Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • WAHOO im getting a DOG :)
  • Sui
    Free Member

following on from this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-i-was-allowed-a-dog-it-would-have-to-fit-very-strict-guidelines-the-wife

I appear to have a choice of early birthday (June) present. 8)

SWEEEET..

loddrik
    Free Member

What model of dog?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

what size legs?

you really need to make those walks come alive!!

DezB
    Free Member

Been watching Crufts? Must be one of those beautiful standard poodles then…
    Anyone else feel cheated when something so un-dog-like wins?
    I liked the commentary “The dog lives in the UK and the owners live in Australia” (or something) great dog then.

Sui
    Free Member

I’ve been leaning towards a Sprocker because of the yougn’uns in the house. Gentle enough, small enough (but also not too small) but can run a good 10mile (eventually).. Last dog (before family) was a Rotty so I’m more used to big dogs, but compromises must be made..

Sui
    Free Member

YEs Crufts was watched, and I was really egging on Brandon (Rotty) to win, it did well to get where it did though. But yes the poodles, I feel sorry for them, the winner must have had right chilly bollox…

wallop

I’d love to get a dog, but unfortunately I have to go to work 😥

Doggies are ace.

Sui
    Free Member

I’m lucky I work from home a lot, and mum and kids are generally here as well. However, my early Birthday present comes with, and I kid you not, a contract I need to sign on what does/doesn’t go, responsibilities (me) and actions, all neatly rolled up into a hand made kiddy card type thing.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I liked the commentary “The dog lives in the UK and the owners live in Australia”

Just highlights how **** up the whole Crufts/KC thing is.

The BBC dropped it because of issues with over breeding and the internal politics of the KC.

Get a rescue mongrel would be my suggestion, I would never get a KC registered dog ever again.

tonyd

We got a Sprocker recently for pretty much the same reasons as you by the sounds of things. She’s GORGEOUS and great with the kids. Our boys are 3 and 4, it took a few weeks for them to get used to each other, plenty of tears as she was a bit nippy and jumpy to start with but she’s now excellent with the kids. The wife has been taking her to puppy training classes and she’s responding well.

I’d like her to be able to come on runs and rides with me once she’s old enough – you have to be careful not to walk them too far for the first year. The kids are doing a great job of training her for the bike, she’ll happily run alongside or around them whilst they’re riding their bikes.

Wife is at home as the kids are just part time at pre-school so we’re lucky that someone is around the house most of the time. All in all we’re very happy with her.

This is the only photo I have of her to hand, shortly after she came home. She was about 8 weeks old here.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d love to get a dog, but unfortunately I have to go to work

I’m just far far too lazy. Kids want a dog but I just couldn’t be arsed taking it for a walk in the morning and at night. Which is a shame as I reckon it’d be great fun.

anagallis_arvensis

What annoys me about Crufts and the like, this Bassett hound was bred for hunting and should be atheltic. **** me it was bred to a breed standard and can hardly walk. The best greyhound looked like it had never run judging by its lack of muscle. The bulldog was bred for fighting and blah blah….my lucher would eat a bulldog in 30 seconds flat if she was pissed off enough! Then Airedales were used in WW1, yes but they look **** all like modern airedales which became so inbred in the 80’s they became almost uncontrolable. **** utter ****.

loddrik
    Free Member

The KC are a disgrace. Why aren’t they doing more to encourage the breeding out of the physical characteristics which afflict certain breeds. I’m thinking the breathing problems of brachycephalic dogs like bulldogs and pugs.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Crufts.. all those dogs are in bread..

anagallis_arvensis

Sui
    Free Member

LOL @ C9

Tony where did you get your Sprocker form in the end, I remember your thread about that…? Very cute looking btw..

rewski
    Free Member

Me too, we dog sat for a weekend, ordered a pup next day, take delivery in June, that’s ages away.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

sui, good choice with the spaniel cross, they are full of beans and complete clowns

I’d still recommend a staffie, great dog around kids, need a good daily walk (much like spaniels), but very low maintenance (grooming, etc). pretty good as a guard dog too if our experience is anything to go by.

aa, KC is on a proper road to nowhere with the ‘breeding for form’ show dog thing, and the real losers are the dogs, sadly.

about the only one thing the KC shows do for me is highlight the importance of genetic diversity when it comes to the strength of a species/breed.

gobuchul
    Free Member

RSPCA petition

I know there are some political issues with the RSPCA but this has to be a good thing.

DavidB
    Free Member

I am the only person in the world who hates dogs aren’t I?

loddrik
    Free Member

Why do you hate dogs?

Sui
    Free Member

DavidB – Member

no my missus is pretty much there, but will “grow” to love as she did me 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

You can only hate dogs if you have no soul.

A good dog is one of the best things you can have in your life.

not sure why it’s clipping it.

Google it for the full cartoon.

tonyd

Sui – IIRC we found her on preloved.com. Bit weird looking for puppies on a site for second hand stuff! Once we’d decided on breed we worked out preferences on sex, parents (both her parents are working dogs), colour, distance, etc and scoured t’internet. We were fortunate that about a week after we started looking properly a litter was advertised about 90 minutes from us.

We were second to see the whole litter so pretty much got the pick of them, although we could easily have brought them all home.

Good luck in your search. And where are you by the way? If you’re close to us and want to come and meet her, introduce her to the kids etc you’d be very welcome.

mogrim

DavidB – Member

The dearly departed TJ of these parts was also a dog hater.

