Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Vauxhall VX220?
  • benz
    Free Member

Well, looks like I might be in fortunate position to have a new job after being made redundant following 25+ years with same Co.

The redundancy has meant that we will be debt free, etc.

Always fancied the idea of a small fun sports car – to commute in and also for a bit of fun at the weekends, probably involving scenery and stops at tea rooms.

So, VX220 in normally aspirated form takes my eye.

Any folks on here owned one and if so what experiences?

Thanks.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

A friend of mine had one a few years ago – not an easy motor to get into and out of but was like a go-kart on the road!

chiefgrooveguru

I would love one of them! Apparently like a better Elise (v similar underneath, same factory).

cookeaa

VX220 must be getting on a bit by now.

How about a caterham 7?

timc
    Free Member

At that age & money I’d consider a BMW Z4 3.0si, RWD, 265 bhp, manual 😀

rsvktm

Still got one that we bought in 2003 as a replacement for a my Westfield and my wife’s MX5 as a sort of half way house, ie something that was fun but semi practical.
    It’s not that fast but a really nice car to drive, has been used in all sorts of weather but always garaged. Used to drive around France a lot in it, spent three weeks touring France, Italy etc for our honeymoon amazing how much stuff you can cram in the boot with careful planning.
    Never missed a beat for us, usual issues of engine mounts and shock collars needed sorting but diy if capable.
    Keep thinking of selling it but know we would never replace it and doesn’t cost much to keep.
    Overall a very capable car that we still enjoy driving it as it just feels right. Getting in an out is an art but once mastered is easy, I’m 6’2 and wifes 5’3 and both drive it comfortably.
    Vx220 org is a great resource.
    Good luck

gobuchul
    Free Member

At that age & money I’d consider a BMW Z4 3.0si, RWD, 265 bhp, manual

I have one. I would not recommend it if you want “chuckable” fun. Feels like a big heavy car on the road.

If you get one, change the run flats for some proper tyres straight away.

rsvktm

Caterham is a totally different animal, not half as practical but far more ‘fun’ and the bmw just feels big and soft compared. Yes I’ve driven plenty of caterhams and a 3.0 bmw roadster…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Mate of mine had the vxr220 (the actual.one the stig drove on top gear) and it is the only time I’ve been scared in a car. I think they look ace.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Friend had one, the dashboard “warped” due to damp, it had lifted at either end. It was a known problem. Seemed nippy enough. It would be spare pants and toothbrush only if you were away for the weekend, I personally couldn’t live with one. Boxster? Z3M?

benz
    Free Member

Seem plenty of low miles FSH ones around.

Can garage it, my old man was a mech and I’m ok with the scanners, so no issues there.

BMW – no thanks. Not the light and simple thing I am after.

My mate has a Dunnell Zetec engined Westfield and I’d rather not go too far in it……

thegreatape
    Free Member

VX220 must be getting on a bit by now.

How about a caterham 7?

😀

(I know what you’re saying really)

trail_rat
    Free Member

I realise its probably tempting due to price but reality id much rather have the lotus, a friend has a lotus elise – his second infact over 10 years- his first was hit head on by a drunk driver in a volvo on the north deeside – which it took remarkably well he escaped with a cut nose, car mangled but passenger cell solid., was his daily and has morphed into his weekend car but he loves it….

He keeps considering chopping it for a caymen but he keeps coming back to the fact that the lotus is cheap for parts , easy to work on and an absolute scream at not going to die speeds.

Costs more but residuals are better , dont be scared of the k series , few mods you can do like route the water flow thr right way through the block and treat the hg as a consumable at 75k to ensure you dont get close to cooking the block.

