Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Vile language in pubs – is it worth a bad review?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

I visited two pubs yesterday, one in that there London (Old St) and one in Hertfordshire.
    Both pubs were fairly empty, but are normally reputable establishments.
    The only people in them, however, were pretty horrible, using very loud and coarse language, talking about fighting, etc, all to the cackle of the respective barmaid.
    My question is – is this worthy of a bad review online?

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a pub ffs. Lighten up or drink at home.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Won’t somebody think of the children?!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A think a bad review would see those sweary shenanigans brought to a swift halt. And no mistake. You go for it tiger!

binners

Have you thought of writing to your MP and demanding some action? Its probably the fault of someone in Brussels. Failing that, start an online petition. They always get results

lunge

My question is – is this worthy of a bad review online?

No.

If you’re that upset by it speak to the landlord at the time but really, no, not at all.

badnewz
    Free Member

Fair enough. I know of landlords who don’t tolerate the use of the c-word in their pubs, and I respect that.
    I don’t personally think it’s acceptable in traditional family pubs.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Toughen up Princess.
    People swear.
    It’s a pub.
    And why would ‘review’ it anyway? 😕

binners

Did either of the pubs have a flat roof?

You should have rustled your petticoats at them Susan. They’ll then realise they’re in the presence of a lady, and ceased their unseemly behaviour forthwith

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In fairness if you were effing geffing in our local you’d get told to tone it down. If however you responded by giving a bad review ont’internet (and by some miracle it actually got back to the landlord) you’d probably get told to eff off.

traditional family pubs

I don’t think there is anything traditional about a “family pub”?

martinhutch

I always sift through the reviews before going to the pub. Obviously the 1-star ones are generally from loons, a bit like on the Evans website, so I’d advise going no lower than 2 stars.

lunge

Fair enough. I know of landlords who don’t tolerate the use of the c-word in their pubs, and I respect that.

Fair, so I’m assuming in that case you spoke to the landlord then?

kayak23

badnewz – Member
    Fair enough. I know of landlords who don’t tolerate the use of the c-word in their pubs

Calvados?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I visited two pubs yesterday, one in that there London (Old St) and one in Hertfordshire.

Are you sure they weren’t simply saying can’t? The way these southerners mangle vowels is quite horrendous.

badnewz
    Free Member

I think some people have forgotten the basic rules of grammar and missed the fact that the original post was asking a question (not stating that I had written a bad review).

In the second pub there were kids present, and I wouldn’t like my kids to be exposed to someone loudly boasting about how he kicked in “some c%nts head the night before.”

binners

Sometimes, when I am reminded that the world is a simply beastly place, full of uncouth ruffians, i take a moment and have a little cry. Then I dry my eyes with a lacy handkerchief, and reach for the keyboard, in the vain hope that my simple heartfelt review will install some humanity in people, and in some small way, help to make the world a nicer, kinder and more considerate place

badnewz
    Free Member

Nice one Binners, you can do Irony. Full marks.

yunki
    Free Member

In the second pub there were kids present, and I wouldn’t like my kids to be exposed to someone loudly boasting about how he kicked in “some c%nts head the night before.”

Don’t take your kids to the pub then FFS!! Maybe what you were hoping for was a bistro of some description?

lunge

badnewz, but did you speak to the landlord at the time? Posting a bad review will make no difference to what happened, speaking to the landlord there and then may have done.

martinhutch

Good reviewz for Binners!

badnewz
    Free Member

Don’t take your kids to the pub then FFS!!

They werent my kids, I should point out. And this is a pub that does serve as a local for families, and advertises itself as a family friendly pub.

The issue for me is basic control of the pub. I suspect if the landlord were present they would have been asked to tone it down.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You should have kicked his head in, then you could have been that hero at the bar the next day.

And this is a pub that does serve as a local for families, and advertises itself as a family friendly pub.

They are usually the worse ones. Dilapidated adventure playground in the garden, mountain of fag butts by the door and an all day menu which usually compromises of various consistences of beige.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Calvados?

They’re out of curaçao again, would you like a crème de menthe?

binners

In a civilised society, and particularly in drinking emporiums, I believe their are ways in which these matters are resolved when a ladies honour has been offended….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

They werent my kids, I should point out. And this is a pub that does serve as a local for families, and advertises itself as a family friendly pub.

The issue for me is basic control of the pub. I suspect if the landlord were present they would have been asked to tone it down.
    In these days where pubs are closing down on a daily basis and these appear to be doing good business, I would say that the landlord’s know what they’re doing to keep the clientele happy. One random drop in customer ain’t going to change that.
    I don’t go to Wacky Warehouse, kids shouldn’t be allowed in pubs, especially pubs where the language can get a bit fruity. What were the irresponsible parents thinking of exposing kids to such horrors?

zanelad
    Free Member

You could’ve asked them to tone it down yourself.

Much easier to do nothing and then whinge on the internet later.

scaredypants

I don’t go to Wacky Warehouse

restraining orders are different

BoardinBob

The only people in them, however, were pretty horrible, using very loud and coarse language, talking about fighting, etc, all to the cackle of the respective barmaid.

Don’t ever visit Scotland or Ireland. You’ll have a heart attack

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wonder if the OP has gone somewhere to leave negative feedback about this thread. 😛

badnewz
    Free Member

You could’ve asked them to tone it down yourself.

Much easier to do nothing and then whinge on the internet later.

Maybe read the original post? Perhaps you could learn that a sentence which ends with a question mark is asking a question?

I was expecting some intelligent answers, but if this post gives the chaps the opportunity to brag about their manliness, albeit anonymously and behind a screen, who am I to argue!

martinhutch

who am I to argue!

You seem to be managing just fine.

binners

I’m sure all the sweary blokes are going to be feeling thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and more than a little bit embarrassed, when they read your review.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I was expecting some intelligent answers

I think you’rew getting plenty of intelligent answers, they just happen to be the opposite of what you were hoping for and in a bit more of a jovial tone than you expected.

mogrim

Don’t ever visit Scotland or Ireland. You’ll have a heart attack

Or Spain. Assuming you speak Spanish. Or worse: your children speak it 😯

yunki
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9IJlPqt6Q[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

know of landlords who don’t tolerate the use of the c-word in their pubs, and I respect that.

Is it Chamomile? Do I win five pounds?

badnewz
    Free Member

I think you’rew getting plenty of intelligent answers, they just happen to be the opposite of what you were hoping for and in a bit more of a jovial tone than you expected.

As it happens I was looking for different perspectives, and I see the overall point that it would be an overreaction to post a bad review.

But I don’t agree with the line of argument that because it’s a pub, anything goes in terms of language.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    I don’t go to Wacky Warehouse
    restraining orders are different

Quality. 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OP – you have my sympathy.

Our local is trying a re-brand and has hired new enthusiastic chefs. We are keen to support and have been twice recently. On both occasions, we have had to endure loud-mouthed swearing and BS dominating the whole pub. We gave it two chances, wont bother again. If the landlord can’t create the atmosphere you like, don’t go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Vile language in pubs – is it worth a bad review?’ is closed to new replies.