Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VR headsets
  • GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting myself a VR headset and have been looking at reviews but would appreciate some real-world advice.

I have a PC that meets the minimum requirements for the Oculus or HTC – but I’ve also been considering getting a PS4 so the PS VR is also an option.

Is it still an emerging technology and worth waiting a bit longer? Or is it worth splashing the cash and giving it a go?

Other than gaming, can they also be used for watching movies, etc? 3D movies?

Cheers all.
    GQ.

tomhoward

I’ve got a gen 1 PSVR, and it’s very much emerging tech. If you’re going down the PS4 route, go for a pro and a gen 2 headset (4K HDR). Not sure about others, but shops seem to have a few demo units in store.

I think the range of games is better for pc at the moment though, notably project cars 2 and assetto corsa.

As for movies, it’s like watching on an imax sized screen, not sure about 3D, but can’t see why not

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I got an Oculus with my new phone. i have no plans to use it.

PM me with an offer if you want it. Unused and based in Southampton

Cougar

Is that specific to the phone? What’s it compatible with?

Lad at work got a Samsung Gear VR with his new phone. It’s kinda cool, but it only works with half a dozen specific Samsung phone models.

andyl
    Free Member

Is it possible to use one of these instead of a PC monitor for work or would that screw my eyes? Still looking for a >40″ 4k screen for my desk but wondered about one of these. What I want is more of an augmented reality though so I can just have a screen or my choosing overlaid onto a wall infront of me so either some form of transparent lcd, retinal projector or a headset with cameras.

Northwind

I went to an event in the festival that had most of the current options and tbh the Oculus was the only one that really impressed. Maybe because it was mostly Oculus Story Studio stuff they were using, which really let the kit shine but it’s pretty much the only time I’ve used VR and not thought it was balls.

Slightly tempted to get one tbh and I never thought I’d say that

tomhoward

I wouldn’t want one as a monitor, the display would be in EXACTLY the same place the whole time. Would imagine it would strain your eyes if you spent much time not looking dead in the centre the whole time, which probably isn’t great either

Del

The ps version is under powered according to the reviews I have read.
    A monitor replacement? No. Not imo.
    I have a rift. It is pretty cool and it definitely has a wow factor to start with.
    Vr is a game changer for flight Sims, driving games, for sure. It’s amazing being able to look around the cockpit to find that enemy and sit back as the sights come up, and looking out the side windows for the apex of a bend, feathering the gas until the right moment is awesome.
    It’ll cost money to do right for a while yet though.
    PCs have the power you need. Consoles won’t get there with this gen.
    The Vive has valve and steam behind it but I don’t feel the hardware is as good as the rift, hence my choice. Steam vr has also come in for a lot of flak, but likely that’ll get sorted out, if it hasn’t been already.
    Good toys!

monostereo
    Free Member

Both the Vive and the Rift are way above the quality of psvr or any of the mobile kit. I would go for the Vive if i where you, Vive has better room scale tracking then the rift and is more immersive imo. they are both good though.

Some of the demo’s will blow you away on first play. Check out “The Cubicle ” everyone who plays this is blown away – don’t spoil it by looking at videos of the demo before you play it on the Vive.

Ultimately i sold my vive as while the software has a major wow factor there isn’t really a killer app available. Things like VR chat are a good laugh though, and i’ve had some proper weird interactions on there (people build there own worlds that you and others wonder around in).

kelron
    Free Member

There’s not a lot between the quality of the rift and vive. Oculus were late to the party with room scale tracking but they have it now. You’ll want a 3rd camera for the rift but it still works out £200 cheaper.

VR tech in general is definitely not at the point I’d replace my monitors. There’s a lot of promise there but developers are still learning how to make the most of it.

It’s hard to describe if you haven’t tried it but it genuinely feels like a different medium to normal video games. You can interact with the world in a way that isn’t possible using a mouse or a gamepad.

The downside to this is a different type of design is needed and a much greater attention to detail. It’s jarring to find objects that have no physics or interaction, or scenery you’re expected to lean on or vault over – common game mechanics that don’t translate well to VR.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Just got two levono ones for the kids. Will let you know how they are when I get a go which might be Boxing day.

CaptainSlow

A proper vr headset like the rift with the additional cameras and space to use it is absolute amazeballs.

I’ve spent a few hours on a mates playing flying, driving, shooting and horror games (and a few others I couldn’t categorise – wii like). He has both the PC headsets.

They can take a little while to get used to as it’s messing with your senses but nothing too bad.

