Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • V – Brakes (for a commuter) – Deore / LX /XT ?
  • nim

Hi all,

Need some new V-Brakes for my commuter as the 10yr old Avids currently in use have had it. Bearing in mind that it is for a commuter bike, will there be that much difference between Deore / LX / XT ? Before anyone asks, yes I am being a tight b'stard!

Thanks,

Nim

tron
    Free Member

The parallel push models (ie, LX up I think) are better than boggo Vees, but Deores will stop you pretty quickly.

But looking at CRC suggests the only parallel push Vees you can still get are XT. So just get Deore…

cynic-al
    Free Member

The paralleolgram ones were a nighmare, I'd just get something decent but basic.

tron
    Free Member

I've never had any trouble with them, and they do stop you better.

nedrapier

When my old (1999) XT V's started to not really stop me at all, I got the Avid Single Digit 7. Simple, stop well, relatively cheap.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=22385

Although the XT's are on sale for the same price… Couldn't tell you for certain which was better, though.

D0NK

parallel better for setting up and not having to adjust – until they go sloppy then they are a bloody pain to setup. For commuting (ie neglected bikes that never get cleaned) I've always used normal Vs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘V – Brakes (for a commuter) – Deore / LX /XT ?’ is closed to new replies.