Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Vox pop. Glasgow cable car?
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Say, Braehead or Science centre to Kilpatricks.

If London can do it, and even wee places like Gibraltar, then why not us.

Part lottery funded, Billionaire Arnold Clark could chip in the rest (the very least he could do)

Great tourist potential for john Muir way.

We could be in for much colder winters, so a great way to get some snowboarding, etc.

Yes, the idea was mooted before, albeit on a much smaller scale

First one to say ‘monorail’…

BoardinBob

We couldn’t even get a train line to the airport…

km79
    Free Member

Thats a fair distance and will pass over a lot of neds.

I’m oot!

Merak

[video]https://youtu.be/0ijLwFbu50M[/video]

poly
    Free Member

If London can do it, and even wee places like Gibraltar, then why not us.

More people in London than the whole of scotland (and more tourists too). Theirs is a tourist gimic that I don’t think has made any money (or certainly not without sponsorship) and is only 1km long. All the way to the kilpatricks would probably make it the longest cable car currently in use anywhere in the world. London has an impressive skyline. Is “dumbartonshire” really somewhere people would come to see from the air? even when there are truely spectacular views for free elsewhere in Scotland?

You’d be better trying to find two places that need a transport link, so that there is a regular flow of customers rather than tourists. To make it competitive it probably needs to cover terrain that land transport can’t.

AlasdairMc

The London cable car is rubbish – it’s in the tourist hotspot of East London, taking you between an exhibition centre and a cinema.

maccruiskeen

We could be in for much colder winters, so a great way to get some snowboarding, etc.

Its a long walk back to Braehead to get your next uplift 🙂

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Good points here folks

I figured that it could be split into stages…Braehead to Bearsden and then up to Cochno hill.

I think the longest cable car ride is in Venezuela, 12.5 km.

I’m sure there would be demand, not least from fell runners and ramblers.

The way I see it, the Kilpatricks are due to have even more paths… they’ve hardly even started yet BUT they can be a hassle to reach. There’s no direct rapid public transport links and even if you’ve got a car, Cochno road is one car wide and maybe not the kind of place you would leave your car.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>If London can do it, and even wee places like Gibraltar, then why not us.<

‘Cos our civil servants and politicians are largely tits.

Or to give you a one word answer: Funicular

Besides, Braehead and the Kilpatricks? What an awful combination.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oddly enough when I lived in Bearsden I used to ride to the Kilpatricks, I don’t see any reason why that isn’t still feasible.

debaser
    greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Huge infrastructure for the monoplane!!!

I figured that someday they’ll relocate the sewage works away from the Southern general hospital…maybe that site would make an ideal base.

Big catchment area of people who need the opportunity to get outdoors in fresh(er) air.

Not just for the super fit, buy for the hordes of glaswegians with chronic health conditions.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m sure there would be demand, not least from fell runners and ramblers.

Why would you want to drive to braehead, park the car then pay to go on a cable car to go for a walk in the kilpatrick hills? Why not just drive to the hills?

And as for basing a massive infrastructure project on the possibility that winters ‘could get colder’, well that’s a risky one.

Not just for the super fit, buy for the hordes of glaswegians with chronic health conditions.

Who quite possibly couldn’t afford whatever it cost to use the cable car. And who says all these people with chronic health conditions either want to go for a ramble or are able to?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Why drive to braehead, etc?

Why not take the bus to braehead?

Big chunk of Glasgows demographic have a bus pass, not only the saga crowd but disabled too. (the fc have plans to incorporate disabled – friendly paths into the kilpatricks)

Why not just drive to the hills?

Cars are bad for your health. Really, really bad.
    Imagine all the pollution to get up to cochno road. And you’re still nowhere near the top of the hill.

Doesn’t need to start at braehead/ govan, but good transport links there.
    Its a vox pop so any suggestions welcomed.

There will also be an increased demand as hs2 reaches Glasgow.

Lots of students with time and a desire to explore the hills.

Doesn’t need to be expensive to use. The initial capital infrastructure would be a good investment for the area.

If it was part wind powered then the running costs would be dramatically reduced.

