Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Vasectomies and statistics
  • jonnyboi

For want of a better place to ask: I’m booked in for March and the paperwork says don’t drive home afterwards. Is that them being overcautious after a local? I’d rather drive if poss. Any thoughts? Automatic obviously

Well, I drove home but in hindsight it was a bit daft. Local anaesthetic still in the system etc.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

You can have it reversed if you fancy, way more complicated procedure though.

And often more painful.

And certainly far less successful.

If you are getting a vasectomy, consider it a one way trip.

twistedpencil

Well for those wondering how long from referral to operation I went to the doctors for the chat on the 17th, got the letter through yesterday and have booked my appointment with the shears of contraception for the 17th March. So one month. Luckily, ahem, I got a cancellation slot… Means I’m unlikely to be racing bmx on the 18th…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i had my GP refer me in january. had a consultation 2 weeks ago, and still no date for the op through. so it kind of depends, i think.

twistedpencil

Yep it’ll vary region to region, and if there wasn’t a cancellation I guess it could be a while a way still.

Consultation and op on same day for me though.

DrP

You can make the procedure a lot more effective in reducing unwanted pregnancy if after cutting the two small tubes in the scrotum, you ask the doctor to lop off the big fleshy tube sticking out at the front too.

DrP, no charge.

matt_outandabout

From visiting GP to surgery was less than a month for me.

Matt.
    Father of 3.
    Glad it was speedy.

perchypanther
    Free Member

you ask teh doctor to lop off the big fleshy tube sticking out at the front too

Snip, snip and Bob’s yer Auntie.

Ben_H

I’m booked in for 17th March, too!

Original referral from GP would have been mid-January.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

got a letter through today saying telephone pre-op fitness assessment on 17th may! we’re off to crete on the 26th though, so the op won’t be until mid june at the earliest now. it’s taking so long to get this sorted!

NZCol

That’s why I paid, saw co. Doc on the Monday was on the slab 4:15pm on the Friday as that time suited me.

DickBarton

Yep it’ll vary region to region

I didn’t do that well in Biology at school, but I’m pretty certain, it is the region at the top of a blokes legs…unless of course they are truly gifted then it might be round their knees!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m getting serious mither off the wife for getting the snip.

I know most of us are and without going into too much detail, I seem to be a bit more sensitive around the veg area than most.

Can anyone in a similar situation offer some words of encouragement? (I get mtfu off her daily).

MoreCashThanDash

See if the vasectomy episode of Home Improvement is still on YouTube. Great advert for the snip.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Think I waited about 6 weeks for an appt from consultation. They did ring and offer a cancellation after a few weeks but it wasn’t convenient with work commitments. Wished I’d manned up and done it years ago.

marinmcmarinface
    Free Member

Just sent the form away to get the ball rolling…. : 🙄

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Waiting for my referral now.

I’ve actually got ball ache thinking about it.

twistedpencil

bluearsedfly if your after encouragement then I have to say that it was a very quick experience, less than 15minutes from walking into the consultation room to hobbling out.

Not pain free but I’ve had worst dental treatments, why the orthodontist needed to knead my bollocks I’ll never know…

Recovery has been pretty straightforward, bit of bleeding the following day that freaked me out, over did it because i felt remarkably well the morning after. But other than that I’ve just had to walk a bit slower this week!

No more kids, three more than enough!

Looking forward to getting out on the bike again, leaving it another week though.

Cougar

You’re married and still having sex, count your blessings dude. (-:

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

😆

A delivery driver at work has just had it done, he reckons even the consultant had a good grope too!

Went to the docs the other day for the referal and all seems straight forward along with all the usual warnings.

Thanks twistedpencil, sounds like you’ve let lucky. Three kids here too, 12, 8 and 6. Don’t fancy nappies and bottles again.

fannybaws
    Free Member

timings are a postcode lottery. three months for initial consultation app here.

brassneck

Can anyone in a similar situation offer some words of encouragement? (I get mtfu off her daily).

MTFU 🙂

The crowd of middle aged women gathered around my poor baby mole claimed it was the greatest gift a man could give his wife. Mrs B (when later retold for hero points) claimed the tumble drier was better.

brassneck

FWIW, it was quick, uncomfortable rather than painful and worth it, but do think of it as a one way trip .. didn’t get ‘done’ till I was in my 40s.

franksinatra

I found it pretty straightforward. Not painful, stitches were a bit uncomfortable but I took them out after 10 days or so.

I rode the Puffer three weeks after the op.

My surgeon used clips rather than tying the tubes. I can feel the clips and, if I had more knowledge/opportunity to discuss, I would have asked about the benefits of this approach rather than tying off. They are not sore but I am aware they are there.

I’ll need to send off the samples soon for checking, still trying to convince Mrs S that these need to be extracted orally.

Cougar

I would have asked about the benefits of this approach rather than tying off.

Reversible, innit?

pictonroad

I know most of us are and without going into too much detail, I seem to be a bit more sensitive around the veg area than most.

I’m not doing it, reading this thread made me feel faint.
    😳

You’re pathetic but not alone, not sure this helps but you have my sympathies.

franksinatra

You do just need to mtfu and get on with it.

Two of my friends had theirs done under general anaesthetic due to not being able to mtfu.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Point taken (well it will be).

This reminds me, the paperwork has been waiting for me to collect from the doctors for a week.

Ben_H

As posted earlier, I had mine done on the 17th.