Or for a truely impractical weekend car , hell yeah caterham

rsvktm

When we bought our VX price wasn’t a factor in the decision, test drove a k series Elise and it was gutless compared and didn’t drive as well as the VX for us. We both preferred the look as well, but didn’t like the Turbo to drive as that was our initial idea.
    Luckily neither of us have ever been badge conscious so the Vauxhall thing made no difference, wife learned to drive in a Lada whilst I was lucky enough to grow up around a fair few exotics.
    VXs are rarer too..
    Used my Westfield for a good few years commuting and went round France a couple of times, anythings practical to a point. Used to carry mtb on a rack fastened to the roll cage.
    When we went round Italy back in 2005, visited a number of supercar factories and the VX got a lot of attention from the workers at Lamborghini and helped us get in the door, gates, of Zonda and chatting to the man himself, which was nice.

timc
    Free Member

Appreciate the OP saying the BMW not for him, fair enough.

Just had a closer look at those VX220 prices though… seem steep

nixie

The BMW isn’t a small fun sports car.

If you don’t mind the looks a vx is great. Though be aware clams are harder to replace them Elise ones do to numbers built. If you have never has anything like them before you well be in for a very pleasant surprise. Either are great to drive. Look at Elises too. Buy on condition not mileage. You can get a good s1 or early s2 for around 10k. Whatever you go for http://www.carlimits.com for training then get it on track.

// s1 owner for 6 years now.

mooman
    Free Member

It’s 99% same chassis as the Elise. I anodised both at my previous employers.
    I would go with the Lotus badge though.

spacemonkey

I bought the VXT (turbo’d one) in 2004 and owned it for a year. Loads of fun and the one car which I often headed out for a pint of milk in but ended up going for a 30-60 min blat.

Initially wanted an Elise but after test driving a few I found they were gutless and had to worked hard, especially at 50+. The 111r was the only one that felt ballsy enough but I couldn’t justify the expense.

Tested three or four NAs (normally aspirated / non-turbo) 220s and they felt similar. Drove a couple of VXTs and the all-round performance (better power delivery, more torque and general top-end grunt) made it a winner.

Found one at a main dealer that had been shopped in by a forum owner (the original VX220.org). She told me what she sold it for so I made the dealer an offer as it had been sitting on their forecourt for 3 months. They lost money on it 🙂

It had already had the water ingress issue fixed (look out for that one) but had the notorious flaky paint issue just inside the wheel arches. Many owners suffered with this and failed to convince Vauxhall to repair/repaint under warranty. I made a fuss and got it done (Vauxhall dealer somewhere near Ealing IIRC) immediately.

Owned it for 12 months, did about 10k miles and had an absolute blast. The handling and grip are excellent. A real ‘point and go’ car. Nothing failed mechanically. The car remained properly mint.

Did a couple of track sessions with Walshy (he had the Benetton seat before Schumacher came along) and was shown what the car really can do 🙂

Very easily modded (look up Stage 2 and beyond) with real performance gains.

Comfortable to drive (I’m over 6ft). Sure, it’s a bit noisy – isn’t that part of the experience – and the only electric things in the cabin are the heater (which can break) and whatever stereo you fit. Window winders can break IIRC.

Really enjoyed it.

nickc

I realise its probably tempting due to price but reality id much rather have the lotus

don’t fall for the the badge envy. the standard Elise isn’t a patch on the VX220. You’ll obviously want to drive both, but the VX is much much nicer

spacemonkey

Like nickc says, the VX is actually better put together than the Elise. Not only does it feel less ‘tinny’, fewer things break.

duffle
    Free Member

I’ve had an n/a for 8 years just can’t really bring myself to get rid. It gets put away for 6months of the year but did use it all year round for the first few years, they’re not as impractical as people believe two of us have been camping for the weekend. The VX is cheaper to buy,run and insure than the lotus and both have plusses over the other but test drive and make your choice. The thing about the n/a is you can drive in third all day, compared to the earlier k series the engine is torquey. Not driven the BMW but had a go in an s2000 and there was no comparison really in terms of feel and feedback but then again I’m biased ? sorry on phone so….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Vauxhall VX220?’ is closed to new replies.