The views up there can be pretty stunning for ‘Dumbartonshire’ and also allows the gentler folk to explore further afield, car free.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Imagine all the pollution to get up to cochno road

Is there a pollution problem there now? Why would it suddenly become an incredibly popular location to go for a walk.

All these people that are going to get the bus that have a bus pass what do they wear to go for a walk, their sandals and an anorak they bought in 1972?

There will also be an increased demand as hs2 reaches Glasgow.

Why would there be?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

There’s road traffic up in that vicinity now. So yes that qualifies as pollution.

Demand comes from the kilpatricks being linked into a broader network of paths and trails (not least the john Muir way).

I wouldn’t be so dismissive of the saga louts…they’re the ones with the gold card to the rohan shops. They’d be the ones elbowing you in the ribs to get on the thing.
    They’ve got money and a LOT of time on their hands.

Similarly, hs2 will bring an increase in residents and tourists to Glasgow, though there would be sufficient demand from the sub million people already within reach of braehead (or wherever)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be so dismissive of the saga louts

I’m not, I was referring to the ‘hordes of glaswegians with chronic health conditions’, who generally don’t have two pennies to rub together. How are they going to buy gear that they can use on the hills.

And if people are getting buses to braehead why not just have buses going to a base at the kilpatricks instead.

Surely the money would be better invested in the infrastructure we already have rather than having a cable car that will let you view the shite holes of glasgow from above.

I don’t get where this demand you envisage is going to come from.

poah
    Free Member

an uplift at inners would be much better

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s already this amazing service that gets you right from the centre of Glasgow to the hills pretty quickly – bigger hills than the Kilpatricks too, if you like. It was very popular with poor Glaswegians in the ’30s.

It’s called the train.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Outdoor gear doesn’t have to cost a mint.

Roads heaving with traffic, it would be great to leap frog over it on the way to the hills.

A bus right up to the Muirhouses might feasible but would involve much alterations to the existing roads…and you would still be waiting in traffic.

Demand will come from the expansion of routes up there.

Yes, you could use the train to get further afield, but if you’re short on time you could still get out of the city and back on a cable car.

km79
    Free Member

I hope this turns out to be some kind of troll. You can’t honestly think this is a goer? 🙂

Edit: Besides, by the time planning approval, fundraising, legal challenges and construction was done with, we will all be transported around by pods suspended from drones and your scheme will be well out of date.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Incase you haven’t seen what the fc have already done…

Imagine if you could take your family up to cochno hill and beyond, via cable car and then return to town for a feast, having worked up a ferocious appetite.

Or would you rather spend time at m and d’s?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Certainly not a troll!

Thanks for your input.

Though I still would envisage it as part of the general transport infrastructure, to complement it.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is Cochno Hill really all that? It’s a bit dull, isn’t it? So your target market is short-attention-span people who have suddenly decided they want to go hill walking?

maccruiskeen

Why not take the bus to braehead?

Why not take a bus to the Kilpatricks?

So your target market is short-attention-span people who have suddenly decided they want to go hill walking?

…… who don’t already get a bus to Clachan of Campsie to do exactly that already.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@poly “London has an impressive skyline”

Pales, compared to the view across to ben Lomond. Scenery up the kilpatricks can be truly stunning. Proper sunsets too.
    Great vantage point on guy Fawkes night!

There’s still an important question regarding the financial viability.
    The last time I was on the one at Gibraltar, it wasn’t exactly crammed full of people.
    So on what point it breaks even, I don’t know.

Once you get past the light emissions from Glasgow, it opens up opportunities for astronomy.

No shortage of people wanting to go up for a spot of angling.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Most likely scenario?

The city council will announce the project and use it to threaten people who object to any kind of redevelopment in their area!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Gary_M
    Free Member

Or would you rather spend time at m and d’s?

Don’t know, I’ve never been. What’s it like? Probably cheaper than either getting the bus to braehead or paying for parking taking the whole family on a cable car then out for a meal in town mind you.

Id still like to know where the demand would come from.

bencooper
    Free Member

Once you get past the light emissions from Glasgow, it opens up opportunities for astronomy.