I was first on the list and, after a brief talk with a counsellor, I went straight into the treatment room. The GP who did it had done >14,000 before and we just chatted about the NHS while he injected local anaesthetic and got on with things.

Inserting the needle was a little painful, but comparable to other injections. The op itself was over within around 5-6 minutes and was a little strange in sensation. Overall, though, I’d say it was more pleasant than an endoscopy.

Mine was a stitch-free method, with the tubes and wound being cauterised. All I had was a non-sticky strip of gauze to apply between the wound and my undies.

I literally got up and drove straight home, before resting for the rest of the Friday in bed. My wife brought me nice food all day long, then more of the same on Saturday. I only really needed a few doses of Paracetamol once the anaesthetic had worn off. The worst thing at this stage was being advised not to have a shower for the first 72 hours.

It’s intriguing how many friends came out of the woodwork with their vasectomy stories when I said I was thinking of having it done, so I had some experiences to compare. The one I was most aware of was a MTB’er mate, who went for a big ride on day 3 and whose balls then swelled up! So, I took it easy!

By Sunday, I was up and about and I drove to work on Monday (instead of cycling). On Tuesday-Wednesday, I did an overnight with work in London and felt fine apart from some ball ache as the tubes try to re-connect themselves during day 4-5.

The wound had healed nicely by Friday (one week after), so I cycled the 15-mile round trip to work. I did a 10-miler off road with my son on the Tagalong on Saturday. I did have a little ache afterwards, but nothing major.

I’ve since cycled another 2-3 times on road and the pain has almost completely gone (17 days later). It does feel a little rougher than usual when riding on cobbles on my commute, although I’m currently getting more pain from an Unexplained Drinking Injury to my chest muscles…sustained during a Stag on the weekend just gone.

I haven’t been bothered emotionally about it and, overall, it’s been about as positive an experience as it could be. YMMV, of course.

thejesmonddingo

Bluearsedfly,if she doesn’t want to get pregnant,she can have her tubes tied,surely?

thejesmonddingo

And if not,she can wtfu.

Rich_s

Gotta go for my 12 week checkup soon.

It’s been arranged just so I have the choice to shoot my muck and then dash for the car, drive about 30 mins, find carp ark and make it to the appropriate drop off point within an hour… or I can drive there and “use their facilities”.

Plus there are loads of rules – can’t have done this within 5 days, but not more than 7, must be an an approved jar, with lid, labelled, form complete, must be on a Tuesday between 3 and half past, left handed preferred, etc etc. I’m confused – I am a simple creature! 😉

twistedpencil

Your check up sounds way more complex than mine. I’ve got to ‘perform’ into a pot and post it back to the clinic.

Bit disappointed I miss out on the danger w*nk in the car park outside the clinic!

Suppose I can still do that…

pocpoc
    Free Member

That sounds like a load of complicated nonsense!

I had to get it in to a supplied pot that morning but then drop it off at some point that day – no rush.
    I hadn’t had my results through for a couple of weeks so I rang up and it turned out they hadn’t done the test on it yet. So the doc did it then and rang me back with the all clear.
    I guess they’re looking for the presence of soldiers. If there’s none then all good. If they’re there then it doesn’t matter if they’re swimming still or not – it’s a fail.

Rich_s

Just checked. Between 2 and 7 days. Time for the appointment. Miss it at your peril. Approved pot. Approved method. No spillage.

Blimey, talk about pressure! Mind you, it is at a women’s hospital so what would they know 😉

silvermatt
    Free Member

I finally got the all clear a couple of weeks ago. I had to go through the same strict procedure as Rich mentions including keeping the sample at body temperature in the 30 mins between producing and handing over to the lab. Actually I had to do it twice as the first was so inconclusive! Seems some of the sperm from before the operation were still present months later despite repeated flushes of the system as you’re advised to do. Actually second sample still had dead sperm but the numbers were much reduced like 10’s per ml compared to 100M+ per ml for a typical pre vasectomy chap.

My experience was totally fine. Had to wait six months from initial meeting with GP to surgery so no quick turn around. Operation itself was straight forward with local aesthetic followed by laser /heat burning the tubes. As I was last on the day the room had a delightful aroma from the previous operations when I walked in. Not the best way to settle the nerves! Afterwards I took the advice from the nurse and from previous threads on here to stay rested for a couple of days, wear tight pants and then all was fine. Totally back to normal after a couple of weeks although had blood in first sample which was un-nerving.

So in total took ten months from initial meeting to getting the all clear. This was loads longer than I originally expected but this was through NHS not privately done.

franksinatra

No post op check up for me. I’ve got to send muck samples in the post at 20 weeks and 22 weeks.

NZCol

^ me too, killed my calfs getting it all into the postbox and the neighbours were a bit testy about it as well.

shifter
    Free Member

Just been done, not too uncomfortable after the second dose of local.
    The walk to the car was interesting but the drive home was a doddle, wouldn’t have fancied operating a clutch mind. Two hours door to door.
    Where’s the cowboy emoji when I need it?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

thread resurrection ahoy!
    got my op date through finally, but it’s in a week where i can’t take any time off work at all and tbh i don’t want to postpone as it’ll add another 2 month wait on. the op itself is at 6pm so i don’t need time off for that, but in your various experiences would i be fine with going to work the following day? i can either drive in or get the train, and my job is largely desk-based- what are the chances i’ll be okay to do this, and roughly how long would any discomfort be likely to be present?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Vasectomies and statistics’ is closed to new replies.