Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • viral meningitis, any drs in the house?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

wife has cvid, (common immune defficiency) shes 29 btw

lots of other issues including very bad asthma.

after increasingly splitting headaches, over the last 2 days, she was vomitting constantly, and had a massive temperature last night so i took her to A+E

today, lumber pncture has found white blood cells so she has viral meningitis.

anyone tell me anythong about this, prognosis wise and general info? would rather not google, i know its better than bacterial meningitis but thats about it……

🙁

they have her on anitvirals and anitbiotics.

Coyote
    Free Member

Mrs. Coyote spent the millennium celebrations in Warrington General with viral meningitis. Bloody scary it was too!

However, it's a case of sit and wait. Viral is definately the lesser of two evils and just takes time and rest.

Take care and good luck to both of you.

Kuco

You done well taking her A&E. I worked with a bloke a few years ago who had Bacterial Meningitis. He went to the docs several times moaning about head aches and being sick and was fobbed off. His girlfriend ended up calling 999 and he was rushed into hospital. He was in isolation for a few weeks and off work for nearly 6 months.

On the upside he made a full recovery though when he came back to work he looked like he just came out Belsen which was scary considering he was a big bloke.

timdrayton
    Free Member

i arrived back there this morning at 6am, they were discharging her.

i dug my heels in and asked what they were thinking as she couldnt walk….

another dr had a look, and started off all the tests…. small mercies and all that

Kuco

Hope she makes a quick and full recovery timdrayton.

Hohum
    Free Member

Should have taken her to A&E sooner mate 🙂

From what I have read the prognosis is good.

The bacterial one buggers you up.

DrP

Management for viral meningitis is all supportive i.e. fluids, pain killers, rest, and time.
    If it's viral encephalitis (a different kettle of fish) then 'curative' treatment is given.
    As has been said – bacterial meningitis is the baddie of the bunch, but thankfully she doesn't have this.

DrP

Hohum
    Free Member

How is she now Tim?

I agree with what you are saying DrP, but with this ladies' previous should she have not been taken to A&E sooner? At least to have been checked out?

DrP

Well in hindsight it's easy to suggest she should have been taken sooner, but without a temperature etc, what would there be to obviously 'check out' – someone with a headache could have anything from a hangover to meningitis….

Sometimes time is as important a tool as the plethora of blood tests/scans we spend millions on!

I would say, having given it 48hrs to [fail to] improve, the OP did everything sensibly TBH.

DrP

Hohum
    Free Member

Fair enough 🙂

grynch
    Free Member

viral meningitis.. been there done that got the Tshirt
    CVID … Ditto.

lasting side effects ? .. I'm a sarcastic S.O.B. but I don't think either of above are to blame for that. ( p.s.. check your email )

and best of luck to your wife.

timdrayton
    Free Member

cheers all, she had a sinus operation a month ago and is well used to chronic headaches, so tbh it was left later than a normal person would, and this probably didnt help the drs in diagnosing it either.

thank god for the 3rd doctor we saw…

spk to her this morning, and she says she feels slightly better (at least not worse)

fingers crossed, touching wood etc etc

grynch thank you very much for your email, i've responded 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘viral meningitis, any drs in the house?’ is closed to new replies.