Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • vehicle insurance..extras
  • anagallis_arvensis

like legal cover or claims assistance… do I need it. I presume in the event of needing legal help one of those ambulance chasing firms will help for a % and I would assume any decent insurance company will just help with a claim anyway, I’m sure I’ve never had this before.

dannybgoode

Legal cover = a must buy IMHO.

No win no fee will only respond if its clearly not your fault and your insurer will only spend so much to defend a claim out of their own pocket if you do not have legal expenses cover.

If its 50/50 or definitely your fault then legal expenses is useful to have and for the £15-20 per year is worth it.

anagallis_arvensis

If its 50/50 or definitely your fault then legal expenses is useful to have

why?

dannybgoode

Because you may need legal help to determined liability and no win no fee will only help you if its pretty much 100% nailed on dead cert win for you.

anagallis_arvensis

Am I being cynical in thinking legal help provided by insurers may well just decide what the insurers have already decided?

How did we all cope before this?

bails

And if you’re found liable then the insurance pays out, not you. and the insurance company wants to avoid paying out, so they’ll fight it?

IanW
    Free Member

Because you may need legal help to determined liability and no win no fee will only help you if its pretty much 100% nailed on dead cert win for you

Suggest you read the small print, its the same with policies link to motor insurance.

scotroutes

You may already have legal cover on your house insurance policy and/or as part of a “Premium” bank account.

nealglover
    Free Member

If its 50/50 or definitely your fault then legal expenses is useful to have and for the £15-20 per year is worth it

If its 50/50 or my fault……. My insurance pays out.

That’s what I bought insurance for.

dannybgoode

Household legal policies exclude motor related claims.

By 50/50 I meant on the surface of it but you want to fight to prove the other side was as fault. Your insurer is not going to necessarily fund a legal battle and nor will they help determine or challenge uninsured losses (injury, loss of earnings if you cannot work, the policy excess etc). This is where the legal expenses cover comes in.

As I say, in my opinion and for the money, it is worth buying. Others may decide not to.

Cheers

Danny B

bails

By 50/50 I meant on the surface of it but you want to fight to prove the other side was as fault. Your insurer is not going to necessarily fund a legal battle and nor will they help determine uninsured losses (injury, loss of earnings if you cannot work, the policy excess etc). This is where the legal expenses cover comes in

But I’ve got legal cover through British Cycling, and that will only cover cases where there is a reasonable expectation of winning. I can’t just use them (for £20/yr) as my own lawyers to take on frivolous cases.

dannybgoode

Reasonable prospects = 50% or more chance of winning so 50/50 claims are covered.

No insurance policy – whatever it is covering covers frivolous matters.

You could of course use any solicitor will take on any case if you are willing to pay them however fruitless the pursuit (although they should strongly advise you that you have no chance)

IanW
    Free Member

Reasonable prospects = 50%

Nope it isnt.

dannybgoode

It was when I was knocked off my bike – had it repeated time and time again by my solicitor that they had to check at each stage that we still had 50% or greater chance…

IanW
    Free Member

The contract, as opposed to the terminology used by your solicitor will be “agreed to be more likely than not succesful”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘vehicle insurance..extras’ is closed to new replies.