Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Van based campervan insurance
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Just toying what to do with my Transit LWB Welfare/mess/crew van as the insurance renewal is here again and is £650 fully comp (42, 2 years no claims on the van but 9+ on other car, no points) including carriage of own goods.

The van isnt far off DVLA’s idea of a campervan so am wondering about fitting a drop down bed and re registering as a campervan.

I know there’s loads of variable but just to give me an idea – what are people paying for panel van converted campervans insurance wise?

TIA

Stoner
    Free Member

just renewed my converted T4 for £208 fully comp. pikey-free postcode though.

scotroutes

I pay less than £300 for my Trafic – and that’s still just a van

boxelder

Around £400 fully comp, but have max no claims.

jeff

Tried Aviva?

RustyNissanPrairie

I can find it for £440 but thats based on a 3 seat van which is what the reg/vin number shows it as but when I explain about having a Clarkes conversion with 6 seats/microwave/Eberspacher they panic and either refuse to quote or its astronomical. NFU are the best at £650 so far.

scotroutes

I’ve added 3 seats and windows to mine – that took it up from around £240 to £290. Have you tried Adrian Flux?

singlecrack
    Free Member

As above try Adrian flux.

Stoner
    Free Member

try Lifesure.

willard

Talk to Brentacre. They were my preferred choice for my van, but I had to go with Adrian Flux in the end due to time constraints.

Mugboo

Brentacre here too.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

£168 fully comp, but that is a 30 year old Westfalia conversion with maybe 5 years NCB, Staveley Head here.

paddyb
    Free Member

Last year before I had the conversion completed I paid 450 with Insurance Choice with the van as my sole vehicle (fully comp).
    This year I paid around 250 with insurance through http://campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ (I am a member) with the van as my sole vehicle.
    Alot of insurance companies seem to put the premium up alot if you dont have a car as well

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m sole driver for the van and own another car (volvo V70) with 9+ years NCB – im hardly a Saxo driving boy racer!

I think im really getting my hat nailed on by the sounds of it! Might be the carriage of own goods/business use for the occasional times i use it for my wifes business (clothing retail).

Have filled out Brentacres form so see what they say tomorrow.

scotroutes

Ah. I don’t think you can have NCB on two vehicles?

RustyNissanPrairie

I have 9years NCB on the Volvo and started from scratch when I bought the van in 2013 although NFU reckon they gave me 4years NCB discount due to the 9years on the vulva. The renewal amount hasn’t changed in the last 2years despite not making a claim.

walla24
    Free Member

Try HIC, they tailer it to you. Mines 220 p.a for a fully converted kangoo 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The renewal amount hasn’t changed in the last 2years despite not making a claim.

My previous experience was unless much changes the extra NCB just stops it going up as much….

FWIW I never paid that much (last quote was 3 years ago) for a LWB Transit lots of miles, full work cover etc. Postcode probably helped a lot, where do you live?
    I ended up using the comparison sites (most have a van version) to get a starting point then went from there.

tomd
    Free Member

Just insured my van as a “camper but still a van to the DVLA” through Adrian Flux. It was 50% cheaper to insure it this way rather than a commercial vehicle policy for equivalent cover. Give them a call, they know this market pretty well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wouldnt insure with adrian flux again if they were the only company to insure – they were cheap though for a modified car. But there was a reason . and any issues become a 3 way conversation.

cock up after cock up after cock up – culminated in the fact that our car was pulled over as not being insured as they hadnt bothered their ass to update the National insurance data base.

With modified cars/vans(and thats what it is – dont insure it as the vin as youll only come unstuck when it comes to a claim) though you really need to go through the brokers.

HIC/Brentacre etc – you need to speak to folks on the phone but its worth it.

FWIW – i dont know anyone with a bad thing to say about NFU when it comes to insurance(family and neighbours ) – bit more pricy but on the whole apparently is worth it. Wont touch my LR though without moving my van to them as well – but thats probably worth while.

IHN

£320 fully comp including business use on a converted and DVLA re-registered T5 with AXA through Adrian Flux.

dazz
    Free Member

Insurance choice for me, £250 in a dodgy area of Birmingham on my converted Ducato, had three months to do the conversion & get it registered as a motor caravan with DVLA, which was so much easier than most people I spoke to made out.

woody74

Converted T5 and pay around £300 including the use for commuting. Getting the conversion certified was easy enough. Just needed to send pictures to the DVLA and insurance company.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Converted T5 and change of vehicle type with DVLA easy to do just need photos to send to them, but make sure the bed is the recommended size.

2gether is the insurance company we use its £250
    or a few years ago we used Adrian Flux

VanHalen

its the work thing that bumps up cost. if i put work on my t4 i find it hard to even get a deal and if i do its pricey.

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for recommending Brentacre!

Have added wife and full business use for us both and the van as a modified van with everything listed. Fully comp is £519 so a good saving on NFU and the vans spec is now definitely correct.
    It now allows my Mrs to dent and scrape my pristine van………

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member
    its the work thing that bumps up cost. if i put work on my t4 i find it hard to even get a deal and if i do its pricey.

Never been my experience, had work on my van for years. made very little difference if any.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Van based campervan insurance’ is closed to new replies.