself but quite like having it now).

perchypanther
    Free Member

Santa brought me a Fitbit Charge HR 2 and I’m quite liking it thus far.
    Not at all convinced that the step counting /distance / HR / calorie tracking is even remotely accurate but that doesn’t actually matter as I’m using it as a comparison of my own activity day to day rather than as a reference to external data.

Probably worth it just for the ability to read texts received without taking my phone out my pocket TBH.

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably worth it just for the ability to read texts received without taking my phone out my pocket TBH.

I was surprised how much I enjoy that feature on my Garmin. Get all text/email notifications, can answer calls, control music etc.

Just doing a battery test at the moment. Charged it last Tuesday night at 9pm. Currently got 18% left, and that includes 3-4 hours of GPS use over the weekend.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a Fitbit Blaze and love it – automatically tracks movement (it even recognises the difference between running, walking and cycling – for example, if I go for a quick SS bimble with my daughters or commute to work on my bike it records it as a bike ride) but I also have it synced with Strava on my iPhone for running and cycling so it can GPS track the activity too.

spawnofyorkshire

I have the Vivoactive HR as well, very much prefer it to the Polar M400 it replaced. GPS accuracy seems pretty good without GLONASS as well.
    I get a bit confused by the resting heartrate calc they use as I’m generally around 45bpm (awake, sat down) but the watch tells me it’s over 50bpm a lot of the time :/
    I’ve been step counting a few years now and find it a good motivator to get up and move around

I’ve also set up my watch to control my home heating through a couple of basic commands on the Maker app and IFTTT

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was of the same conclusion till I saw the Vivoactive HR. The GPS part of it means even if I stop using it as a tracker, it can still be used to log walks, runs, rides etc.

Yep, Decided it was a more viable option than my Edge 520, The Vivo will be used far more than the 520 ever was. And not having the edge on the bars is an added bonus.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve also set up my watch to control my home heating through a couple of basic commands on the Maker app and IFTTT

Go on….

bombjack
    Free Member

‘ve been thinking about a ~£75 Sony Smartwatch 3 for a few months, more for cycling than anything else, but part of me thinks just keep using my Nexus tablet (despite its bulk and it does fit in the rear zipped pocket of my newish PX Hydrosphere jacket) and also I’ve not worn a watch for years (and like many of these gadgets the SSW3 is not small).

I really rate my smartwatch 3 – maybe not so much as an extension of my phone, but as a cheap fitness device its pretty good. Pop ghost runner on it and you can record rides etc without your phone, it’ll upload to strava and IME is just as accurate as riding with a phone in your pocket.
    Swim.com is another decent app if your into fitness as it’ll track swim distances (pool only) and stroke rate etc.
    I find it over estimates my steps compared to my phone, but I’ll take that as the phone being incorrect 😉

jam-bo

I’m guessing he means this:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-NZ/apps/f75f52c4-c832-43e8-8f82-7178a9da1985

saw it the other day on connect-IQ but not looked at it yet.

jam-bo

me like..

spawnofyorkshire

Yep that’s the app Jam Bo
    I have the netatmo smart thermostat but would work with Nest or Hive.
    Took me ten minutes and can now get my heating to crank up/down if i don’t have my phone to hand.

Could work with any IFTTT trigger you want

Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting. Will have a play later. Probably set up a few text alerts to climb a few more floors or something first.

Cheers for the links.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve installed the back to the future watch face for geek points. Quite handy actually as I don’t need to swipe for steps.

Jamie
    Free Member

Been trying out Maker/IFTTT stuff out, and impressed at what can be done. However, for some reason I just cannot trigger emails.

Have made a simple applet that sends lat/long/timestamp. Can get it to send via twitter/ifttt notications, but when using the email channel. Nadda. Tried reconnecting channel, using different email but nothing ever received, despite the widget saying it’s all sent fine. Weird.

Will have to work on it later, as got 2% left on my battery and lost my proprietary shitting charger cable. On the plus side, full charge has lasted since Tuesday 9pm, inc 4hrs GPS, till now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Tuesday last week that is…

Jamie
    Free Member

Right cracked it. Now got a nifty little Maker/IFTT applet called ‘I Am Here!’, that notifies up to 5 email recipients the following, for example:

What: ImHere
    When: January 13, 2017 at 02:15PM
    Position: 52.567629,-0.268941
    Altitude: -4
    Map: http://ift.tt/2inQa8x

using code…

What: {{EventName}}
    When: {{OccurredAt}}
    Position: {{Value1}}
    Altitude: {{Value2}}
    Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q={{Value3}}&z=14

With the special values in the widget’s settings: Value 1 = Position / Value 2 = Altitude / Value 3: Position.

Always wanted a quick way to broadcast/save my location, when I find something interesting while out, or need to know someone where I am, and now I have it.

Obviously it’s knackered if I don’t have any signal on me phone.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Walking and activity monitors’ is closed to new replies.