Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Virgin baking woes – whisk v. paddle
  • yoshimi

I’m going round for a meal to my SIL tomorrow, she’s going to a lot of effort and somehow I’ve ended up agreeing to make desert – I liked the idea of a New York cheesecake but I don’t have a paddle mixer only a whisk – but apparantley a whisk is no good as it adds too much air to the mixture.

Anyone got experience of this, can I just use a wooden spoon instead or alternatively recommend me another desert to make? This is my first time baking

jota180
    Free Member

can I just use a wooden spoon instead

yeah

crikey
    Free Member

Go to that Tesco, buy that sweet shortcrust Jus-Rol pastry, buy those cooking apples, cook them and make an apple pie. Buy some custard, either in a tin, carton or powder, make, serve.

Bish Bosh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OK, hooooooold it there…

I would go for a recipe that doesn’t require “baking” then.

Cheesecake…yep, for sure. But go for a cold “set” cheesecake. Lemon & lime is always good as it’s refreshing and palate cleansing after savoury food. The most complicated thing you have to do is melt some butter and crush some biscuits into it. (Hint: crush ginger snaps as a base rather than digestive, and go easy on the butter)

sas
    Free Member

Just make a normal cake? I made this carrot cake last week and it came out OK: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4425/carrot-cake
    I missed out the pineapple and cinnamon because I didn’t have any.
    Or for something simpler make a fruit crumble.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Cheesecake…yep, for sure. But go for a cold “set” cheesecake. Lemon & lime is always good as it’s refreshing and palate cleansing after savoury food. The most complicated thing you have to do is melt some butter and crush some biscuits into it. (Hint: crush ginger snaps as a base rather than digestive, and go easy on the butter)

ooohhhhh yyess.
    i go with digestive/ginger snap mix and chuck some dark chocolate in as well, something bitter like Lidl’s plantation chocolate
    try this one but with marscapone for the cream cheese and creme fraiche (or ricotta) for the cream

mogrim

My 70s cheesecake recipe uses mascarpone, philadelphia, condensed milk and lemon jelly. Base is crushed digestives+butter. (Though I’m intrigued by the ginger snap element, next time maybe.)

jools182
    Free Member

lime mascarpone cheesecake is easy

crush up some ginger biscuits and mix them with melted butter for the base

mix a few tubs of mascarpone with lime juice and zest and caster sugar to taste (I don’t put in any sugar but it probably won’t be sweet enough for some)

put it in the fridge and shave some dark chocolate on top before you serve it

edit, beaten to it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My 70s cheesecake recipe uses mascarpone, philadelphia, condensed milk and lemon jelly. Base is crushed digestives+butter.

Nom!!!!!!!!!!

I’m intrigued by the ginger snap element

Honestly, try it…goes really well with the lemon/lime. I’m sure I just picked it up from a recipe somewhere myself.

yoshimi

We have a winner – lemon and lime coldset cheesecake with ginger snap base!

A photo will be prided of the results at somepoint tomorrow

cheers guys

emsz
    Free Member

Oh right.

Cheesecake is one of those “funny” ones either you go for baking or chilled. Baked potentially nicer BUT they are supposed to be fluffy, so you should be whisking the egg whites to fold into your cream cheese egg yolk and sugar mix, beating it with a wooden spoon isn’t going to work, it’ll be dense and prolly collapse. Hand whisk?

Ginger biscuits are for children, you need ammeretti biscuits in your base with vanilla extract in your butter

Edit: if this is for tomorrow, you need to make it tonight, ok?

wwaswas

Virgin baking woes – whisk v. paddle

does the recipe start;

Step 1) Find a Virgin

😉

igmc.

yoshimi

Emsz – I’ve got an electric hand whisk but with a standard attachment, not one of those fancy paddles I’ve seen

Tonight! I was thinking the morning………this is gonna be a disaster

Out of intersest, one receoipee I read said add the eggs and one yoke – is it usual to add say 3 egg whites and just one yoke?

mogrim

mix a few tubs of mascarpone with lime juice and zest and caster sugar to taste (I don’t put in any sugar but it probably won’t be sweet enough for some)

Sounds good, never any problems with it setting?

Sandwich

Late entry, Nigella did a cheesecake with Nutella this week. No bake and some nutella in the base too along with chopped nuts.

It looked really good.

emsz
    Free Member

That will do, your trying to get air in the mixture, yep the whites and yokes is normal yokes will make it thicker and heavier.

Make it tonight, needs to set and the flavour to develop.

cp

mmmmmmmmm, good call. a lime cheesecake with ginger biscuit base is being made this weekend 🙂

yoshimi

Sandwich – that was my inspiration orginaly but then started getting more and more extaravgant – well as much as you can with a cheescake, hence ending up thinking about a new york baked thing

Think its time to reign it in and concentrate on the lemona and lime nobake cheesecake (Emsz, I neded to start off simple here:))

Well I’m off to the shops shortly to get my ingedients:)

Again, thanks all and I’ll let you know the results

mogrim

The baked cheesecakes are pretty foolproof, too – the Nigella Domestic Goddess book has a great one to make.

Online here:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/nigella-lawson-new-york-cheesecake-305015

emsz
    Free Member

Chilled cheesecakes are much more straightforward and pretty foolproof tbh your SIL will be dead impressed. If your making a lemon/lime one still try to make it tonight, otherwise it won’t taste right,

Good luck!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, second emsz’s advice. Make it this evening. And don’t scrimp on the gelatine…better have it “over” set than under.

I also like mogrim’s lemon jelly idea too.

Good luck and knock ’em dead at dinner tomorrow. 8)

phil.w
    Free Member

I don’t have a paddle mixer only a whisk

Don’t worry about that. Use your whisk on a lower setting, there’s no need to beat the life out of it.

Tip 1: mix in the egg yolks one at a time to avoid splitting the mixture

Tip 2: if you’re going for the baked style, add the meringued egg whites after everything else is mixed and fold them in by hand to keep the air in.

knock ’em dead at dinner tomorrow

not literally I hope 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

not literally I hope

😳

Unfortunate choice of words there.

mogrim

Tip 2: if you’re going for the baked style, add the meringued egg whites after everything else is mixed and fold them in by hand to keep the air in.

Must be said I don’t bother, and it tastes fine. It would be probably be nicer this way, but separating+whisking the eggs is not 100% necessary if you’re not that confident in the kitchen.

yoshimi

Well I did it but went down the ultra easy Nigella route – decided not to add any complication – the SIL was suitably impressed!

STEP 1: Drop 75g of unsalted butter on floor

Step 2: Mix 75g butter, 300g crushed digestive buscuits, 1 tablespoon of Nutella

STEP 3: Firmly flatten into removable based tin and put i fridge

STEP 4: Mix 400g Nutella, 500g of Philadelphia, 60g icing sugar

STEP 5: Place mixture and spread even over buscuit base and put in fridge for 24hrs.

STEP 6: Eat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Virgin baking woes – whisk v. paddle’ is closed to new replies.