They’re not like 4K quality due to IPD (distance from eyes), where they excel is gameplay and immersion. I really enjoyed a shooter that was like counterstrike..the games are very reasonably priced.

If I had a PC capable of running one, I’d have one in a flash (oculus would be my choice)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all.

The Oculus is looking very tempting – looks like the complete kit can be had for £350.

Hmmm!

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Have tried both the Oculus and the Vive, not tried the PSVR but as said its a bit behind both PC options hardware wise.

Neither would be suitable as a permanent replacement for a monitor, mostly due to the resolution as you can see pixels and reading fine text can be challenging at times.

I prefer the Rift to the Vive, mostly because I think the touch controllers feel more natural than the ones that come with the Vive. The room-scale argument against the Rift is not really applicable, I play with two sensors (location is key for roomscale with Rift) but if you find losing tracking when you turn around you can purchase an additional sensor for the back of the room to counter this issue, and as the Rift is cheaper than the Vive to start with this cancels out. I personally found the Vive a bit more comfortable but not enough to make me worry about it.

Rift comes with some great games for free to start with, including the fantastic robo recall. As said driving games and sims are just made for VR and with a steering wheel in project cars much fun can be had. One game that I found stunning was Lone Echo, the mechanics and the atmosphere just make for a fantastic experience. Also table tennis, make some space and you’ll be diving on the floor in no-time.

It’s worth getting this gen if you can happily afford it, thought I am looking forward to the next gen (probably need a lot more computing power though) where individual pixels arent so easily seen so watching movies and doing more typically mundane PC tasks can be done in VR.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d say it’s still very much emerging tech still and not worth investing in yet, unless you’re happy to be buying a replacement set of kit soon. The main development effort at the moment seems to be wireless VR. Games as well are lacking and the first wave of “shit but the VR novelty makes that acceptable” games is mostly all that’s out there still.

If you’re looking at a PC based option you’re also going to need a pretty high spec PC which makes it pricier than it first looks.

JackHammer

I’ve been eyeing this up, I primarily will use it for flight sims. Occulus looks like the best option for me, but I’m wondering if I’ll end up needing a bigger GPU (currently running a 1060 6gb).

Might see if there are any deals after Xmas on ebay or in store.

barkm
    Free Member

I bought a psvr and PS4 pro in the recent sales and been very happy with both. I’m more of a pc gamer but just didn’t fancy it on pc, just gut feeling.
    Psvr was a low cost low risk buy in and out of the box solution but the tipping point was Skyrim. I’ve since bought farpoint, resident evil 7, doom, dirt rally, rush of blood and a variety of smaller demo style experiences and games (vr worlds etc). I also bought the move controllers and the aim controller.

I think too much attention to graphics is missing the point and is old thinking from flatscreen gaming.The graphics are a factor but I only notice if I look for it, the sense of being in the world is still often overwhelming. It’s emerging tech as pointed out so you pick your entry point. For me the psvr hits the sweet spot between accessibility, functionality, cost.

It’s fun for all too, you can see on the big screen what’s going on, it’s been a massive hit in our house.

I also disagree with the idea that this is a tech better used in driving or other simulator games. For me the sense of being in the world is most profound in games interacting with other people, either ai or human (rec room for example). Stand too close and I feel the same awkwardness as if I’m real life.
    Try as I might I cannot convince my brain that those jumping spiders in farpoint are not real and I don’t need to cower when they jump at my face.

Overall though it’s amazing to imagine where this will go, for me as a 45 year old gamer it’s the most amazing leap I’ve experienced since twisting a paddle and watching a line move in a black and white tv.

Best game out of the bunch I’ve bought is Farpoint with the aim controller. In pvp you get a real sense of where we’re going with this tech. Also The Heist, for the full feeling of just being in the presence of others in another world.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mine is for Samsung 7 or 8

Northwind

barkm – Member

I think too much attention to graphics is missing the point and is old thinking from flatscreen gaming.The graphics are a factor but I only notice if I look for it, the sense of being in the world is still often overwhelming.

The very first modern VR thing I did, was Dear Angelica on the Rift and it’s visually stunning, and graphically about as complicated as a windows 3.11 screensaver. It’s a film rather than a game mind but it makes the point pretty well.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Thanks all, the advice is much appreciated.

The Oculus is tempting me – my PC is up-to-spec so I’m good to go. Sure, I guess it’s still an emerging technology and will no doubt evolve but I’m keen to jump onboard. I need a new toy! Currys have them in stock and can try out a demo first so that’s a task during the Christmas break!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VR headsets’ is closed to new replies.