Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Virgin broadband, firewalls and all that
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Having spent the majority of my day in the company of Virgin Media and getting nowhere I’ll open this to the collective.

Virgin BB, just upgraded to 60 mb on Tuesday. Speed has been fluxtuating between 8 and 10 mb (with split second spikes of 25mb). After a heartwarming call with the 2 ronnies who advised shutting off all security to my computer (firewall, virus protection, leave the front door unlocked) it has seen 60mb once and now wants to play at 22mb.

So…..do anyone/has anyone had this kind of problem? what firewalls and virus protection should I be using. At the moment I am using AVG Free and Windows firewall that comes with 7

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Have you tried disabling the floodgate setting in the router?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

yep, that seems to be the only reason now I’m getting 22mb

jeffl

No good reason that your firewall and antivirus should be slowing it down. Sound like the two ronnies are grasping at straws .

BobaFatt
    Free Member

he pissed about on Speedtest, explained that there must be a fault at Speedtests end, then went to MyBroadbandSpeed that has a notice up to say there is a fault and you may get incorrect results, he then said “oh yeah, 13 mb, that’s fine”

jeffl

Are you connecting your computer to the router via a wired connection? If not try that out, could be that your wifi connection is a bit wonkey. Or move the laptop next to the router if using wifi .

jeffl

Speetest.net just gave me 72mbps for the London node so they look fine. Btw I’m not on virgin.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Are you connecting your computer to the router via a wired connection? If not try that out, could be that your wifi connection is a bit wonkey. Or move the laptop next to the router if using wifi .

I’m on wifi, also tried hardlining it with similar results

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Interesting. I was at a relatives earlier after he upgraded to 30mbps for an extra £5 from what he was paying for 10mbps (I think). He’s now got stung for one of their ‘new’ wireless routers for £30 instead of £60. He’s not computer literate and there was nothing wrong with his old one and seperate cable modem but there you go. Did the speedtest thing this morning from 2 sites and he was getting about 15mbps. If you do ring virgin up, they are utterly useless.

Cougar

Get rid of AVG and install MSE perhaps.

Merlinman

This’ll cheer you up!

http://problemswithvirgin.co.uk/

Big over utilisation issues in some areas.

Customer Service dire,

Neil.birkett@virginmedia.com is the CX

I’m currently getting 104 meg, but only after contacting the Cx’s office and only using the so- called ‘Superhub’ in modem mode with my own router

Pity since the TiVo is really impressive.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You might need to take a look at VM’s Help & Support Forum, it’s a learning experience. Well the area about fiber optic certainly is, which was my problem. When their stuff works well it’s really good. However… some of the longer posts would make a plaster saint weep.

The nice lady at VM suggested my AV stuff was slowing my stuff down, that would be in the evening but not the morning.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

the BB is good, superhub less so (new version on way), couple of very simple changes to the config will make a HUGE difference, or put into modem only mode and use own router

also what you stick on the end of it will make a massive difference, had a variety of laptops running at between 50 – 100

customer service is not great because (now offshore / and/or outsourced to Acenture)

ps – work for em ;o)

Sandwich

Rumbledethumps the new hub is needed because the 30MB system needs DOCSIS 2 to run at these speeds.
    OP Insist on a new hub, my first one was faulty and kept dropping the Wi-Fi signal.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Ahh Sandwich that explains it. Cheers. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Virgin broadband, firewalls and all that’ is closed to new replies.