Del

not at all. there’s quite a few here. 🙄

Sui
    Free Member

Hi Tony, Ashtead (Leatherhead/Epsom). I was thinking about getting the kids to meet some younger dogs first, the son is fine (2yo) but the daughter (almost 4) needs some convincing..

The pre-loved things does seem weird, but have also seen how populated it is with pets. I’ll make a search!

HansRey

Ohhhh i’m excited too! All being well, we’ll have a dalmation pup by August. The breeder was lovely and was happy with us, which was a relief. The pup should be quite cosmopolitan in family history (part argentinian, croatian, english, russian, finnish!)

(seems quite strange to be waiting for a dog to get knocked up though…)

Post some more pics up!

timc
    Free Member

nothing makes me think less of a man than the comment ‘The Missus will let me’

🙄

bluebird
    Free Member

RSPCA petition

I know there are some political issues with the RSPCA but this has to be a good thing.

Fair enough, there are breeds that would benefit from not having silly breed standards. But if you’re going to have a go at the KC why not aim for breeding licences and get puppy farms dealt with at the same time.

One licence that obligates a breeder not to breed dogs that will lead to known health issues, or keep them is shitty conditions, or repeatedly breed from the same bitch, and to make sure the blood lines are not too close. If you’re going to profit from animals the least you can do is take care of them properly.

Most people are descent, but the bad ones are unfortunately spread pretty evenly throughout all walks of life, including the KC. That doesn’t mean everything the KC do is evil. Our dog is KC registered, the training he attends is at a KC club. Everyone I’ve encountered there is a decent person who doesn’t want to see any dog suffer.

anagallis_arvensis

KC are stupid ****, see Pug, Boston Terrier or countless other examples of them causing the breeding in of painful and dangerous traits into dogs, saying other people do bad things with dogs too doesnt excuse them.

tonyd

We’re in Crowthorne so not too far. If you’re over this way at some point then let me know. She’s 17 weeks now so still pretty young, but old enough to understand she needs to be more gentle with young children.

DavidB
    Free Member

You can only hate dogs if you have no soul.

Or if you can’t bear the yappy buggers and their horrible stink, disgusting eating habits, putrid vile eggs, fawning annoying owners who state “he’s only being friendly” and utter slavishness.

When I was young an alsation ripped a large chunk out of my Mum. To this day I’ve not been happy with dogs approaching me at all. If I ever mention this to a walker who has let out of control Rover jump up at me, they always always always tell me that he is different and I should not overreact. Bollocks. Surely I am allowed to distrust domesticated predators and (backed up by the law) expect their owners to keep them under control and away from me.

If I had a pet baboon and it did to others the things dogs do to me daily on my walk to work, I’d be in jail. now.

I can totally see the attraction of dog ownership and the rewards. Not for me though, I’d have them all pulling sledges, herding sheep or feeding Koreans.

anagallis_arvensis

Given that none of these dogs have hurt you they have a point dont they? I imagine you might well be overstating the point too. I mean I walk daily around lots of dogs and its rare ons jumps up at me. People should be more sympathetic and should call their dog away no doubt but its unlikely any harm will come to you. The law isnt what you think it is either. A dog has to be dangerously out of control and you have to have reasonable grounds to think you are in danger. Not liking and being scared of dogs isnt reasonable grounds.
    All of which doesnt mean these dog owners are not unsociable idiots.

richc
    Free Member

When I was young an alsation ripped a large chunk out of my Mum. To this day I’ve not been happy with dogs approaching me at all. If I ever mention this to a walker who has let out of control Rover jump up at me, they always always always tell me that he is different and I should not overreact. Bollocks. Surely I am allowed to distrust domesticated predators and (backed up by the law) expect their owners to keep them under control and away from me.

Is this TJ’s new login?

Sui – Member
    following on from this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-i-was-allowed-a-dog-it-would-have-to-fit-very-strict-guidelines-the-wife

I appear to have a choice of early birthday (June) present.

SWEEEET..

great news, I am sure you will find like most people who own dogs, it makes you a better, more tolerant, happier person 🙂 As its like living with a very stupid clown, who is permanently excited by life.

DavidB
    Free Member

Given that none of these dogs have hurt you they have a point dont they?

The one that bit me did.

anagallis_arvensis

really how terrible, were you badly hurt?

DavidB
    Free Member

Sui
    Free Member

Having started phoning around some of the local rescue centres, they are very keen to keep to their minimum age requirement, so I can see me (us) going down the breeder route at the moment.

tonyd

As its like living with a very stupid clown, who is permanently excited by life.

Very good 🙂

Sui – we seriously considered the rescue option but in my limited experience they’re pretty closed to families with young children. I called into one near us and had a chat with them and they confirmed that is the case with most rescue centres. I’m actually glad now that we got that response as it justified our selfishness in wanting to get a young puppy – the kids (all of us) would have loved any dog but puppies are lovely.

Breeder route is a good one so long as they’re responsible. Expect to be asked a lot of probing questions, a responsible breeder will want to make sure you’re OK and IMO this should be seen as positive. Also don’t be embarrassed to ask them lots of questions, basically when you go to see a litter it’s as much about breeder and buyer vetting each other I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘WAHOO im getting a DOG :)’ is closed to new replies.