No shortage of people wanting to go up for a spot of angling

Ah, so short-attention-span astronomers and anglers as well as the hill walkers 😉

So the cable car would run all night in case anyone stumbles out of Xcape and fancies a look at the Perseids?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

A look at the perseids?
    Why not!

Doesn’t have to be exactly at braehead but I was thinking of that area…like the Queen Elizabeth/sgh once they decommission the sewage works.

You’ve got the M8 a km away (approx).

Still doesn’t answer the question of why people would take themselves or their family out the city for a walk/ cyle, great views (weather permitting) as opposed to sitting in front of the xbox, etc.

Why hike up the cobbler, why visit a museum, why go to the Edinburgh festival, etc.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Strong skunk around at the moment?

My ex- flatmate used to come up with similar well thought through ideas.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

This post would make a great Dee Dee sketch

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0f-2P3luxU[/video]

maccruiskeen

My ex- flatmate used to come up with similar well thought through ideas.

Guy at a place I worked used to do it when he was on night security shifts on his own. He’d come up with a problem at the beginning of the shift and propose a solution then spend the night testing it.

My favourite was the problem that the complexity and energy needed to launch a space craft left human space travel in the domain of the governments of superpowers and out of reach of commercial pilots and passengers.

He proposed a really tall tower – tall enough to make it easy to launch into orbit from the top with much reduced power / fuel requirements.

He spent the rest of the night working out how tall the tower needed to be to make a significant difference to launch costs – how wide the base would need to be, how deep the foundation would be and how many continuous truckloads of concrete would be required and a guestimate of time and cost to build.

The he worked out how many launches you’d need to have before the saving offset the build costs.

All this before the internet, incidentally – he couldn’t google any of this. But he had spent some time labouring on a building site.

When I arrived at 8am the next morning he declared that ‘its probably not worth it’.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Where’s your ‘can do’ attitude?

You must have been living in Glasgow that you’ve no greater expectations than hoping that someone builds a driving range and/ or golf course nearby.

I can appreciate your pessimism regarding the recalcitrance of government to get involved in such a scheme as they have been shipping on us from a great height and don’t wish to give up that monopoly.

Given the transformation thats going to take place up there, I cant see any other way to shuttle in that amount of people.

The fc have been given the mandate to increase visitor numbers up there and offer a ‘wilderness experience’

They’d be failing if it isn’t packed out.

Maybe some kind of corporation bus…but there still isn’t scope for that many people arriving by motor transport.

Bear in mind that the Kilpatrick hills will be a major regional factor in recreation, and you might be surprised at the amount of people that come to Glasgow from far afield, even for shopping (there’s not many music shops in Inveraray)

@bencooper …plenty of trains, but not any that take you to the top of a hill. Maybe scotrail should add a stop near glen douglas on the way to arrochar.

@lobydosser and maccruisken
    Not offended by any ridicule, but surprised to being compared to skunkweed types.
    Could have been any other group of ridicule…bolsheviks, lib Dems, fifth columnists, ukip, etc. Who will it be next month?

Space flight is fraught with all kinds of complications, gondola/cable cars are a proven and to my surprise, common place technology.

Still don’t know about the comparison to the limmy character.
    The guy seems to be the uber-ned.
    Nothing wrong with neds. Afaik, most took up careers in community education.
    I’ve been watching limmys show on netflix, but a common thread seems to emerge that of restricting your thoughts and awareness, lest you face ridicule.

This is the time for radical ideas and solutions.

If he completely runs out of ideas he could present a show, exploring meditation and martial arts, the pasty little ffffffc!

BoardinBob

Some really strong weed kicking about Glasgow just now 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You could start it from the finnieston crane, have a party with deedee up there!.

BoardinBob

Da’. Wur we up that Finnieston cran’ the other night?

😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

You could start it from the finnieston crane

Never gonna work. Remember what happened on the bus to Yoker? 😉

A once in a lifetime chance to travel to a pure mad fabled land.

km79
    Free Member

The fc have been given the mandate to increase visitor numbers up there and offer a ‘wilderness experience’

They’d be failing if it isn’t packed out.

This. Nothing screams wilderness like a packed out hill top full of day trippers.

Not saying the OP is a day tripper. But he sure is trippin!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Vox pop. Glasgow cable car?’ is closed to new replies.